Australian pension?.epat's.

hi everyone, do you still have to go back to australia to renew your pension if so
how many time's is it?, 3, 6 or 12 month's? some say 9 month's .

soon to live there john,thank's.

I'm not from Australia but read on another forum if out of country more than 26 weeks on single trip your pension will be reduced by some amount.  Many responders said they return to Australia twice a year to retain full pension.

thanks stray dog, that's what l heard but was not sure ,l have german friend's who don't go back to there country
at all, l think australia is the only country that make's you go back bummer!!!!!!.

thankyou again.

@john.welch3

Try this website for information. It is the best around. www.nationalseniors.com.au

If out for 26 weeks then pension is dropped. Govt is quietly looking to stop overseas pension payments sometime down the line. Secondhand info I got was 2020.

I was chasing up about overseas payment myself but was told that I can get pension okay but would have to stay in Oz for 2 years before they would consider paying pension to me overseas.

hi stumpy, thank's for your help what a pack of arshole's they are, iv'e got 3 year's to go
have a house  truck and beautiful g.f in thailand ,the pension is our god given rigtht.

ok ,thank;s  again mate.

john.welch3 wrote:

hi everyone, do you still have to go back to australia to renew your pension if so
how many time's is it?, 3, 6 or 12 month's? some say 9 month's .
   soon to live there john,thank's.

Please find useful informations from this website http://www.humanservices.gov.au/custome … -australia

If you have returned to live in Australia within the last 2 years and you have started receiving Age Pension during this period then you will not be paid for any departures until the 2 year waiting period has passed.

Age Pension rate after 26 weeks

After 26 weeks your rate of payment will be based on the amount of time you lived in Australia as an Australian resident between the age of 16 and age pension age.

You will usually need to have lived in Australia as an Australian resident for 35 years in order to continue receiving your full rate of Age Pension after 26 weeks. If less than 35 years, you will receive a smaller rate of Age Pension after 26 weeks outside Australia.

If you departed Australia before 1 July 2014, you will usually need to have lived in Australia as an Australian resident for 25 years in order to continue receiving your full rate of Age Pension after 26 weeks. If less than 25 years, you will receive a smaller rate of Age Pension after 26 weeks outside Australia.

If you were outside Australia on 1 July 2014, you can continue to receive your payment under the 25 year rule, unless you return and stay in Australia for 26 weeks or more.

thankyou, cthierrymk.

while waiting in australia for 2 year,can l still leave the country , ??? for a holiday?.

thank's for your help ,john.

john.welch3

I think it the way it is in many country now, and more country are change the law to be this way.
In Denmark the old pension people have to stay in Denmark more then 180 days a year, and can only go outside the country max of 90 day per time, before return home, Or they cut a lot in there pension.

For people on disability pensioner, They change the law in 01-01-2013, So if the move outside EU, is outside Denmark / EU more then 180 days, the lose around 7.000 Dansih kr pr month, today that = 32.240,79 THB per month.

Denmark and EU want the people to stay inside EU, to keep the money at "home".

I am lucky i move here before 01-01-2013, So i have my full disability pension.

john.welch3 wrote:

thankyou, cthierrymk.

while waiting in australia for 2 year,can l still leave the country , ??? for a holiday?.

thank's for your help ,john.

In the previous website link I gave you it was written "Advising us of your travel outside Australia
You should tell us if you are leaving Australia and you will be away for longer than 6 weeks "

Further clarifications below :

Pensioners do not lose any of their Age Pension or Pension Supplement during a six week holiday overseas. Your Pensioner Concession Card would not be cancelled just because you are absent from Australia for those six weeks.

The main exception is for people who had previously lived overseas and returned to Australia to claim an Age Pension. If you are a ‘returned resident' Age Pensioner then you must stay in Australia for two full years before you could continue to receive your Age Pension whilst outside of Australia.

hi.

thankyou for your reply,  so much for  freedom. ?  john.

hello.

thank you for your help ,so much for your freedom hey!!

thank you bye.

As far as I know there is no requirement to go back each year if you are an Australian who has lived in the country for 30 years or more. I have lived in Thailand now for 4 years and last October when in Australia they were indicating I may not be eligible for the supplements (for 6 weeks) when I return for a visit because of the time I have spent overseas.

I think it is wise to retain an Australian address, bank account and driving licence.

Check these details with Centrelink as I have heard opinions vary depending on who you speak to.

From my sessions with Centrelink it seems that new applicants who wish to live overseas may have to jump through some new hoops. Again it depends to whom you speak with too.
The new law states that one has to have lived in Oz for 35 years now. The supplements are not payable overseas.

By all means do keep an Oz address and drivers licence, etc.

I contacted Centrelink on Jan 2012 when I came back from working overseas and was told I would have to work and live in Oz for 3 years and then no problem with pension. When I contacted them this year I was informed that yes, I could get the pension but the 3 year rule had changed to 5 years I would have to stay in Oz for an additional 2 years before they would consider paying a pension to me overseas. 
So I am still in the mushroom stage, !!
The third hand info I get seems to go with the idea that the Govt wishes to stop overseas payments in the future. Don't know how much truth is in that but perhaps they want the pensions to be spent in Oz ??

Well there'd be no problem spending the pension in Aus. Rent, food , petrol (even the car itself) would take care of that.Plus they pay the supplement. Plus we can be a burden on the Medicare system plus get everything we can on the pensioners card.Surely they save money if we don't live in Aus but have worked damn hard and paid our taxes. I'm a few years away from the pension but hubby and I are in two minds about whether we want to go back and live there for 4 years or is it 2 beforehand?I'm confused.But I guess we will just have to wait and see what the rules are when the time comes. In the meantime we will enjoy our wonderful life here in Thailand

thank's raesum for your help , lhave 3 year's to go l'm tied just give me my money
and let me live now ,have house in udon thani..

thank's again,john.

thank's mate , have 3 year's to go don't need any cheese head trendy telling me how to
spend what is mine hard earned tax's l gave for 40 year's of hard work.

thank's again  john.

i live in aus 35yrs after that time i was told by centrelink i can live abroad for as long as i like and still get the basic pension you lose your rent assistance and all the other stuff and i will get $814per fortnight also i went to open a bank account at bankok bank today in patong and they said you have to pay 5000bht for insurance can somebody enlighten me please?? who is the beneficiary  many thanks