Looking forward to move to RD - practical infos needed

Hi everyone,

Me and my husband live in Switzerland, have no kids and almost 40's and want to move to RD on the SouthEast area.
We are planning on moving on the summer of 2016 and live from the tourism so we have to be near the big resorts.
We're going to RD for 2 weeks in spetember to get to know the area and we're planning on staying 1 week at Punta Cana, 3 days at Bayahibe and 4 days at Juan Dolio, to decide where to settle.

Does anyone live at this areas?

We'd love to have some practical informations.
Like modest rental costs for 1bed hurricane resistant apartment
(I seem to find only condo's on the net and we would like something more modest, means cheaper)

access to medical care - clinics or hospitals on these areas (Punta cana, Bayahibe and Juan Dolio)

monthly budget for groceries

monthly budget for electricity, gas and internet...

Thank you all for your advices... they're very welcome  :)

Welcome to the forums.  I live and work in La Romana,  kind of in the middle of the areas you are discussing! IF you want lower cost more modest, then you might want to look at La Romana!  (NOT Casa de Campo)

Welcome.  Lots of information here if you do some research on the different threads.

Do you plan on working here? 

Bob K

Hi planner.
La Romana does not have beach does it?
I would love to live close enough to the beach to walk to it.
I'm still looking for all options but La Romana feels good in terms of medical access as well.

Anyone knows Juan Dolio?

Again I need to ask do you plan on working here and what kind of work will you be looking for?

Working in the DR is not always an easy task and pay is usually VERY low.

Bob K

Yes there is a beach in La Romana,  not likely what you are used to but it is literally 4 minute walk from my apartment.   

Juan Dolio is expensive.  It is full of expats, tourists and wealthier Dominicans.  The beach is nice,  only one supermarket and not sure on medical clinics there. 

Bob asks a good question - but I understood you were wanting to open a business.  YOu will need to jump through hoops and get your residencias in order to work in the business

Thank you for your comments, planner and Bob...

Actually, we want to work as independants offering photo sessions to tourists near resorts or touristic points.
A friend of mine been at Punta Cana and a dominican came to her and her husband and offered a very nice photo session for 50 dollars.
We thought that would be sometihing we'd like to do for a living and that's why we need to leave by the beach.

Planner, when I looked at googlemaps I didn't see any beach by La Romana but I guess I was wrong.

What do you guys think about our work project?

VERY VERY risky and I don't see it working for you.

Bob K

There are a number of established people in the industry. Here it is all about  connections! 

La Romana - the local beach is called Playa Caleta.  And Bayahibe is  20 minutes away by car.

What is Guayacanes like?

Its a decent beach but  the area is all expats and quite touristy...

I see. Muy mal.

It works for some and not others.