Luquillo Kioskos

Has anyone been to the Luquillo Kiosks lately? A friend of mine just came from PR and i suggested that she go there because as a child we would go every weekend. She came back and said how dirty and run down it is now.  We're going back in October and that is one place I would like to visit because it brings back memories. Is this true is my friend just "Americanized"?

I love it there. But, we just moved here 5 months ago and I have nothing to compare it to.  It is "dirty and run down" compared to an American suburban strip mall, but I thought that was part of the charm :)

Hi!  I  was there  in March and this past Saturday, definitely unique to the area and have never visited a place comparable in the states.  I hate to admit I probably would avoid anything similar back home, but it was very comfortable and enjoyable.  Everyone there was relaxing and just enjoying themselves, eating, music, talking, and taking in the beach.  Very simple and inexpensive fun.  It was not the cleanest place, tras was stinky...  You may be spot on with it not fitting the "Americanized" palate, closer to South American places I have seen.

Thanks guys. I was there last November. Of course it's not as clean as it use to be but I felt right at home and the people are so welcoming. Yall are right about the comparison to the US. She was just talking like it was the worst place ever. Anywho,  I can't wait to go again!

Far from Run down... the Kiosks have gone expensive and upscale.... there are a number of expensive places to eat there now  and a burger joint for the gringos that every one loves...

Even though our house is not far from the kioskos of Luquillo, I have not been there to dine. There are several places there that have received rave reviews on TripAdvisor though. It's no wonder however that they appear run down because the place is packed every weekend!  I like The Pinones for kiosk dining.

I was given these kiosks as recommendations, never been to them.

"the kiosks in liquillo have a bunch of English speaking owners, BBQ#25, tattoo, la Parilla are all kiosks with American owners."
Hope they are good and clean.

We have eaten there several times...it's not a Chili's or Applebee's..... thank god! The place is unique and the food is quite good depending on which one you go to... the outside looks rather unclean if you are "Americanized" but the insides are usually clean and nice for a place with a beach view and lots of people... you are in Puerto Rico, relax.

Yikes, I thought the food was pretty disgusting. Went once with my family visiting, just grabbed a bunch of empanadas. The fish was rancid, and there was more dough than filling. Promised myself I would never go back, but husband planned a surprise day at the Luquillo beach followed by heading to La Parilla upon a friend's recommendation. I didn't want to ruin his plans and thought I'd give the place the benefit of the doubt. Again, the fish tasted really bad. The lobster empanadas were horrible. The only thing that I can recommend as fresh would be the live spiny lobsters they parade around the restaurant.  As far as cleanliness, La Parilla was ok, but by US standards, all of the kioskos are pretty filthy. Again, I've eaten in some pretty suspect places in Central and South America, but the food was at least good.

We went there last year about this time and the booths were fine, we went during the week and so it was not too crowded. We wound up eating at a Peruvian place (can't remember the name) and it was great, clean and the food was food. A little pricey for 5 of us, it was over $125.00 but it was well enjoyed.

The beach behind there is horrible. You should go to the beach down the road- Monserrate, it is clean, has a souvenir place and a place to get some good food and drinks. There is a parking fee of about $4.25 which isn't bad. You should try that.

How about a vote of the best kiosk and the worst kiosk?
We all can then try the good ones and avoid the bad ones.

Great idea ReyP. This isn't really a kiosk but the pinchos are delish!! There is a guy that sells them by the parking lot.

Ay Bonito is the best in my opinion followed by Ceviche Hut.

Ceviche Hut was the Peruvian restaurant that we went to. It was very good.

I live in Luquillo where the kioscos are located. They have changed. Now there are many options and price ranges. It is possible the person is " americanized"  as you say. If you want more info, please do let me know.

Partial list of options available

partial listing of Kioscos
http://www.descubretuisla.com/category/ … illo\\\\\\

Which places would you recommend people go to and which would you advice we avoid. Cleanliness, safe/tasty food.

depends on what your tastes are, La Parilla, El Terruno, Ay Bonito, Acquamarina, are a bit more fancy. There is Pizza, Peruvian (Ceviche Hut), there are fritter stands, there are pinchos (kebabs?), there are many options. I have a few pictures from my Facebook Page, Capital del Sol. I am uploading here at blog.

LOL I like all the different foods, maybe that is why I have a weight problem.I like food and it likes me back. :D
Sounds like you recommend all of those.
Lots of people here will be able to take advantage of that and have a good time when they visit. Thanks

LOL my pleasure!

We should schedule a kiosk-crawl: A foodie version of the pub crawl.

This is a great idea.  I am moving to Fajardo the end of the month and would love to work on this as a project; also a great way to meet other expats.  Anyone interested, let me know and we can get is scheduled.  Maybe ingridroder would help since she already lives in the area and is knowledgeable.

I just looked at your photos, ingridroder, well done!

frogrock wrote:

We should schedule a kiosk-crawl: A foodie version of the pub crawl.

My mouth is ready.

I'll be down in October. Can't wait to see what you all come up with!

let me know i would gladly be on hand....

Which one has the best Alcapurias de jueyes?
That is my favorite and not had it in over 43 years.

Can't wait to get down there and try the places in September that you rate the highest!

regarding alcapurrias de jueyes, since i am allergic to  jueyes, can not say a the moment, but will get feedback from friends and let you know!

For those that may not know "Jueyes" otherwise known as "Crabs" are or used to be used a lot in making enpanadas and Alcapurias. Those not allergic to crabs should try them. To me they are the best!!!!!!
I seen a lot of places serving Lobster Alcapurias and Empanadas lately, it seems to be the latest trend, maybe due to mainland americans visiting the island? Not sure.

ingridroder wrote:

regarding alcapurrias de jueyes, since i am allergic to  jueyes, can not say a the moment, but will get feedback from friends and let you know!

Any update?
Want to try them again when I go sign the contract.

I will have to try them. I haven't met an alcapurria I didn't like.  The Metropol in Fajardo has some killer lobster mofongo.

if you like mofongo.... there are many places that serve deliciously at the kioscos.... with lobster, chicken, fried meat, shrimp, etc

ReyP wrote:

For those that may not know "Jueyes" otherwise known as "Crabs" are or used to be used a lot in making enpanadas and Alcapurias. Those not allergic to crabs should try them. To me they are the best!!!!!!
I seen a lot of places serving Lobster Alcapurias and Empanadas lately, it seems to be the latest trend, maybe due to mainland americans visiting the island? Not sure.

Rey, jueyes are available depending the season. DRN hava a period where they are "en vela" if you get caught with jueyes or the meat during that time of the year they will fine you. I think it starts in August and last 6 months to give time for them to recover. There was a time they almost got extinct from the island.

hola, correct term is " veda"

adlin20 wrote:
ReyP wrote:

Rey, jueyes are available depending the season. DRN hava a period where they are "en vela" if you get caught with jueyes or the meat during that time of the year they will fine you. I think it starts in August and last 6 months to give time for them to recover. There was a time they almost got extinct from the island.

That is very good info, thanks.

ingridroder wrote:

hola, correct term is " veda"

I guess in my town the fishermen called "vela" because they are "velando" (watching) for the DNR officers..... :cool:

Hello I am not an island newcomer but a expat living and working here since 97... Oy vey...anywho I would love to join in if there is a kiosk crawl....anybody keeping a list or wanting help planning let me know. Love to join in the festivities and meet some new folks ...