Had a Bag Snatched? Here's one for the Victims

A bag snatcher, Huynh Van Thanh, 25, according to the ID card found on his body, drowned after jumping off of a bridge as he attempted to evade police in Ho Chi Minh City on Tuesday morning. Police successfully took his accomplice into custody but police have not yet released his identity .

The two robbers sped through several streets before they ditched their motorbike on Vo Van Kiet, also known as the East West Highway, and jumped into the Tau Hu Canal - that sewage filled water separating Quan 1 from Quan 4.

A large crowd gathered on both sides of the canal to watch divers recover his topless, tattooed corpse.

The men had staged a traffic accident to stop a motorist on Tan Da Street, Quan 5, before grabbing her bag. This type of trick is not uncommon.

Criminal police officers heard the woman's screams and chased after them.

Hi,

Thanks for the information Jaitch. Those events teach  people to be careful in life! I am just pity for that boy who died in tauhu canal. His life makes mistake which can't be corrected any longer.

Regards

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

I am just pity for that boy who died in tauhu canal. His life makes mistake which can't be corrected any longer.

And what about the victims that end up badly injured or worse when falling off a bike after such bag snatcher "made a mistake", can that be corrected???

I think he was lucky, drowning is far nicer than a mob killing you and I think he probably got what he deserved.

snake77 wrote:
Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

I am just pity for that boy who died in tauhu canal. His life makes mistake which can't be corrected any longer.

And what about the victims that end up badly injured or worse when falling off a bike after such bag snatcher "made a mistake", can that be corrected???

I think he was lucky, drowning is far nicer than a mob killing you and I think he probably got what he deserved.

She is still alive.
We usually sympathize for victims but how about people who make mistakes? We havent made any big mistakes in our life? The difference is just the environment we grow up with. Some are lucky to have a wonderful family but some aren't. I believe they need  understanding and patience to guide them in a right place so we can have a better world. Death doesn't solve anything.

By the way, that lady should blame herself for not being careful in this city- which all Vietnamese knows. She created a situation for a tragedy.

I agree with dejavu. That boy was unlucky enough to be born into an extremely impoverished background where he received very little education and no legitimate opportunity to advance or make something of himself. Because of a vicious class system, he was denied everything in life through no fault of his own, and eventually life drove him into such a corner that he resorted to the only method by which he could put food on the table for his family. You or I may have very well done something similar if put in that situation. Fate forced him to resort to such methods to survive, and he got burned. It's not fair to belittle or make light of the fact that he had shitty luck in the life lottery.

Of course, it is unfair for the victim, too, but who said life is fair?

Does anyone have enough information to corroborate that Mr. Thanh did indeed grow up in poverty and had a family he needed to put food on the table for? Or is that merely presumption? I've known Asian criminals who came from what would be considered the Vietnamese and Taiwanese middle class. Even had our home broken into by the son of a Vietnamese naval officer who was a friend of the family.

So we should blame the victim? Who apparently stopped for a staged traffic accident, possibly to help these two?

Death doesn't solve anything? Balderdash! Sometimes it removes adult children who threaten their parents, raise their hands to their mothers, and beat their own wives and children, from the gene pool.

Yes, all good points. I don't know if that "blame the victim?" comment was a response to my post, but I am in no way trying to say that the victim should be blamed. And yeah, I made an assumption that he was from a lower class. If he was middle class and was not forced to resort to what he did, fuck that guy.

rwinn415 wrote:

I made an assumption that he was from a lower class. If he was middle class and was not forced to resort to what he did, fuck that guy.

I understand that this is your opinion but in my opinion poverty or your own misery is no excuse to put other people into misery. By the standards that you put out, more than half the population should be resorting to crime. I have dozens of friends living 10-15 people in 2x5m room under a roof which leaks rainwater, has no TV, in some cases no electricity, days when they have not enough food for everyone, no running water etc., etc., etc., and many, many people work 10-12hrs shifts for less than 100K a day. Go ask a street beggar how much he makes a day and if he has kids to feed, ask him why he does not commit such crimes like snatching bags. Think about a Xe Om in one of the outskirt districts, one of these Xe Om drivers that spend 24hrs/day on their bikes, out at some miserable noisy corner. They also have family and are everyday struggling to put food on the table. Why don't they all become criminals? The reason is, they choose to cope with their situation and live an honorable (even if miserable) life and NOT to become criminals but this guy did. No matter how poor you are, that can never be an excuse to harm other people.

