Having a Good Balanced Life on North Coast: at age 62: in 5 years

When I first started considering retiring to the North Coast, about 10 years ago, I kept asking myself, can I have a nice balanced life there?   I've been there a dozen or so times, for up to 3 weeks and my best friends family lives in Santiago.

Knowing that when I go there, my current plan is in 5 years, at age 62, I think that I can do so.   And at the same time, live a fun and active life, giving to others, while living in a great area, the beach, beisbol, fishing and giving back to the community.

Clearly, there are lots of challenges, but the cost of living is very good there compared to living in the states near a nice beach on early US Social Security.

And I think, tell me if I'm wrong, that I can live a nice, simple life,  while finding good community service projects to help with and develop a good foundation of fellow Expats for social activities and mutual support.

As the Brits would say... you are spot on.

Yes you can do that but you need to be flexible and able to adapt.  it has worked for us

Bob K

I hear you on that Bob, I learned the mastery of adaptation and flexibility by living in St. Croix, USVI for 5 years:)   Some people may think, because it's a US Territory, that it's not that different, but it's just like the DR or another island in the Caribbean, it's very different from the States/Canada.   In St. Croix, us "Continental's" as we were referred to, we on the bottom end of reverse discrimination.....so I think the DR will be easier to adapt to than St. Croix.  Gypsy, you lived there, thoughts?

I agree, it is very doable!!! Flexibility, adaptability...... key clear attributes needed.  Its also good get clear on what matters to you!

all questions answered with a big yes.  with the provisions stated in one of my earlier posts. I told you how I lived well on less than $1,000 a month.  you can do it.  find a way to save $75 t0 100 a month & in 5 years you'll have a good start, such as a vehicle & basic house hold needs.  how much is that?  a drink less a day, pack your lunch once or twice a week?  after the 1st. $ 100, you will be inspired to do more with less. I.m doing it & so can you.  be a warrior in life & conquer all!!!!

Gypsy - remember that you are 4 years out of date, prices have changed.  But I agree it can be done, good advice, start saving now.

JMD......Are you still trying to convince yourself or have you made up your mind yet? Why not just try it on and see if the shoe fits???? :cool:

I have decided YES and like you suggest, I will give it a shot, I will stay a few months at least, and I might end up staying a few years or more.  I do know one thing, it will be nice to have some friends there when I get there, so this site is fantastic!!

Good Choice Amigo.....I think you will enjoy yourself, just follow the general rules planner outlined and you will be smart, and most definitely bring your street smarts :cool: Enjoy the Adventure.