Welder/Fabricator

Hello,

I have a set of engineering drawing for a fairly simple tool I need made in Saigon.  Wondering if any body out there knows of a decent welder/ fabricator?

Best regards,

I know the best!

Questions: Are you using ferrous metals or stainless steel?

I also know metal sources, plasma cutting/welding, acid washing (removing welding crud), etc.

All are located in ChoLon, so do you have wheels?

If you wish, I could show the drawings to the vendor and get a (good) price, if they can be e-mailed. Just send your e-mail address to my PM and I will give you my address. They are fixed price quotes, no haggling and no VAT.

I will introduce the vendors to you and you do the deal.

P.S. I make no charge for these introductions! VNese tend to charge, collect commissions for into's.

Hi,

What do you want to make? You can give me a picture for me to make sure befor giving me the address

Regards

Jaitch wrote:

I know the best!

Questions: Are you using ferrous metals or stainless steel?

I also know metal sources, plasma cutting/welding, acid washing (removing welding crud), etc.

All are located in ChoLon, so do you have wheels?

If you wish, I could show the drawings to the vendor and get a (good) price, if they can be e-mailed. Just send your e-mail address to my PM and I will give you my address. They are fixed price quotes, no haggling and no VAT.

I will introduce the vendors to you and you do the deal.

P.S. I make no charge for these introductions! VNese tend to charge, collect commissions for into's.

Hi Jaitch, not all of them and always. I heard many expats say good about Vietnamese people who are willingly to help for free. :)

Hi OP,
I know some local labors who are very skilled of doing tools/things with glass, metal, stainless steel,... I can help introduce them if you need.
But it's a good idea of knowing exactly what kind of tools you want to make.

Scarletvn wrote:

Hi Jaitch, not all of them and always. I heard many expats say good about Vietnamese people who are willingly to help for free.

I agree. There are an equal number who think Foreigners are 'Marks' to be exploited. I believe in helping free, if possible. We just lost two students - one got a job in Singapore and another employment in VN's financial industry.

I, and my colleagues, teach English and life skills, at no cost. Recently, in this web site's Classifieds, there was an American female advertising English tuition for USD$30/hour!

I know some local labors who are very skilled of doing tools/things with glass, metal, stainless steel ...

Glass contacts sound interesting ... my employer has a robotics section and some projects involve glass.

Your name is in my book!

I was thinking it would be fun to have Vietnamese/expat "pot-lucks" where people could bring a food dish and practice their english with expats.  The title would be "Feed a Foreigner".  I don't know which came first, the event idea or the name.  :)

DanFromSF wrote:

I was thinking it would be fun to have Vietnamese/expat "pot-lucks" where people could bring a food dish and practice their english with expats.  The title would be "Feed a Foreigner".  I don't know which came first, the event idea or the name.  :)

Not so much the language of love, more the language of food, eh?  :lol:

eodmatt wrote:

Hey, this is a purely platonic endeavor.  Get your mind out of the gutter. ;)

(But, if you want to go there, there's a reason the say "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" :) )

DanFromSF wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

Hey, this is a purely platonic endeavor.  Get your mind out of the gutter. ;)

(But, if you want to go there, there's a reason the say "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" :) )

Dan, Dan, gustatorial man! My mind is far from the gutter, old chap. But the concept of accepting food possibly some distance away from where it was cooked and in a tropical climate, might not be without complications.  ;)

eodmatt wrote:

But the concept of accepting food possibly some distance away from where it was cooked and in a tropical climate, might not be without complications.  ;)

Really?  So, you never eat banh mi from those carts with meat that has been sitting in the hot Vietnamese sun all day? ;)

DanFromSF wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

But the concept of accepting food possibly some distance away from where it was cooked and in a tropical climate, might not be without complications.  ;)

Really?  So, you never eat banh mi from those carts with meat that has been sitting in the hot Vietnamese sun all day? ;)

Actually, no.

I do love eating banh mi for breakfast, but only when they are freshly made early in the morning.

The last time I ate banh mi late in the day was during a move from some small town elsewhere in the Mekong Delta to Bac Lieu. On arrival at the Bac Lieu hotel I was so ill that I involuntarily voided my stomach contents in the lift going up to my room. I then spent three days not daring to go more than a few metres from the bathroom.

Once bitten, twice shy!  :|

Well, I've never had a problem.  I subscribe to the belief that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. :)

And I think "Feed a Foreigner" would be fun.  Let's see what the locals think... :)

I am merely counseling caution.

Enjoy! :top:

If I wanted to be cautious, I would have stayed in suburban America.  :top:

DanFromSF wrote:

If I wanted to be cautious, I would have stayed in suburban America.  :top:

I have visited the USA on several occasions. The last time it was to stay with friends, who live in a pleasant area  of Norfolk, Virginia. In the early hours of the morning of my first day, there was a frenzied banging at the door. My host opened the door to find a young lady in a state of distress. She had been beaten and was in pain. My  host called the medics and the police. It seems that her b/f had beaten her up whilst he was high on drugs and had imprisoned her against her will. She she said that she eventually escaped through a window, when he passed out.

When the police arrived one of the policemen asked me what I knew about the situation that had arisen and I replied that, as I had only arrived from UK a few hours before, I had no information to add, to which he responded: "Welcome to America, sir".

My freinds house backs on to a creek, on the other side of which is a housing area that he referred to as "the hood". A few days after my arrival we could here gunshots emanating from "the hood" and later found out that several people had been shot there in a drugs related incident.

Many areas of the UK are moving the same way now.

It is probably safer in Vietnam.

If you crave "interesting times" though, come and work with me.  ;)

I can't say I ever had that kind of experience in the US -- not that I would have wanted to.  The most "interesting" thing that I'd hear in my old neighborhood were the howls of coyote at night -- which is damn scary the first time you hear them, but it's actually pretty cool once you get used to it. (They sound exactly like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwN24uzc77Q )

There's no doubt that drugs and violent crime are huge problems in a lot of the US, and that's the dichotomy in the suburbs.  It's either extreme boredom, or insane violence, and no middle ground.  That's why I find HCM so interesting -- just jumping on your motorbike to find yourself a new water filter is an adventure. :)

DanFromSF wrote:

I can't say I ever had that kind of experience in the US -- not that I would have wanted to.  The most "interesting" thing that I'd hear in my old neighborhood were the howls of coyote at night -- which is damn scary the first time you hear them, but it's actually pretty cool once you get used to it. (They sound exactly like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwN24uzc77Q )

There's no doubt that drugs and violent crime are huge problems in a lot of the US, and that's the dichotomy in the suburbs.  It's either extreme boredom, or insane violence, and no middle ground.  That's why I find HCM so interesting -- just jumping on your motorbike to find yourself a new water filter is an adventure. :)

HCM is certainly a different place and I love living there. Most of my wifes family live in the central highlands and it's very quiet where they are, but the air is so fresh there and the mountains stand out against a pristine sky, so its nice to visit every now and then.

Coyote.... yes I heard them for the first time when I lived in Canada (New Brunswick) where I lived in a very remote place for 6 months - as you say, an eerie sound. Bears were a problem there too, not so much for the noise they made but for raiding the garbage bins. We had to enclose the bins in expanded steel cages and even then they managed to rip one of the XPM sections off and raid the bins.

Drugs and violence are endemic in some UK cities now and some places are no go areas after dark. The British Bobby used to be an icon, but these days with "performance led policing" and political correctness - and the change from police force to police service, they are becoming less efficient.

We seem to have strayed off topic a fair way so I hope that the OP finds the welder he is seeking. I am in Hong Kong right now and there are loads of them here.