Well said Lirelou.
I totally agree with you  :)

lirelou wrote:

I've known Asian criminals who came from what would be considered the Vietnamese and Taiwanese middle class. Even had our home broken into by the son of a Vietnamese naval officer who was a friend of the family.

So we should blame the victim? Who apparently stopped for a staged traffic accident, possibly to help these two?

I can feel your anger and I understand it. Once again I want to say: bad people are everywhere.

lirelou wrote:

Does anyone have enough information to corroborate that Mr. Thanh did indeed grow up in poverty and had a family he needed to put food on the table for? Or is that merely presumption?
Death doesn't solve anything? Balderdash! Sometimes it removes adult children who threaten their parents, raise their hands to their mothers, and beat their own wives and children, from the gene pool.

I didn't assume that Mr. Thanh ( I didnt't know his name either) is from a poor family. Why do we always try to find a person who takes the responsibility of any mistakes? Is it able to change/improve what happened by doing so?And can we find enough reasons for a man who "threaten their parents, raise their hands to their mothers and beat their own wives and children" or we will conclude that is the mistake of parents or school or policemen ? And laugh alone cos those are very normal reasons in the society.

If that lady believes like you and next time, doing the same thing, I am sure there will be someone else robbing her bag.

I just know that life changes. We shouldn't use " You make the mistake" " She makes the mistake". As I usually ask my little brother " Do you think why this happened?" " What should you do to change it?"

Regards

Dejavu, closing the door behind you and discovering that you left your keys inside is a mistake. Turning left when you meant to turn right is a mistake. Setting up a phony accident for the purpose of drawing in a victim weaker than you to rob is a premeditated crime. There's no mistake about it. Granted, the crime here was intended to be one of subterfuge and grab and run, and not a crime involving premeditated violence. Had be been caught, I presume it would have been treated as a misdemeanor. Unless, of course, he had a long 'rap sheet', which in most places leads to a harsher sentence. Leaping into the canal was the only mistake he made.

lirelou wrote:

Dejavu, closing the door behind you and discovering that you left your keys inside is a mistake. Turning left when you meant to turn right is a mistake. Setting up a phony accident for the purpose of drawing in a victim weaker than you to rob is a premeditated crime. There's no mistake about it. Granted, the crime here was intended to be one of subterfuge and grab and run, and not a crime involving premeditated violence. Had be been caught, I presume it would have been treated as a misdemeanor. Unless, of course, he had a long 'rap sheet', which in most places leads to a harsher sentence. Leaping into the canal was the only mistake he made.

I agree! Hence......Karma took over.

rwinn415 wrote:

That boy was unlucky enough to be born into an extremely impoverished background where he received very little education and no legitimate opportunity to advance or make something of himself.

So?

rwinn415 wrote:

Because of a vicious class system, he was denied everything in life through no fault of his own, and eventually life drove him into such a corner that he resorted to the only method by which he could put food on the table for his family.

Following your theory, there should be 50,000 hits a day - given that there are over 50,000 orphans in the city. He likely doesn't have a 'family'.

rwinn415 wrote:

You or I may have very well done something similar if put in that situation. Fate forced him to resort to such methods to survive, and he got burned. It's not fair to belittle or make light of the fact that he had shitty luck in the life lottery.

There are ways and means of surviving - there are 'soup kitchens' here in HCM.

Get some time in HCM, travel to areas you likely have never been too - Cu Chi, Monkey Island, etc. and see how poor people can survive.

lirelou wrote:

Even had our home broken into by the son of a Vietnamese naval officer who was a friend of the family.

I never let  anyone I don't know in to the apartment here in HCM - if they 'have' to come in (maintenance, Cong An) they have to wait whilst I cover up all my goodies with sheets.

