Driving in Gabon

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Gabon? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Gabon?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Gabon: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Compared to other countries where I lived, Gabon has the worst driving and parking skilled drivers. People tend to drive faster and very close to other cars, no respect of separative lanes and the roundabouts are taken granted as if they are straight lines, hence 9 out of 10 drivers never stay in their lines in a roundabout.

People use Horns and long lights for unexplained reasons, double flashing lights are used by any individual who want to surpass other drivers with no emergency in 90% of the cases.

Most of the time, three lanes in a two lanes boulevard. In other workds, I have never seen a new car without scratches in the first two months of its existence. If the driver does not hit someone, somebody else hits them. It's insane !!!

to drive in Gabon, 1st you have to get a valid drivers licence from the gabonese ministry of transport, make sure all your vehicle documents is complete and up to date (which includes insurance, carte grise, etc), respect the traffic light; many roads are "one way" road so be careful not to enter a "one way" road. You should pull over if asked to do so by either of the force doing control (i.e police, gendermerie).

Make sure you have all gadget complete in your vehicle. Most time they ask you if you have a valid fire extinguisher with the extinguisher card, first aid kit, car lamp in case of mechanical problem at night, metalic tire support, security vest. Dont pick your phone while driving, no eating or drinking as there mobile police moving around on there motor bikes.

I hope this may help.