Introduce yourself HERE!

Hi
I was looking for all DR teritory, but Santo Domingo and area or city of Santo Domingo - Santo Domingo Oeste will be perfect ( for short and cheap travell...).
Thanks

Sorry somehow we have lost the thread of your postings pszaboka.  What is it you are looking for???  Maybe we can help, I know SD quite well and  the Zona Oriental reasonably.

Hi Pszaboka,

Here is a complete list of nonprofit organizations in the different areas (education,health, children). It is in Spanish but if you click on "detalles" it will display a webpage for the organization. Hope it helps.

http://www.livio.com/directorio/organiz … beneficas/

Ahhh Butterfly we love you already!!! Thanks for the link....

You are welcome. It's my pleasure.

I hope you did not forget about me

Nope i just need to find time to search honey.  I am on it....

Thank you so much - after that I will have some more questions.
Actually I can ask you now one of them. Presently I am chatting with the girl from Santo Domingo that we are planing to get married and she is in very difficult situation - She is living with her grandmother (her father died in accident and her mother abounded her long time ago) and she can not find a job - Is there any agency that could help her out to find a job?

There are various online resources that may or may not be helpful.  I will message you, have her send me her resume and I can give you some direction.

She can check out this website out. It might be helpful.

http://www.empleateya.net

where should she send you her resume - she is only spanish speaking

thank you i am sending her link

Sorry joining the conversation late (beach day today) but pszaboka welcome and glad you got some answers.

Butterfly some great links glad to see you are jumping into the forum with both feet you will be an asset for sure.

Kuda tell me again how long have you known this girl?

Bob K

not that long

why are you asking??

Just wondering if it is one of those "met a girl in DR and fell in love stories.  They usually do not end well.

Bob K

New thread posted - its now a sticky on how to get married in the Dominican Republic!

Thanks for moving this.

Bob K

Thanks for link. Is helpfull - I think , I will found the right organization.

Thanks for the add. I am 33, darkskin in Texas. I am in IT and I'm wanting to settle down and have a family with a family minded woman who's a hard worker. I love to work on cars and computers.

Welcome Hacker (boy I hope this is a misnomer :D )

What is your interest in the Dominican Republic?  Have you been here before or plan on a trip here?

Again welcome

Bob K

went to JFK High School  in Washington heights nyc. Ive been into dominican women ever since, but seeing how it's more difficult to find a more traditional "Claire Huxtable" type of woman, I've been considering trying to think out the box and explore outside CONUS.

I also want to plan a trip, for about a month and make a decision then, but I know I'll have to improve my spanish, and find a good place thats trustworthy that won't cost too much.

Welcome!  You will also need to learn more about the culture as well.....

Ask away to get some information. It is a big country with multiple "good" areas to live in.  The DR is not for everyone so do plan a long "non tourist' trip to explore.

Bob K

Can you kindly "point" me in the right direction to know the culture better? Thanx!!!

My husband and I will be in Luperon for January and February. Is there any place that would need volunteers?
We are looking for something to do while we live in DR.

yes, I agree!!! I want to rent a small place on the "safe" countryside area (if that exist) and spend a good month there before I make any life changing decisions with any females, etc. What do you think?

Max read lots of what is on the various threads,  including our posts about daily life.  It is full of good info.

Amesei we will ask Jan about volunteer opportunities in Luoeron, she will know.

hackerman, big cities are not the place to learn & expirence the culture. smaller towns have more of the down to earth locals. they also will be more inclined to help you. the big cities are the same worldwide, too busy & congested to get a real feel for the country. it is better to be a medium sized frog in a medium sized pond. usually safer too. I spent too many years learning this, with all the problems that go along with it. welcome & keep posting.

Gypsy i disagree with you.  Smaller communities are completely different but just another segment of the culture here.

Depending where we are discussing there are many many more "down to earth" people in the cities! 

As always - it depends what you want, what works for you. One is not necessarily better, but, different!!!!

Poster isnt looking to settle here necessarily....

I agree with Planner.  Cities, small towns, rural areas, beach areas all have something different to offer.  Heck you can go to places like Punta Cana at one of the mega resorts for a week and never see the DR at all!

Bob K

I think it is really to each his own......what works for you?????  Identify whats important to YOU first and foremost!!!

That is one of the reasons I am currently moving.....I identified some things that are important to me, and making changes accordingly.....

There are several schools and a free clinic, they can always use help. Spanish is not a must but helps.

I agree with you, big cities do have a lot to offer if you are into them. to me, the culture is comprised of the totality of the country. but to me the cities are more difficult to navigate through. to find the culture is to experience it all. if you spent most of your life in them, you have not gotten the benefit of the smaller, more laid back parts of the culture. to me, the culture doesn't lie in the nightlife or the hustle of the city. it lies in the day to day life of the simpler life. the history, morals, family structure are more easily discerned in the slower pace of the smaller towns. it is not the art or musems that will tell of the dsy to day living.  I am not castigating those that prefer the urban life, just suggesting the value of getting out into the rest of the world.

Thanks Jan

See Gypsy a  city in the DR isn't like a city anywhere else.  If you go into some of the barrios,  urbanizaciones etc   you will find little towns unto themselves,  they often work just like small towns outside the cities!! IT is truly amazing. 

And every different part of the country is in some way a part of the culture. Some of the museums here in SD are rich in the culture of this country, the history etc.  You must come see the Colonial Zone and experience it, well worth it.  Nightlife - only part of the scene.  You are invited to come join me on a Sunday night at las Ruinas de San Francisco here in the Colonial Zone. It is a slice of  Dominican Culture you will see nowhere else!!!!   And I mean that invite - just let me get moved...LOL

But again, it is all about individual needs. None of us can presume to know what another may or may not want. We always need to offer a bigger picture with those of us having specific experiences  describing, detailing,  helping,  etc   

One size fits no one really.......

as always you are coming up with cogent replays that make me think. they might not change my opinion, but they always make me ruminate upon them. when I get to the D.R., I will accept your invite. thanks again.

Yayyyyy..... and seriously offer is open to others too.

Bonjour a tous ...
arrivee prevue pour notre petite famille le 29 octobre
nous sommes un couple avec 3 enfants de 9 10 et 12 ans  deja inscrits a l ecole de Pueblo Bavaro ... et au CNED !
Pour l instant dans la region de Punta Cana et en visite ailleurs
Moniteurs de voile et ayant une entreprise d organisation de voyages tout compris en France .... nous esperons faire notre petit trou en RD

Nous esperons rencontrer de nouveaux copains   

A bientot !

Closed