Taking live chicken to their kitchen?! :o

There are cages full of chicken by the side of the road. I was wondering if they slaughter them there and then - or let the buyer take them alive? In India, it was the former, here it's the latter?

Who would want the blood and mess in their kitchen or back yard?

How common is this?

Do folks take live chicken into their condos in Hanoi, too?

hs0zfe wrote:

There are cages full of chicken by the side of the road. I was wondering if they slaughter them there and then - or let the buyer take them alive? In India, it was the former, here it's the latter?

Who would want the blood and mess in their kitchen or back yard?

How common is this?

Do folks take live chicken into their condos in Hanoi, too?

Still very common up here, many people don't have fridges , so that's the only way they can have " fresh " meat, I always knew what the neighbours were having for dinner, it was either " quack, quack ", or " chirp, chirp ", couldn't hear the fish though. ( but sometimes smell it ).
But I see the 1/2 thawed chicken in the s/markets sells very quickly.
" Mess ", the only thing they don't eat, is the feathers.

You choose, they will sell alive or kill and clean it.
You just pay the weight

(Moderated: off topic + inappropriate post )

Many countries/areas in SE Asia have a lot of poor people, and people one generation from village life, so things get eaten that westerners have never known as food.
That includes chicken's feet and chicken's heads.
They're sold in supermarkets here, and I'm guessing it's the same there.

mas fred wrote:

Many countries/areas in SE Asia have a lot of poor people, and people one generation from village life, so things get eaten that westerners have never known as food.

And in other countries they use them for sacrificing rituals.  :D

MIA2013 wrote:
mas fred wrote:

And in other countries they use them for sacrificing rituals.  :D

That may well be true.
In Indonesia it isn't true, but most are killed with a little bit of ritual in the form of a thanks to God.
I'm making a video at the moment.

mas fred wrote:

Well, it's not because of poverty that people want to buy alive chicken. They believe that live chicken are those farmers raise naturally (less chemical elements) in their farms (they called them "gà thả vườn" or "gà vườn" or "gà ta") - kind of organic food, different from "gà công nghiệp". It's true that 2 different meats (I'm not sure if it's suitable to call chicken "meat" meat? Please help!) are different.

VNese chickens have different features like big thighs and skinny breasts.

KFC uses chickens from an Australian owned farm here which grows Western-style chickens with big breasts and regular thighs.

Live birds (of any type) sold in markets haven't had health inspections, either.

Western-style chickens with big breasts and regular thighs

I tend to find western style birds have larger thighs than Asians, as well as bigger breasts.