Isla Mujeres Mexico!

I moved to Isla Mujeres Mexico with my husband and 6 year old daughter 7 months ago to learn Spanish and to live and learn a new culture.  So far we love it!  There is a wonderful community on the Island, about 15,000 permanent residents and we feel as safe, if not safer here than we did living in Seattle.  We have made great friends and my husband and I are working on purchasing a property to develop.
The only big challenge has been school.  My daughter goes to a small private pre-school on the Island, which has been an amazing experience but moving forward into first grade there isn't a great option.
A group of Mom's with children in the school has decided to hire a teacher, and essentially staff the school to accommodate the K-1st grade children. 
It seemed like such and easy task going into it but it has proven to be very hard to find a teacher for this group of 5 children. Yes there are just 5 of them! We are looking for a bilingual teacher with high energy and an adventurous soul to come live on the Island and teach our children through exploration and project based learning, math, reading and writing (in English and Spanish) and
science.
Isla Mujeres is a small community 6 miles off the coast of Cancun (a 15 minute ferry ride) that is surrounded by beautiful sandy beaches, has a lively night life and a very eclectic and interesting population.
If you know anyone that maybe interested please respond!
Thanks

How wonderful for you and your family!  I hear it is lovely there.   I have a background in special education and counseling but am close to retiring so I cannot be of much help to you there.  Still, I would like to make a little money advising young people if possible while still acclimatising to Mexico's culture.  I am hoping to find a community on the Pacific (somewhere between Cabo and Puerto Vallerta).  So I will be actively seeking others in my age range (55-60) who are interested as well.
Best of luck to you on your lovely island!
Arlene

Hello Bridgetalan and welcome on board  :cheers:

I would suggest you place an advert in our section Teaching jobs in Mexico so as to get interested candidates for the job you are proposing.

Regards

Kenjee

Gracias!

Hi Bridgetalan,
I would be very interested in speaking with you, my partner who is a environmental biologist and I a real estate agent are planning on moving to Isla and would love to speak with a young family like ours who has already made the transition. We believe there are many conservation efforts that are needed after our visits. Please feel free to message me 😀

Thank you,
Ashley

My wife and I are looking at possibly moving to Isla and would like to know how hard it is relocate down there. I am a veteran and my wife works in the medical field. We are looking at the beauty of Isla and any information that you can provide as far as what we need to do be able to move there would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Brandon

HI,
My family and I are considering relocating to Isla! I came across your post and it caught my eye! I am a former teacher....do you have a little time to answer some questions....it is so hard to find out info from the internet...thank you so much!

Hey MandeeJo-
I'm in the process of moving there as well. Though for me, it's because I know the island really well (visit once or twice a year since 2009) and it's very safe with a large expat community, so it's a good landing pad. It's become VERY touristy though. I don't see myself staying there long term.

For moving, there's barely anything on the internet. If you want a place to rent, you need to go there and look for rental signs or talk with locals.

There is a website with a forum specific to Isla Mujeres that has much more discussion and resources (I'm not sure how friendly this site is to out linking).

Hello!

I love your story! We are looking to make the move to Isla with our two young children as well for many of the same reasons. How have your children engaged in the culture? Did living there help them to learn Spanish? I would love to engage my children in a school setting with the other children on the island. Ours are 4 and 6. Thanks for any info with your experience!  :)

Ashley from Florida

anpregon07 wrote:

Hello!

I love your story! We are looking to make the move to Isla with our two young children as well for many of the same reasons. How have your children engaged in the culture? Did living there help them to learn Spanish? I would love to engage my children in a school setting with the other children on the island. Ours are 4 and 6. Thanks for any info with your experience!  :)

Ashley from Florida

I visited there for over a week, during the first hurricane this year, fortunately The hurricane didn't slam the island hard, just some downed palm fronds and flooding, but it does show how bad it could get if it hit harder , as an actual hurricane next season. It shows how incredibly isolated it becomes in a major storm. You source of transportation (ferries) are cut totally off.

As for tourists, the number make the most dense portion of Cancun look empty, the moto and golf cart traffic slows you to a crawl all over the island. The island is quite small so this becomes intense quickly. Even the locals in Cancun say the Island is a place to visit not live. Yes people do live there, and some of them are expats, there are good restaurants and some nice people, but there are also people selling, selling, selling to the tourists and anyone walking by. Many of the products could be purchased much cheaper in other places.

Some people can't handle the no paper in the toilet thing either. Buckets of soiled paper in every bathroom does make you wonder.   The access to markets is limited and the tours offered are actually for the most part tours for somewhere else. Which I pointed out pretty quickly to a tour guide salesman.

I would suggest you spend a week or two there , and think about it. Climate change isn't going away and Isla isn't going to have fewer tourists.

Visit for a couple of weeks then see how you feel about it.

Oh we did! We spent over a week there and our friends have lived there for 3 years from the states as well. Even if it's only 6 months to a year we are so excited for the opportunity to give our children the experience in Mexico. 😍 We can't wait to visit Puerto Moreles and other places as well.....Thanks for helpful info!

anpregon07 wrote:

Oh we did! We spent over a week there and our friends have lived there for 3 years from the states as well. Even if it's only 6 months to a year we are so excited for the opportunity to give our children the experience in Mexico. 😍 We can't wait to visit Puerto Moreles and other places as well.....Thanks for helpful info!

Just wanted you aware. Sometimes the picture painted is just rosy. You might want to visit those other places during hurricane season.

Hi.   

I noticed your comment was from a few years ago.  Do you still live there and if yes, how are you working out your children's education? 

Has that improved?  Is there a school for children 1-12 grade? 

We would like to move there, but have a 4 year old ourselves and are wondering how schools are there. 

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. 

Yessie