Help please😊 is it safe in sibiu? coming to check my boyfriend

hi everyone😀im currently living in ireland but im in relationship with a romanian guy he's lovely. He has asked me to come stay for one month at christmas in SIbiu? I dont know mucjh im so nervous as i only speak  english if any irish people here could help me with some advice it would be great😊

Welcome Lizzylonie

What exactly are you needing advice about?  A little clarification about your concerns would be helpful.

Romaniac

Like is it safe there? Am i ok to walk alone? Ive never left ireland so i just want know little things maybe goid foods id like? Jus some random stuff 😊

Lizzylonie wrote:

Like is it safe there? Am i ok to walk alone? Ive never left ireland so i just want know little things maybe goid foods id like? Jus some random stuff 😊

Lizzy,

Yes, it's safe. In fact there's a topic about it which you should read, Safety in Romania.  I imagine though if you are coming to spend a month with someone, that you won't be walking alone so much.....but in any case, you should be fine.

Members of Expat.com will be glad to help you and answer questions, but you need to be specific and ask clear/direct questions, preferably on the topics of discussion. We cannot guess what kinds of food you'll like, and many of us don't have time to go over "random stuff".  There are topics on the forum that address a wide variety of issues, which you are welcome to browse and participate in.  If you don't find your question or topic addressed, go ahead and start a new topic with appropriate description and ask away.

Has your boyfriend not told you anything about Romania? He should be well qualified.  If he can't answer your questions, or you need another opinion, we're here.

As for food though, I think you'll be satisfied of what Romania has to offer.  There's lots of fresh produce/meats/cheeses here, produced locally and organic.  Best part, it's really cheap compared to most places.
You might take a look at Expat.com member Maykal's (He's from UK living here) web blog about Romanian cuisine
Romanian Food for Foreigners.  Keep in mind, Romanians don't exactly cook healthy usually if you're concerned about that, they love salt, pork, oil and heavy breads/cakes :)  With it being holiday season when you prospectively come, you should easily put on a few kg's :D Watch out!

Romaniac

hi Lizzy
we lived in an apartment on the outskirts of Sibiu for 6 months & it's fine, though I would stick to the centre alone at night. The Christmas Market alone is worth the visit. there are several good restaurants mentioned in TripAdvisor including an excellent American diner if you've had enough of Romanian food. Just keep your money close & watch out for beggars, they can spot a foreigner from a distance & although not aggressive can be very persistent - just ignore them & keep walking. The stray dog problem has improved considerably too. Bring warm clothes, it has been as low as -27c in December.

Hey Lizzy,

Sibiu is great, we travel there often from Bucharest. There are a lot of tourists and everyone is safe. I don't believe any city on earth is 100% safe, but you should be fine here. You can find nice hostels right in the city center. The food is also great and if you are not into Romanian food after you try it, you can find everywhere pizza, pasta, salads or burgers.