Public transit

My husband and I are going from the Puerto Plata airport with 2  large 40 lb suitcases and 2 knapsack to Luperon in January
We did not want to rent a car but rely on the public transit system.
We were there in September and I inquired about a taxi ride.
It was posted for$90us. How much bartering can you do with them?
Is there another way to go with all our luggage?

WOW airport to Luperon is a LONG WAY!!!!  What time of day do you arrive?   That will make a difference in price,  Bob and I both know dependable taxis and can ask about pricing for you.  You don't want to make that trip with suitcases on public transportation!!!

From the airport you WALK to the main road,  you need to flag down a "gua gua" - bus  as what you have won't fit in a carro publico - public cars that run a route and jam people in.

That will take you to Puerto Plata where you need to find another bus that will take you to Luperon and i do not even know if they are available or whether  you need another stop and bus change!!! YIKES 

Don't do that to yourself, try that without luggage etc.  From airport to Luperon is an hour and 15 minutes or so with no stops in a car.  Jan can correct me as she will know better and maybe Bob knows too.

It will take at least 3 gua-guas and a fair amount of shelpping the luggage. Not really an ideal situation.

Cab will be much better and probably in the $80-$90 range.

Bob K