Only my employees and the people I teach get to see my place.

I am very particular when buying locks/having them fitted. I buy the lock from one dealer and have another dealer fit it - and neither are from the immediate area.

Had my Nexus 7 stolen today straight out of my hands.  That thing had gotten so it was like an extension of my being-- I suppose this leaves me with two takeaways:

1) Be careful with your things!  Really careful!
2) The motorcycle-mounted swipe & run thieves are quite skilled, so #1. 
2a) Seriously, if I wasn't so damn pissed that he took my N7, I'd have to compliment the guy on technique.  So.... point #1.

@Nice tip faldat
@ Dear Lirelou: Thanks for nice examples but here we are talking about circumstances between 2 people. To me, I believe we have to be careful for not let people making sins. A girl can wear sexy and blame why men look at her hungrily. That's my main point. I know it can be weird to say so but every actions has consequences.

rwinn415 wrote:

I agree with dejavu. That boy was unlucky enough to be born into an extremely impoverished background where he received very little education and no legitimate opportunity to advance or make something of himself. Because of a vicious class system, he was denied everything in life through no fault of his own, and eventually life drove him into such a corner that he resorted to the only method by which he could put food on the table for his family. You or I may have very well done something similar if put in that situation. Fate forced him to resort to such methods to survive, and he got burned. It's not fair to belittle or make light of the fact that he had shitty luck in the life lottery.

Of course, it is unfair for the victim, too, but who said life is fair?

How do you know what background he was born into ?  It wasent the victim who staged this crime, it was he and this other thief. Sure he dident deserve to die, it was only money they stole. Maybe he comes from a good family and turned to drugs as a lot of young people seem to be doing now. Chasing that Dragon is a dangerous way to live, and many innercent people suffer.

Death is too kind for the Saigon thieves. They kill and injure many women and men, tearing off their purse on a moving motorbike killing the poor ladies. Why have sympthy for these lazy drug users? I disagree with anybody that has sympathy for the evil creatures that kill. We should celebrate the death of this evil man who drowned in human sewage. You liberal thinking weak beings forgot the " LAWS OF KARMA" which I will remind your small mind of one more time. Thieves beware your KARMA is S _ IT.                   Peace and Joy to the Good hard working people,  Daniel

He was a bag thief, not public enarmy number 1. He dident deserve to die for snaching someones bag !. If you asked the victim of this crime what punnishment does he deserve, im sure she wouldent want the death penalty. A year in prison would be more fitting for this crime. I understand that she wasent hert, she wasent draged off her bike and no medical tratment was needed. You cant say that he has done this before, because theres no proof. If it was a premeditated murder in England you still wouldent get the death penalty, it was abolished in 1963 . Theres bigger fish to fry than bag snachers. I know its a very cowadly crime to target women, we dont like this sort of crime in the UK especialy if its an old lady, but even then a death sentance dont fit the crime.  I know if he got sentanced in the UK for this crime he would be looked down upon from the other cons. He would more than likely be punched, kicked, and spat on from time. To time, and life for him wouldent be a bed of roses.

@Jeff Brewster
If the local police would think it is not a serious kind of crime, then why this:
(2 different cases)

One of the police officers fired three shots into the air as a warning for them to stop, but the robbers continued to flee. When they entered Tran Hung Dao Street, the youth riding pillion kicked one of the two police motorbikes. Sergeant Major Nguyen Thai Duong immediately fired two shots at the engine of the robbers' bike. One of the shots hit the thigh of the passenger, but they continued to flee. When they arrived at the intersection of Yersin and Tran Hung Dao Streets, Senior Lieutenant Nguyen Huu Hoang Minh drove his bike into the thieves' scooter, causing them to fall to the ground, and arrested them.” Source: http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/18889/hcm … thai-woman

And I doubt one year in jail will help these guys (bag snatchers) get any better:

“The suspect fiercely resisted his arrest, screaming and yelling at the cops. After being taken to a police station, he was identified as Le Hoang, 27, a convicted murderer.
Police said the other suspect is Truong Thai Ngoc, 23, who once served time for robbery.”
Source: http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/hc … 32071.html

