Elder Care in Ecuador

On the 'Black Americans' thread, Laurirenee posed the following question and comment:

I'm not a senior citizen yet, but what kind of elder care do they have in Ecuador?  I have lived in the Republic of Panama and Nicaragua and I have spent time in every Central American country and Bolivia and Peru in S. America. At that time, none of them had elder care for people who can no longer care for themselves.

I have no idea what the answer is, but I'm posting it as a separate topic because I think it's worth a discussion of its own and I'm hoping others can be more helpful than me.

Bob

Not an expert, but simple observation from experiences would tell me that for the most part Latin America is generally very family oriented, and still a developing area. Believe the elderly will usually move in with a child, or different family members, and be watched/cared for by the family. Probably much the way it used to be in the U.S. years ago.

BobH wrote:

Laurirenee posed the following question and comment:

What kind of elder care do they have in Ecuador?...I have spent time in every Central American country and Bolivia and Peru in S. America. At that time, none of them had elder care for people who can no longer care for themselves.

I have no idea what the answer is, but I'm posting it as a separate topic because I think it's worth a discussion of its own and I'm hoping others can be more helpful than me.

Places to start looking for referrals on in-home care:

1. Hospitals and clinics.  Hospital Metropolitano in Quito has online sites in English and Spanish with contact-us option at the top of the page.  Visiting in person with someone who has Spanish-language skills might be a help.

2. Volunteer organisations, some of which have an online presence.

3. Place an ad for in-home assistance for someone with nursing or appropriate care experience.

4. Ask around:  pharmacies, gimnasios, current contacts.

I live in Cuenca and ran across this blog post a while ago.  It took me a few minutes to find it again, but there IS an assisted living company in Cuenca.
southofzero.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/assisted-living-contd/

Mary