How to Set Up Partnership Company in Mauritius

Greetings to Forum Mauritius!

Please advice:  I would like to establish a partnership company in Mauritius with a Mauritian partner.  My proposed company will be established in Mauritius.

I am a French national and my partner is Mauritian who is at the moment living in Paris.  We have both decided to own the partnership concern with 50/50 ownership.  Our business activity is to promote Mauritius as a luxury travel destination to our customers in France.

My question:  Am I allowed to own 50% in the proposed partnership company as per Mauritius business laws?

I will delighted to hear from members of this forum to guide me in this matter.  I simply could not find any clear information on the website concerning ownership in companies for foreigners.  Hence this request.

With Best Wishes,
ANTHONY

please visit board of investment mauritius for more information ,

Dear Anthony.

The basic requirements of a Domestic Company, under the Companies Act 2001 are:

(1) To have a registered office in Mauritius
(2) To have at least one resident director

Now, whether you are allowed to have the 50% (or any other percentage) will depend on whether this company will engage itself in restrictive activities. For example, if investing in the acquisition of immoveable property (other than RES/IRS) foreigners are not allowed any shareholding, unless approved by the authorities.

Else, if not in restrictive activities, foreigners may hold 100% shareholding.

This information, I agree, is not really available and clear on websites. It is found in the Companies Act and other legislation pertaining to specific activities.

Dear Nadeem,

I thank you for your valuable advice and feedback. Your inputs have been very helpful and this forum has also been a great help.  I had been receiving conflicting information on this matter from an accountant in Mauritius known to my associate.

I would like to bring to your attention again that our partnership company is proposed to function as a domestic company to be registered in Mauritius in the promotion of tourism to Mauritius.  Promoting tour itineraries and visits to Mauritius for clients in France and in some targeted countries with our partners would be the major thrust and our core activity.  A local office in Mauritius will be a great plus for us to assist our customers while they are in Mauritius. Hence I believe we do not fall into a restrictive category. 

Do you think then as a foreigner I will be able to have 50% shareholding along with my Mauritian partner.  I would appreciate if you can provide me with links to websites where I can update myself on these issues.

I thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

With Best Wishes
ANTHONY
PARIS

Thank you Anthony. At first sight it appears that you would not fall into a Tourism licenced enterprise. There is a subtle difference in what you do and what a Tour Operator does. If I understand well, you will simply connect tourists with Local operators. In this case you are not handling the clients directly but they will be serviced by licensed operators. If you are the operator you will need to comply to restrictions from Tourism authority...minimum investment required for foreign investors.

In what you write, I'll define your company as travel consultants rather than tour operator. This bears no restriction but should be intelligently set up.

Unfortunately there is no major documentation on websites because this involves several laws which you need to read separately and then take the best mix to suit your scenario. We did set this up for one client and he has even got his residency without falling into unnecessary license restrictions.

Dear Nadeem,

I thank you for your response.  You have very well summed up our operations.  You are right. We will be working with DMC's (Destination Management Companies) in Mauritius who will be the actual service providers for our clients.  At the moment we have no intentions in doing it ourselves.  Like I said earlier a local office helps in many ways to oversee the service provided by our DMC's who are normally licensed operators on the service and quality fronts.  Our role will be consultancy in nature to our clients both offline and online.  We have an e-commerce platform wherein most of our clients will book their holidays online which is another aspect of our activity.

We are not actual tour operators but resellers of tours from tour operators. In a nutshell we are a tourism consultancy company.

I am pleased to note that you have grasped my intentions and plans quickly.  I will be happy to pursue my efforts through you as I can understand that you possess certain expertise in these matters.  Speaking these matters over phone will be an added advantage.  Do let me know how I can reach you?

With Best Wishes,
ANTHONY
PARIS

You can reach me on 465 5777

Talk to you soon !

Hi call me if you want details at (0230) 58675466. U can form a company with 100% shares in your name.

Surprising that one can be an expert in water filters and selling them as well as being a consultant in setting a company .

am interested if this is genuine business [email protected].   send me more of your interest n details
lucraj

External ... you are not referring to me, are you ? :-)

Greetings Rajking

I am delighted note your interest.  Could you tell me a little about yourself and your present professional activity.  What interest you in this association.  Please specify.

Cheers

Hi Rajiv,

Greetings!  Please tell me a little about yourself and your company.  Do you have a website?  I look forward to hear from you.

Best Wishes,

Hi Anthony
Yes of course you are eligible to own 50% or a company of your own ...meaning 100%.   .

It takes you 2 days to incorporate and own a company.   

(moderated : advertising your services for free is not allowed)

Hi,

Is any body here connected with business field. Does any body interested to do PVC pipe and plastic goods business in wholesale or retail. Call or get in touch with me for more details.

Hi Anthony,

Let me have a contact number, probably I can call you regarding the partnership.

Best Regards,
Reshma

Hello everyone,

For all of you who are looking for partnership, I invite you to post an advert in the Business partners in Mauritius in the Mauritius Classifieds.

This section will better help you in your search.

Thank You,
Regards,
Naomi.