Is domestic help available in Mauritius?

Hi There,

I was wondering if domestic help is available in Mauritius? Is it a common thing or does the average person clean their own houses? If it is common, what would the daily rate be for domestic help? Would you go through an agency or is it OK to hire people without the help of an agency?

Thanks in advance for all the answers! :D

Domestic help, whether for cleaning the home or taking care of the pool and garden, is quite common for many expats.  There do not seem to be any agencies on the island though and it is basically on a "word of mouth" basis on how people find domestic workers.

The rates very by a fair bit from what I have experienced and can be any where from 100 - 200 rupees per hour at a minimum and go upwards from there depending on the work required and how well you can negotiate.

very easy to get and most people have help. Relatively cheaper than SA domestic help.

Almost everyone has domestic help on the island. When you get here, ask anyone - mine was a waitress. I asked her for help to find a maid and she offered to do it herself. Most waitresses will be very happy to work as maids.

Better to hire people from recommendation where they work before.
Cause u never know which people u will employed otherwise.
Normally i paid per month my maid 4000rs. For the salary it depends on u and how many days u will ask her to work.
The amount of work etc...  but be cautious..

Hi there

What would it cost for a full time domestic i.e. to come in Monday to Friday (whether it be for a full day or even just a few hours a day to clean up)

Genevieve - 4000MURS - was that for once a week or what?  Please advise

THank you!

Hi There,

We pay RS 5,000 per month for 5 days per week 3.5 to 4.0 hours per day.  Our lady, cleans, washes, irons, cooks and does other chores as required.  She is very, very good, a highly trusted and valued employee. It is customary (and required by law) to pay a further 1 months salary as a bonus in December.

100 to 200 rupees per hour as quoted by Bunkoma is a very, very high rate and no-one I know pays any where near that.  Usually 50 to 75 rupees per hour + transport money.

RS 5,000 per month is a good wage for five half days, double it for 5 full days.

Shop assistants and hotel workers earn approximately 5k to 8k per month for a full time job doing shift work, so a good housekeeper can earn more money for less hours.

Of course this is 'local' wages and you may want to pay more, that is up to you.

Good luck finding the right housekeeper.

Thanks so much!! Appreciate info :)

HI,

I can find you someone reliable (A company so as you feel secured and have a good service)
[moderated: please register in the business directory. Advertisement in not allowed on the forum]

Christophe

Oh dear, I would NEVER be able to pay somebody 50 rs an hour and look at myself in a mirror. And absolutely nobody I know pays their maid such indecent rates!!!

Zoubia wrote:

Oh dear, I would NEVER be able to pay somebody 50 rs an hour and look at myself in a mirror. And absolutely nobody I know pays their maid such indecent rates!!!

Well Zoubia, that's the opportunity to say that "one has a maid" - something some can't afford to have or do :whistle: at home, .

Run for cover .......;)

Hi all, can someone please help me understand how many sick days house help is allowed in a year and how much annual leave?

Thank you.

Hi,

I pay my maid Rs.3000 for 6 days work, which is cleaning, laundry and ironing ( no cooking). We are two adults in a 3 b/r aptmt.
She is quite good, and from what I know what i am paying is slightly over the going rate in Q.Bornes. From what I hear, and with my experience, the domestic helps are quite reliable and i have never lost any things or money (even when left out in the open) touch wood!

As for leaves, i have had my maid working for the last one year. Leaves are given based on a case to case basis. Nothing set .. But I thikn they do have some regulations if you are hiring someone fulltime..

5000 Rs a month
US$ 200 a month, that's all
that's one of the rare countries that is competitive with China,  or Bengladesh
Here is an old testing method that still works.
Drop 5 dollar on the floor.
If the maid picks it up and keep it, don't hire her, she is a thief.
If she give it back to you, hire her, she is an honnest person.
I know a few Mauritian people that have immigrated to Canada and then have returned to Mauritius because they could not afford a maid in Canada.

Blimey, I must have the two most overpaid maids on the island, haha! I would say rates on average comparable with SA, and quality of staff too

can a foreigner find a job as a house help in mauritius?

Hi
I m new in country n want a cook who can do cooking n utensils.
Have found one but find her too expensive. She is charging 15000rs .
Plz help me to find one we r vegetarian people.

Karishma Ajitsaria wrote:

Hi
I m new in country n want a cook who can do cooking n utensils.
Have found one but find her too expensive. She is charging 15000rs .
Plz help me to find one we r vegetarian people.

Please check in the jobs section of the forum in the green banner at the top of this page. There are people there looking for work and you can also place a free ad there too.

MARITAH wrote:

can a foreigner find a job as a house help in mauritius?

You could apply for a work permit for a foreigner maid but this is subject to quotas (1 foreigner for 3 locals), salary requirements and proof of lack of local staff availability.

So unless you have a highly specialized maid, it won't be possible ;)

Looking for a maid that cooks
And a boat with driver
From 8 dec to 8 Jan

@ Liamlorcan >  I invite you to post an ad in the designated section : jobs in Mauritius .

Thank you ;)

Priscilla

Hi there
Try this ..
facebook.com/evahomecareltd/

Rs 3000/ month for 6 days work per week is actually underpaid.  Regarding leaves, when a maid has worked for you for 12 months, whether you employed her permanently or not, she is allowed to be granted a specific number of local and sick leaves per year ( with pay) as well as a bonus of one full month's salary in December. You can check on the Labour Act at the Ministry of Labour website.

Hello everyone how much salary should a lady earn for weekly domestic chores from 9 to 3 ?  She has been working since 5 years. Where can I get salary list

Closed