Do I pay taxes on Shipping & Handling if I live in Puerto Rico?

Dear blog group,

Does anyone know the answer to this? Departamento de Hacienda de Puerto Rico doesn't

If I buy something from a US company that will require to be shipped to PR, do I pay taxes on the cost of the shipping & handling?

If yes, where can I find information about this requirement?

Thank you in advance!!!

j. serrano

I have ordered many items and have had them shipped to me here.  I have never paid taxes on the 'shipping and handling'. This is my unofficial (I am not an attorney nor have I ever played one on TV) answer.

thank you!

What about used household n personal items being shipped in a  container/pallet from states? Moved here a year ago n packed some pictures, limen n personal items....do I pay import fees???

They're working on it... be patient; you will be able to give more of your money away,  in a few years... maybe sooner!

Now that those geniuses have passed an 11.5% sales tax, it is even more attractive to buy online and have items shipped to PR.  For example, does Amazon.com automatically charge you the PR sales tax when you check out and pay?

Thanks,

Tyler

hct408 wrote:

For example, does Amazon.com automatically charge you the PR sales tax when you check out and pay?

Nope, no sales tax, same as at other online stores and eBay. You do pay S&H and that can be a problem. Many suppliers only use UPS or FedEx and that is expensive. You also can't order some stuff because "this item cannot be shipped to US protectorates".
On the other hand if the seller is wiling to ship by USPS the shipping charges aren't too bad. I am Amazon Prime member and get free shipping on many items. It took less than two months to make the Prime membership worthwhile.
A trick that might work for some stores is ordering and paying an item online and pick it up in the store.
I saved almost $150 (around 20%) on a new generator that I bought online at Home Depot and picked up in the store. For parts and supplies at Advance Autoparts I didn't pay sales tax when I ordered and payed online (and picked up in the store).

Amazon Prime has been my best friend here in Puerto Rico -- especially since the WalMart is always packed to busting and no Target :/