Calling All Americans in the Mafra/Lisbon Area!

Hello there

I am Lola, 37 years old, from Southern NH, Red Sox fanatic and due to unexpected events... I am nw living in Portugal

So far I been unable to get used to being in here.. it's been one year and I am very, very homesick ...

Anyone would like to be friends with me??

I got skype if you would like to talk!!

Looking forward to meeting fellow americans in here to make life easier and happier!!

Nota exactly American but I'm willing to hangout if  you want

well yeah, sure ...
have you been in the states? where are you from?

i see you are in cascais ... i lived there when i first got here..
living nearby Mafra now ... do you know where that is?

Well firstly I'm a local Cascais person, I've been to Philadelphia as I have family there but that was a long time ago anyway' yeah I do know a bit of Mafra gorgeous little town, great for site seeing, but most of the time I'd be just passing through to get to Ericeira.
But tell me do you like living there?Even tough we are really close distance wise it's completly different lifestyle

hi

i actually live closer to ericeira, i think! the place is called encarnacao

yes, the whole lifestyle, food and everything else you can think of .. is totally different than what i am used to and it's being way too hard to adjust!

i imagine it must have been hard for you too to get used to life in the states!

going back is not an option right now, so i have to do my best to deal with being homesick, that's why i am seeking fellow expats living in the area!

thank you for the reply :)

No problem I like to talk and get to know so no need to worry,and yeah it was, but I actually am thinking in going back state side and settle there for good stuff is really getting hard for people who want to work here as you probably should notice day in and day out

yup! here peeps work way too much and their wages are ... well... way to little!!

i work part time for a media agency out there in the states, do my job online.

i wish i could just pack everything and go back home but unfortunately things aren't that easy!!

i miss everything from there ... one days more than others but not a day passes by that i don't wish i were home.

here i am living in a long term care facility so i don't have the chance to get out much and be around.. maybe i would have an easier time if i could!

other thing i notice is that things are SO expensive!! i am basically importing everything from home, i refuse to pay so much for stuff.
and what is it with paying 50 cents for a mini cup of coffee you drink all at once?????

Hi Lola, is it? Yes I am an American and I am from San Diego, California. I also get bouts of feeling homesick. For me it is missing the climate of southern California as well as my friends. I moved to Georgia (the country) to teach English and after a year and a half decided to move to Kiev (Kyiv, Ukraine) It is very interesting but again, the cold ice and snow has been difficult for me. I have been looking at the possibility of moving to Portugal. It seems to be a friendly and warmer place to live.
I am Parkie. Nice to "meet" you. :)

Hi, Lola and the rest who replied!
My name is Petya, from Bulgaria and I moved in Lisbon year and half ago.
Yes I also had to manage with the homesick, though I go back home 1-2 times per year. Anyway, my experience shows that untill you don't stop comparing everything with your own country you won't cope with the homesick.
I spend a whole year comparing the prices, the lifestyle, the food, the people, .... and I wanted to go back so desperately!
Until I accepted Portugal the way it is, in fact - very pretty and warm country. It's an opportunity being here, more than punishment or challenge.

Cheers!
Petya

Óla!
I am new on this site! I've been living here since last September. I'm on a contract though, and I return home to Ireland this coming September. However, I'm able to relate with the homesickness and all, and if you're up for it, I'd be willing to chat and help you make friends and settle a bit! :)

Hi Lola.
        I take my hat off to the Boston Red Socks, Marathon issue.Times like that will make you more homesick,it's normal for Patriot's.Portugal is a big change from the North East Coast of America.Hahaha no Wallmart's or Home Depot's,Denny's etc.I'm a Philadelphia Eagles nut,never watched a full game of Baseball.I'm sure you'll meet people of kind in time,yes one can only eat so much of their unbelievable chuck chuck.Tell me you miss that snow piled high.Piles of rainbow leaves to be sacked.Don't get me started on that summer humidity either Lola.Of course your homesick and always will be, again/Patriot stuff to be dealt with from within.Enjoy what is in Portugal Lola whilst dealing with your true homesickness.Live Free or Die,I believe that's on your States plate?Take care,chin up.
                       Hello all who replied to Lola's courage.:)

Instead of a Bica, order an Abatanado, sometimes called an Americano. Basically, the same coffee and price with water added. Having lived outside of the States for so many years, no, I am far from homesick. I actually don't feel comfortable in the States anymore so I guess it is not home for me to be sick about. That said, I do like to visit my friends when I can.

The challenge to get over being homesick is to embrace the idea that you are not going back for a while and to explore and enjpy wherever you are. Good luck.

We will be moving to Sintra in July. As soon as we are up and running, I invite all of you above for a housewarming party? Looking towards the middle of July or August. I will let you know the date. You are welcome with your family!

We are mixed an expatriate family (Dutch/Nigerian) with 2 children (1 & 4). We lived all over the place, so we can entertain you with a story or two :-)

SZC

Hi, I would like to friend with you.

Hello Phillip008 -> A small introduction would be great! ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi, My name is Stephen and I am originally from South Carolina and I just moved to Lisbon from Amsterdam. Ive been living in Europe for 10 years working as a chef. I would like to meet with other Americans and expats in Lisbon. Are there any meetings or hang out spots where expats frequent? Moro num apartamento no Bairro Alto.

[moderated: not a dating website]

Ola Lola,

Just moved here from Tennessee and a big NBA fan. Not sure if you
are still in Lisbon but looking to meet some fellow expats.
Wonder if there are any favorite cafes or bars that expats frequent
much like Ernest Hemingway.
Mike

Hi Mike,

The discussion is a bit old here :)

For better interaction I will invite you to please start a new thread on the Lisbon Forum with all your questions :)

Thank you

Maximilien