Getting letters and small packages mailed from overseas

Hi,

I might need to get a few small packages (1 - 2 lb) shipped from overseas, and I'm not sure the best way to go for this...

I got a P.O. box at a local post office in Panama City, so I guess a way would be to have items mailed there. Question though... if for some reason the package doesn't fit in the mailbox, are they going to hold on to it and put a note in the mailbox for me to pick it up?

Or is it better if I get another mailbox for packages at Mailboxes, Etc.? I went there asking but I didn't quite get whether or not the mailbox they offer can receive mail from overseas or they are only for local mail -- it seems for overseas they are pushing their web service at elmundotumall.com, which is similar to airbox express, i.e. p.o. box in Miami and then (expensive) forward to the local store.

Sorry if the questions are a bit naive... looked around on google and other forums but didn't quite find an answer to what above.

Thanks!

- Adriano

Hi, yes you can receive packages at your local Post Office, if it has an " aduana office" there.  if they don't  (ie: Plaza Concordia P.O) they'll leave you a note in your box telling you that you have received a package that need to be checked for aduana and  where to collect it, It can be at P.O del Dorado or the P.O in Carrasquilla, or any other office where they have aduana.

I'm not sure if you pay taxes based on the weight of the packages or the value on the invoice, because the only time I received something  (a saxophone) I asked, but the person in aduana, didn't know/want to reply,so he just looked at the box and the invoice and told me, it's going to be $80.   
if the content of the package has not a high value, it might be good to state on the invoice that it's a gift or a sample, so if you pay taxes based on the value, they won't be that high :) 
Using correos nacionales is definitely way cheaper than any private company, but most foreigners avoid to use it because it can take ages to receive something or the item might get lost.

Hope this help.
Cheers :)

Thank you so much! This is very helpful.

What I'm planning to get mailed over is something of hardly any value, so I'll just go for having it marked as "gift" on the customs declaration form.

- Adriano

I have a mailbox at Mail Boxes Etc. in Panama City.   It is $27 per month for the mailbox and includes up to 2 kilograms of letter mail or packages sent from anywhere in the world.  When a package arrives, MBE sends an email notification.  They will hold the package until you pick it up, and if there are additional postage fees above the 2 kilograms, you pay at that time.  So far, every package that I have received has arrived quickly and in good condition.  MBE accepts credit cards for their fees.

Thank you PacificMaryAnn, when I stopped by at a mailboxes etc they told me about the $27/month one, but I didn't quite understand whether or not could also be used to receive letters and packets from overseas. I'll probably get one with them then.

- Adriano