These guys are killers and they give a shit about their victims and innocent bystanders!

snake77 wrote:

@Jeff Brewster
If the local police would think it is not a serious kind of crime, then why this:
(2 different cases)

One of the police officers fired three shots into the air as a warning for them to stop, but the robbers continued to flee. When they entered Tran Hung Dao Street, the youth riding pillion kicked one of the two police motorbikes. Sergeant Major Nguyen Thai Duong immediately fired two shots at the engine of the robbers' bike. One of the shots hit the thigh of the passenger, but they continued to flee. When they arrived at the intersection of Yersin and Tran Hung Dao Streets, Senior Lieutenant Nguyen Huu Hoang Minh drove his bike into the thieves' scooter, causing them to fall to the ground, and arrested them.” Source: http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/18889/hcm … thai-woman

And I doubt one year in jail will help these guys (bag snatchers) get any better:

“The suspect fiercely resisted his arrest, screaming and yelling at the cops. After being taken to a police station, he was identified as Le Hoang, 27, a convicted murderer.
Police said the other suspect is Truong Thai Ngoc, 23, who once served time for robbery.”
Source: http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/hc … 32071.html

These guys are killers and they don't give a shit about their victims and innocent bystanders!

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but what I don't understand is WTF was a convicted murderer doing at large, had he escaped or something?

I think a while back when they let out a lot of them due to budget cuts. Oh let's not forget the one about a woman getting her arm almost severed by one of these cocaine cowboys.  :o

I think you have got confused with  crime thats a stright forward bag snach. And a crime which is a bag snach and gone wrong, making it another more serious crime. Like pulling the victim off the bike and getting injured. Thats two different crimes that could come under GBH, or ABH, or even attempted murder. What happened on the crime we are talking about is this. There was a staged accident, the victim stoped and as she did so two guys grabed her bag and took off. She wasent pulled to the ground or hurt in any way. So yer, cowardly crime, death penalty NO.

Jeff Brewster wrote:

I think you have got confused with  crime thats a stright forward bag snach. And a crime which is a bag snach and gone wrong, making it another more serious crime. Like pulling the victim off the bike and getting injured. Thats two different crimes that could come under GBH, or ABH, or even attempted murder. What happened on the crime we are talking about is this. There was a staged accident, the victim stoped and as she did so two guys grabed her bag and took off. She wasent pulled to the ground or hurt in any way. So yer, cowardly crime, death penalty NO.

r

I'm not confused. I read exactly what happened in both incidents. I just brought it up and threw it in there to show the severity of outcomes from such crimes. I didn't say that they deserved to die but hey  I do believe in Karma. Obviously the low lives didn't other wise they would of thought twice if they only had a wee bitty brain. No worries because there are plenty of VNmese that don't like criminals either. My family comes from Tay Ninh. I witnessed a cong an bring down a bag snatcher with a chain thrown at him. Then people ran up after he fell off his m/b and started kicking the poo poo out of him. Now, that's justice.  :D

Great title- 'had a bag snatched? Here's one for the victims'.
Classic. Out of the hundreds of attacks daily,the OP gives us one news report that has no justice. Just a thief who drowned. As bad luck Brian says- 'yay'

Jeff Brewster wrote:

I think you have got confused with  crime thats a stright forward bag snach. And a crime which is a bag snach and gone wrong, making it another more serious crime..

Sorry, I totally disagree with you on your statement that a bag snatch where the victim falls off a bike, get seriously injured or even killed, is a "bag snatch gone wrong". Snatching bag in full traffic at 30, 40, 50 km/hr is taking into account that the victim may be seriously injured or worse. Furthermore, several times I observed how bag snatchers even push or kick down other bikes, in one case it was school kids on bicycles. The reason, they intend to cause a crash so the road gets blocked making it harder for others to chase them. This is normal modus operandi!

If you say that this victim did not get hurt, just think about their crazy getaway race, how many people did they hit on their escape run? How many bystanders could of gotten injured or worse?

