All advice about relocating

Hello, I am a new spirit to this forum. I am now living in California and plan to retire in a few months. I visited Belize in January but only for a few days. Did not get to see much. I would like to move to the Corozal  area. By the way are there any retired Military people in the area? I am open to all advice about relocating. I have lived in other Countries over the years and truely enjoyed the change of pace from the States. I can be reached at E-Mail [email protected]

Hi backthat,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I created a new topic as from your post on the Belize forum.

Hello backthat, Where in Corozal are you looking at to live or relocate? Lots are very reasonable there as I bought mine which is on Serenity Road which is just out side of town. Another nice place is in Consejo Shores and are all ex pats living there but do not know about military people.

There are many retired Military people from the USA in the Corozal area.   They are not concentrated in a single neighborhood.   The areas mentioned by Stevo66 are in the highest priced areas of the district.   They are considered for "gringos".   Experienced ex-pats will suggest that you come and RENT for at least a year, learning about the culture, the districts, and the neighborhoods and the real prices for land, goods, and services.    Then decide if you wish to stay in the country.  Living here is hugely different than being a tourist here.    There is no MLS.   If you decide to stay in Belize and then to buy a place, put the word out that you are looking.    Information on property will come from all over, with choices you could not have imagined by yourself.   We are in this process now.   We just made an offer on a Belizean house, which the owner thinks they can get a gringo price for.    LOL.   Be willing to take some time for the process.  best luck

Wish the other messages about renting in Belize would be used by all wishing to move here. The whole country has pluses and minuses for everyone. We were down for awhile and looked at a lot of places around the country. Many I liked, areas that weren't for our likes, lots that were. Stay and rent for a long time, travel the different areas and enjoy. You will find a great place. GOOD HUNTING

Most of the retired military persons are in the San Ignacio area of the Cayo District.

Thanks. I appreciate the information. That is what I have in mind. I don't know where in Corozal to start looking....

Thanks Jacott.

I feel I must mention that the poster who stated that the Cayo district was an area of military retirees, is a realtor.     If you decide to stop in Corozal in your exploration, I suggest you go to Jam Rock, a local, hangout for expats, and ask to get hooked up with some of the military.  I am reluctant to put names here without permission.  I am a resident, not a realtor.

Thanks for the information. I will take your advice.

Backthat
San Diego