Advise urgently needed please

Hi
Thank you for reading this.
I need your help please , I have been offered a role in Bangkok , my total take home salary p/m will be THB 180'000.
I need to rent a home with 3 rooms hopefully in a compound like enviroment do you have an indication of what this would cost whilst I also need to educate my 2 kids (10yrs and 16yrs) and I have seen some huge numbers for this!

In summary can a family with this income live a decent lifestyle with the kids and wife being happy ect ,
Sadly I have very little time left to revert to the offer so really would appreciate your advise and assistance.

ACCobra wrote:

Hi
I need your help please , I have been offered a role in Bangkok , my total take home salary p/m will be THB 180'000.
I need to rent a home with 3 rooms hopefully in a compound like enviroment do you have an indication of what this would cost whilst I also need to educate my 2 kids (10yrs and 16yrs) and I have seen some huge numbers for this!

In summary can a family with this income live a decent lifestyle with the kids and wife being happy ect ,
Sadly I have very little time left to revert to the offer so really would appreciate your advise and assistance.

Welcome to the forum

For cost of living www.numbeo.com   
Education costs are high.
You need to factor in medical insurance cover for family unless your employer covers that. 
For accommodation you need to look at where you will be working and what schooling is in the area. 
Transport needs to be taken into account too as does shopping. 

You need to spend some serious time online checking all this out.

Hello. if it's 180,000 Baht that works out to about 6000 USD which isn't too bad.  You need to take into account school fees, accommodation and transport. School fees for an international school is roughly 4000-5000 USD a term. Rental accommodation can be between from 800 baht upwards depending on size and location. Transport can also be high. So, hope this helps and wish you all the best.

Hi
Thank you so much for your assistance you have been a help

Hi
Thank you for the link it certainly has some good stats and info that will help me with making educated calls

Regards

Sure, always happy to help :)

Can someone give me some advice or comments. I am retired, not much of a drinker, don't do drugs, and am not planning a move to Thailand to chase girls. I love what I have read about living in Chaing Mai...so,
with 27,000baht monthly and 6,000,000baht in bank, can I qualitfy to live in Chaing Mai as an Expat?

Thank you in advance for your response!

qpq wrote:

Can someone give me some advice or comments. I am retired, not much of a drinker, don't do drugs, and am not planning a move to Thailand to chase girls. I love what I have read about living in Chaing Mai...so,
with 27,000baht monthly and 6,000,000baht in bank, can I qualitfy to live in Chaing Mai as an Expat?

Welcome to EB.

I suggest that you read through the many posts on this forum in reference to what you are looking for. There is information on visas, accommodation, cost of living etc.
For cost of living try www.numbeo.com   
You may need a little more than your monthly amount to get by on. You have to factor in medical cover, visa costs etc.

Are you looking to retire there ? Then research the appropriate visa.

Chiang Mai is lovely as is Chiang Rai.

qpq wrote:

Wow we have opposite ends of the scale here! 180k a month is excellent. I have no experience other than what I have read on the internet (quite a lot) but I believe the International school fees in BKK vary considerably and that some of the less expensive are in fact excellent schools.

qpq I think it would have been more appropriate to start your own thread re 27,000 a month as it is so diametrically opposed to the OP's budget.
You can "survive" on that especially if you don't drink or bother with girls much. As far as Thai salaries go it would appear quite good. However do remember that beyond day to day living costs you will need health/accident insurance, visa renewal fees, occasional trips back home, etc.

27,000 x 12 = 324,000. If I remember correctly to qualify for "Permission to stay" based on retirement - often referred to as a retirement visa - you need EITHER 800,000 in a Thai bank OR 65,000 a month income OR a combination of the two. So in your case 800,000 - 324,000 = 476,000 needed in the bank. Say 500k.
You would find lots of help on this subject over on the www.Thaivisa.com forums.

I would not suggest moving your 6mil to Thailand but to put in a high interest saving account in your home country.

I would say someone making 6k a month would live very good. but you might think about a condo. if you plan to stay a while. renting a house might be nice. but the area might not.

for 27000 a month you can live just about any where. thats about 900 dollars a month. rent could be 400, and food and girls will eat the $500.

have looked to find where and when there is a expat meeting in BKK. last post I see is from last year. Is there a club meeting or just net?

I don't think that you should have any problem to live here with this kind of salary... Of course you should gave some saving when you will come here because you will have to pay some things up front, but I think you know about this (Y) Good luck and see you in Bangkok :)

bodacious wrote:

have looked to find where and when there is a expat meeting in BKK. last post I see is from last year. Is there a club meeting or just net?

meetup.com/Bangkok-International-Friends-Multi-Language-Party-Group/events/214792812/?gj=wc2d.2_e&a=wc2d.2_gnl&rv=wc2d.2_e&_af_eid=214792812&_af=event

ACCobra wrote:

Hi

I assume the company has paid for all your work permit etc?
You need to pay some social welfare money and some tax on that salary

The school where you send your kids will be the most expensive part as a private school could run into millions of bahts per year

The 3 bedroom older style might be 60K plus as it depends where it is

$60,000 dollars a month, unbelievable. I hope you have signed a contract in English as well as Thai.  You can search properties on the net, in a location that you want.

colabamumbai wrote:

$60,000 dollars a month, unbelievable. I hope you have signed a contract in English as well as Thai.  You can search properties on the net, in a location that you want.

no

5625 US$

You and your family will do very well. Relax and have faith. Enjoy.

I think you can live with happiness in thailand with a townhouse 3 rooms and your kids may need to study english program but international here is expensive.
But if you search in Internet about school before allocating is better,
Anyway it's depened on what you really want.
I suggest you to search in Internet first.
Let me know if any help I can do.
RaenuC

Thank you for your kindness.