While I'm not a judge and personally am against the death penalty, this thief who drowned is no loss to anyone. I'm not saying he got what he deserved but I'm glad he's gone and definitely don't feel sorry for him.

Dont be sorry to disagree with me, thats your personal oppinion, and i respect that. At least you can string a sentance together without calling me a girly man or a retard, unlike some idiot on here. First of all, i am no lover of bag thiefs. I think its a very cowardly crime and these people who do this are low lifes. My wife and i have been victims to this crime, and i was more than pissed off. A phone, a wallet, and all my credit cards was stolen and it was a pain in the arse sorting everything out. This was a stright forward bag snach, no body was hurt, only my ego as i couldent cach them. What your talking is if someone did a snach pulled the victim off the bike, knocked over an old lady, killed a couple of kids etc, etc, etc. then its obviouly a different crime altogether. Different story. You cant charge someone with, well this might have happened, that dont stand up in any court no matter what land your in. As for saying the guy that drowned is no loss to anyone. Well what about his mother. Maybe he had kids and was trying to put some food in thier mouths, you dont know. I understand that this was a crime that nobody was physicaly hurt, a none violent crime. Some people on here wanted to give him the death penalty, to late he gave himself one. I dont think he deseved to die, simple as that. There again im a Cristian and i read the bible and it says we must forgive. Jessus was on the cross next to a thief and he forgave him of all his sins. Thats good enough for me.

Hi all,

We have removed some posts from the thread.
Please note that we won't tolerate any abusive language on the forum.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

I just want to tell the story involved a very good friend of mine.

My friend was Catholic so he went visit a church on Ton Duc Thang street on New Year's Eve. After the mass, he was driving his bike out of the church to go home with his family. Meanwhile, there are 2 guys on 1 motorbike snatching a girl's bag at the crossroads Nguyen Huu Canh-Ton Duc Thang and was trying to escape in high speed. Was too quick for my friend to avoid them. My friend and those 2 guys died immediately. I still remember going to his funeral on the 2nd day of Tet, looking at his damaged face through a glass window of the coffin. He was young..... He was the only son.....His parents couldn't cry....

I don't want to judge but I do not see the point of making excuses or defense for those bag snatchers. I'm not sure if there are still many people show their sympathy when the victims got hurt from bag snatchers are family members of them. There are millions poor people in Vietnam so it is okay to have millions bag snatchers they mean? Because those people are poor or have bad faith so they can steal/rob what the others work hard to earn? I just don't see the point! I only hope karma will be more fair to the people deserve it!

Ngan Khanh wrote:

I just want to tell the story involved a very good friend of mine.

My friend was Catholic so he went visit a church on Ton Duc Thang street on New Year's Eve. After the mass, he was driving his bike out of the church to go home with his family. Meanwhile, there are 2 guys on 1 motorbike snatching a girl's bag at the crossroads Nguyen Huu Canh-Ton Duc Thang and was trying to escape in high speed. Was too quick for my friend to avoid them. My friend and those 2 guys died immediately. I still remember going to his funeral on the 2nd day of Tet, looking at his damaged face through a glass window of the coffin. He was young..... He was the only son.....His parents couldn't cry....

I don't want to judge but I do not see the point of making excuses or defense for those bag snatchers. I'm not sure if there are still many people show their sympathy when the victims got hurt from bag snatchers are family members of them. There are millions poor people in Vietnam so it is okay to have millions bag snatchers they mean? Because those people are poor or have bad faith so they can steal/rob what the others work hard to earn? I just don't see the point! I only hope karma will be more fair to the people deserve it!

Corporal punishment you say?
http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/flogging.jpg

NB moderators,
this image doesn't show any physical contact,violence or blood.
It is a public whipping for a CONVICTED RAPIST.So a simple crime of hurting someone for a few dollars or a nice gold necklace deserves a punishment.

Don't spend your money on tattoos and feed yourself instead

Chaly power wrote:

Don't spend your money on tattoos and feed yourself instead

Or better still, use that money to look for a job.