Bus to the airport

Hello!

Does anybody know if it's possible to go to the Airport from Grand Baie by bus?

Hi Maurica2,

Welcome on board :)

Yes it is possible  :happy:

Maximilien

Take the bus from  Grand Baie  to Port Louise and then to MAHEBURG. Airport is next to Plain magnien roundabout.  :|

Use the Google Map. :cool:

mauri lanka wrote:

Take the bus from  Grand Baie  to Port Louise and then to MAHEBURG. Airport is next to Plain magnien roundabout.  :|

Use the Google Map. :cool:

Hi,

Not all Mahebourg buses from Port Louis will take you to the airport...some just go directly to Mahebourg after leaving the roundabout...when boarding the bus, you have to tell the driver or conductor that you want to go to the airport ;)

Not a wise option - I say this with the reserve as it's depending on which scenario concerns you... Exception if this is what you really want to do :-) I enjoy bus rides to, but for the airport its a no go.

You might also need to go to Mahebourg first and then take another Bus that will go by closer to the Airport. The last time I took the Mahebourg Bus it drove to the left at the Rose-Belle Round about (This is definitely not the round about from which you will want to walk from). Are there two different Mahebourg routes from The Victoria Bus Station?

If you have a luggage that might not be wise option and also depending if you will be travelling during rush hour times.
Then also you need to take into cosideration that it can take long and busses have different schedules. If you don't want to miss your plane...

Some overview of what you need to consider:
The local busses do not come with space to put luggage. If its rush hour, all seats will be full and if you block a seat with your luggage - you will still have people that will want to sit and have you remove your luggage - even if space is tiny.

Also, the north bus hub station in Port-Louis where the bus will stop, is not right next to Victoria bus. You can take a connection shuttle or walk there but with luggage you have to consider around 1 km walk.

The last time I took the Mahebourg Bus, it is not exactly at the bus hub station but in a side road lane, so you will need to ask around. Closer to the Police Barracks.

Then the airport from the round about is not just right next to it, you also have to walk a bit. Around +1Km. If you have a pull pull trolley luggage, that will not be great and the side walk is not necessarily flat.

Expect travel time:
From Grand Baie to Port-Louis with Express Bus: 35mins
Walk from North Bus Hub Station to Victoria Hub Station around 15mins
Then no idea when the Mahebourg Bus gets going so put in a reserve of 1 hour
Also you might need to get to Mahebourg first and then take another Bus that goes closer by to the airport, it will most likely be busses that go to places in the south - you will have to ask there at the Mahebourg Bus Hub Station.
So at Mahebourg there will be waiting time as well, then duration of drive, and plus walk to airport.

I would at least quench in 6 hours to be on the safe side ;-) ...you can still take a Taxi from Mahebourg.

Let us know how it went?

Dietmar, thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

Sharing experience. I left home at 9:00 and arrived to the Airport at 12:30, so it took 3,5 hours (5 min from home to the busstop). I was perfectly on time, plane landed at 12:35.

I used 3 buses:
Grand Baie -  Port Louis (34 MUR)
Port Louis - Mahebourg  (34 MUR)
Mahebourg - Airport (12 MUR).

I didn't count how much time i spent in each bus but about 1 hour was spent for waiting time and changing bus stops in Port Louis. So about 2,5 hours for just driving.

Taxi from the Airport to Grand Baie was 2200 MUR! Big difference with 80 MUR spent for buses. But I couldn't take 3,5 hours more... So I negotiated 1600 MUR and came back home with my guest by taxi.