Greencard question- about photo

Hello dear expats,

I read through the descriptions considering the digital image you need to send with the greencard lottery application and it didn'T say anywhere that it needs to be taken in a photo studio professionally. But with the image rules they give eg white background, right angle, sharp, no distracting things in face, etc it does sound a lot like the kind of photographs that you need for visa application.

Has someone already went through this process and can tell me if I need the professional american visa "portrait" taken or really just a homemade shot and then later (if i win) I need to get the professional photo taken?

Hello Pimpelina

Welcome to Expat.com

Hope that somebody soon will be able to help you out.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

You don't need a professional photographer. You can file the picture yourself as long as you follow the requirements. You can use their Online Photo Validation tool to make sure that your picture is valid.

I would imagine it's just like a passport picture.

I decided to take a photo at home today and they accepted it.
So I am hoping that I did it right and it wont be the reason I'll get disqualified.
But if it said accepted and the photo check gave green light too, they wouldn't do
it, or?

I don't think a bad photo will be the reason you don't get a greencard in this process. This lottery is a great opportunity for people who want to move to the USA but the chances you will actually get a card out of it are still quite slim!

It seems like a lot of people think the lottery is a guarantee.  I wonder how many of them know how slim their chances are.

The photo must meet certain criteria. I is best done by a professional who is versed in the criteria and know what he/she is doing. Yes your application can be rejected if the picture is incorrect, it will be considered incomplete.

ronnie0415 wrote:

The photo must meet certain criteria. I is best done by a professional who is versed in the criteria and know what he/she is doing. Yes your application can be rejected if the picture is incorrect, it will be considered incomplete.

And that's the reason why the US State Department created the online tool to validate your digital picture to make sure your application isn't rejected:
https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/photo.aspx

And yes, it's a lottery and the chances are very slim. Plus you need to prove a minimum level of education and enough money set aside, etc...
I strongly encourage people to read all the instructions on the State Dept website: https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/default.aspx

Hi there, I went through this process about 12 years ago. I used the instant passport photo boothes, but was told to go to a professional photoshop. The measurements were very specific and no earrings were allowed and my hair had to be out of my face. I would definitely recommend a professional shop since that is the pic that you would have on your greencard for many years. Good luck

N

The photo I use as my profile picture was taken the same day I got professional photos for my Green Card Lottery application; stupid me I missed the application deadline but at least I have photos!

So, my personal opinion is you can't go wrong with having professionally taken photos every two or three years. Suit up, get a hair cut, trim your beard or shave (whatever you prefer), and go get some pictures taken! These will look wonderful on your CV and Linkedin page as well. You can do what I did: ask the photographer to do a front-facing, serious looking shot as an official photo to use on visa applications or passports, and then just take more creative shots at different angles.

Here in Spain I spent about 20€ for 8 high resolution, awesome looking photographs, and I think they were worth every penny. I hope I'm not as stupid as last year and at least submit my application though!!

Hi Pimpelina,

You could use visafoto to make your DV lottery photo.

Passport pictures are accepted and can be taken at the US Post office and also at Walgreens and several other places.

Jim