Cost of Dental Care in Brazil?

I need to get some major dental work done (root canals, dental implants, etc.) and I was wondering if anyone here had experience with dentists in Brazil. If so, what was your experience like? I now have full medical and dental insurance (through my husband's company) but I don't think my dental insurance will pay for most of the procedures that I need.

Is the cost of dental work here in Brazil generally cheaper than in the United States and Canada?

Any advice/tips/suggestions?

Victoria

My wife just had a couple of root canals done. It was around 600 real a tooth. I never had this done in the states so I don't know the prices there, but I imagine it costs a lot more in the states

I just received a quote for a molar implant (molar that I already removed): R$900 for the pivot (phase 1) and  R$900 for the molar implant (phase 2). So R$1800. More or less US$600.
In a good dental clinic but in Fortaleza. Possibly more expensive in SP or Rio.

I found that dentists are much less here than in the US.  I found that Rio is much higher than other locations. I had my work done in Juiz de fora and much less than Rio and 60% cheaper than  in the US.  Example  three root canals for R$1600.      .

Is that Juiz de Fora in Minas Gerais?

Yes.  It's 200K north of Rio.

cupofjoe wrote:

My wife just had a couple of root canals done. It was around 600 real a tooth. I never had this done in the states so I don't know the prices there, but I imagine it costs a lot more in the states

Thank you for this information! I went to see a dentist on Saturday here in Campinas (1 hour from Sao Paulo) and she quoted me R$ 550 for a root canal and R$ 1550 for a dental crown made from resin. Based on your reply and the replies of others in this thread, I think my dentist's quote was fair.

Bardamu wrote:

I just received a quote for a molar implant (molar that I already removed): R$900 for the pivot (phase 1) and  R$900 for the molar implant (phase 2). So R$1800. More or less US$600.
In a good dental clinic but in Fortaleza. Possibly more expensive in SP or Rio.

Good to know! Thank you for this information! That is very cheap for an implant!

If you don't mind my asking, when did you have the molar removed? Was it recently or awhile back? I am trying to decide whether I should just get a root canal and a dental crown for my tooth or whether I should just have the tooth removed (there is very little of the tooth that remains) and get an implant.  My dentist here in Campinas quoted me
R$ 550 for a root canal and R$ 1550 for a dental crown made from resin, so that would be R$ 2100 total.  Maybe an implant might be a better option (and perhaps, even cheaper!) in the long run?

Set37 wrote:

I found that dentists are much less here than in the US.  I found that Rio is much higher than other locations. I had my work done in Juiz de fora and much less than Rio and 60% cheaper than  in the US.  Example  three root canals for R$1600.      .

Thank you for sharing this information! I really appreciate it!

Hi Victoria,
I live in Vinhedo but my dentist is in SP.  Please contact him and tell him I sent you. He is the gentle, speaks English, French and Portuguese, and is the best dentist I have ever been to with great prices:

Instituto Cadier
Rua Hungria, 514- 7 andar
Jardim Europa- SP
Dr. Fredric Cadier
[email protected]
11-3813-4779

Good luck,
Jim Almquist

Dental care is cheap in Brazil l got my teeth corrected here with less than RS 2.000 and got a perfect result and l somtimes think my step was directed here just for my teeth to be corrected lol. as l doubt if l could have been able to pay the high fee demanded from me while living in England.

Cheers!
Carolkenny

Victoria, I just saw your question. My molar has been removed 4 years ago in UK just before moving to Brazil. I am the kind of people who do not really like dentist visit... (I would prefer much more a punch in my face than a dental drill). So I have been a bit neglectant. Luckily the dentist told me that it was not a problem at all.

golfpro wrote:

Hi Victoria,
I live in Vinhedo but my dentist is in SP.  Please contact him and tell him I sent you. He is the gentle, speaks English, French and Portuguese, and is the best dentist I have ever been to with great prices:

Instituto Cadier
Rua Hungria, 514- 7 andar
Jardim Europa- SP
Dr. Fredric Cadier
[email protected]
11-3813-4779

Good luck,
Jim Almquist

Thank you for the rec, Jim!  I found a great dentist within 10 minutes walking distance of my apartment here in Campinas, but if I should need a new dentist, I'll be sure to give Dr. Fredric Cadier a call.

Bardamu wrote:

Victoria, I just saw your question. My molar has been removed 4 years ago in UK just before moving to Brazil. I am the kind of people who do not really like dentist visit... (I would prefer much more a punch in my face than a dental drill). So I have been a bit neglectant. Luckily the dentist told me that it was not a problem at all.

Thank you for this information!

Bardamu wrote:

Bardamu, you'd mentioned in an earlier post that in Fortaleza, you were quoted R$ 1800 for a dental implant.  Today, my dentist told me that I would need an extraction and an implant and she quoted me R$ 375 for the extraction and R$ 4000 for the implant. I like my dentist but I think her quote was very expensive.  :unsure  What do you think?

I was just in a dentist office yesterday and they said that they do root canals for R$350.

It just goes to show that it's smart to shop around the area. We paid R$600 for my wife to have it done at another place. Another dentist office said they would do it for around R$1.000. Now this new place is saying they'll do it for R$350.

If you have the ability to go around and check prices. Do it.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good dentist in the Ipanema / Copacabana area that are reasonable?   Looking at this thread, I have found the most expensive dentist in Rio!! I am being quoted R$1500 per root canal.  I have to get one done urgently so will pay the fee, but need further work completed so any good recommendations would be great.   Thanks!

Have you tried any of the universities? Usually they accept walk-in patients in their Faculty of Dentistry programs. I used to get my dental treatments at the UFMG Faculty of Dentistry in Belo Horizonte. That's about the most reasonably priced you're going to find anywhere in Brazil, and you know you're getting qualified dental care. In this country there are so many fake dentists it's crazy, you can find them anywhere practicing without any training whatsoever because there is almost no control at all.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi, do you mind sharing your dentist contact with me because I need to get a root canal done very soon and I stayed in Campinas.

Thanks

All you poor things, Iam 60 and never had any thing done at the dentist, I have all my own teeth and not one rotten-one, and the all there

Chan Seng wrote:

Hi, do you mind sharing your dentist contact with me because I need to get a root canal done very soon and I stayed in Campinas.

Thanks

Hi there! Dr. Madeira performed 2 root canals on me. I found another doctor to do my implants, but I'd recommend Dr. Madeira for root canals.

http://www.apontador.com.br/local/sp/ca … pinas.html

Hi ~

Please share the name of the dental office/dentist and location, if you would be so kind. 

Many thanks!

DM

I had a tooth reconstruction and a root canal done at the Odontology Clinic at USP. Free. Just had to wake up earlier than my normal 10AM and get out there by 9 or so to be done by 1 or so.

I just had my first dental work in Brazil -- a front tooth root canal (no crown needed). The cost was R$670 -- considerably less than what it would have cost me in the US. The dentist and staff were very good and I am pleased with the results. In my opinion, the quality and professionalism is just as good as what I would have expected to receive in the US.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : For recommendations, please refer to the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Victoria works for Expat and wasn't soliciting help finding a dentist. She was starting a thread to get people talking.

Hi Mike in Sao Paulo > ?? VictoriaChandler is a member of expat.com as you are, and she is the author of this topic.

-sorry for the off topic-

Im in salvador Brazil now and I got conned by a dentist to pay 300 reals for a temporary filling.  D now she wants to do a root canal on that same tooth for who knows how much.  It sounds like the price is a lot higher than what everyone was quoted.

Sooo does anyone have a trustworthy and qualified dentist in the salvador area to recommend me please?  It's urgent. 

Thank you so much ❤️

Is there a dental college?

I'm not sure but I would prefer a seasoned dentist for a root canal. 

I've gotten work done before by dental grads and students in UCSF and NYU before.  So Im making an educated decision.   

Unless with the price, it's absolutely necessary.

I had a root canal done on one tooth at the Odonotology Clinic at USP and a partial reconstruction of another.

Medical and dental has gotten expensive over the years. Mexico tends to be cheaper
on those areas. If you´re a gringo/a with the blue eyes who barely speak Portuguese
and wear fancy clothes and expensive jewelry.... Guess what? The price they quote you will be highway robbery.

Sooo, if you have a good command of Portuguese, you should canvass dental clinics and ask them for "orçamentos" (estimated cost) of their service for a particular dental procedure. That is common practice in Brazil.

You should have someone who speaks fluent Portuguese (if you don´t speak well) to
accompany you...

robal

I just remembered a friend of mine here in Rio Grande do Sul had a root canal done
last month with a crown installed for 700 reais...

You can get a list of dentists practicing in Salvador and review their credentials on www.doctoralia.com.br.  That should give you some names to call and request estimates.  Good luck!

Thank you everyone.  I have a hard time trusting that a dentist is good so was hoping someone had an excellent experience with a dentist in the SALVADOR area. 

While I'm fluent in Spanish I just arrived in Brazil so in portugués I am not.  So yes, I'm obviously a foreigner to everyone.  It doesn't help that I have gold fillings and crowns from 18 years ago that often result in inflated prices. 

The dentist quoted me 1300 for a root canal and composite crown. So if anyone has a TRUSTED dentist that can do less, I'd really appreciate it!

I had the dental plan through my partners company and it was very cheap for 12 fillings it was like R$8 per filling. I now need 2 wisdom teeth to be removed which is R$800 and not covered by dental plan. This is very cheap compared to UK prices which would work out at R$1600 double the price

If you a Canadian Citizen you know you can get it done in Canada for next to nothing.
Dental care in Brazil is generally cheap. The issue is not how much it will cost, and rather , if the work performed will be up to par. Still, you end up paying a lot less for any procedure.  Choose Sao Paulo if you will.   

These days, in the US, not even Dental Schools are giving you a fair brake on pricing.

Could you tell me the name of your dentist in Campinas? Thanks

Hi, just to clarify, we don't have cheap dental in Canada. Even with a dental plan it costs about 1500 CDN for a root canal. That's why I am looking to go to a dentist in Brazil.