New members of the Thailand forum, introduce yourself here

Hi there,

I'm Glenda from Philippines currently working at Ayuthaya, Thailand. Been staying here for almost 4 years now and I love this city very much, it's laid back but adventure can be found anywhere  :top::proud

Related to Proandgo's post: I am very interested in Chiang Mai. The thing I have been hearing is that the air pollution is very bad. Is that so and how do you manage it ? What does a decent studio apartment with refrigerator, microwave, air con, balcony, etc really cost / month. Is it possible to get one for 3500B or less ?   Have you experienced any problems with crime or corrupted police, etc?
Also, what would you recommend on a visa? I am my late 50's and considering a retirement visa but I would also like the possibility on doing some part time work ( teaching English).
Explain a visa run. Do you just have to go to another country and turn around and come back or is there more to it?

Seems like this should be a different thread, somewhere else.  But I'll answer it here anyway.

-Chiang Mai air pollution:  I go there about once a year and have never noticed any problem.  I think it's periodic related to local air flow patterns and burning crops at a certain time, with some impact from industrial pollution.  Probably more research on this elsewhere instead of asking on a forum would turn up a more complete answer, and it might relate to specific health concerns.  I think the air would be cleaner than in Los Angeles but that could still be a problem for some people.

-studio apartment cost:  3500 baht sounds really low.  Note people live in different ways and modern Western living environment will cost more, probably a lot more than that.  Be sure to research what living like a local is like (eg. is air conditioning necessary or not), and it may not even be an option at that price range.

-crime:  in general there is much less crime in Thailand than in the US, likely not an issue.  Eventually you might pay the police an informal fine instead of a speeding ticket but in 7 years in Bangkok it hasn't come up for me.

-visa issues:  retirement visa seems the obvious way to go, so research requirements elsewhere (thaivisa forum maybe).  working on a retirement visa wouldn't seem to be an option but it's something to look into.  being here on a working visa is very problematic (employer would really need to want you to be here, so unless working as an English teacher in the US now not so simple).  as for visa runs, some people stay here on tourist visas for a long time, and need to leave and come back every 2 or 3 months, crossing the nearest local border.  the rest of that gets complicated, and rules and enforcement keeps changing; do research.

Hello! I am planning to move to Chiang Mai early next year with my Japanese husband. I would love to hear from Japanese people living in Chiang Mai.
I lived in Japan for 18 years but currently we are in Australia. 日本語でもokです〜

What is considered a good price for a studio apartment with AC, some security , furnished  with refrigerator, Tv.  Close to public transportation and street vendors. I am pretty basic by western standards.

Hello

I am Thai not an expat, I am looking for the job, my experience about take care children and I can cook food.
I can speak English language, I am discipline and clean. Would you please contact me by phone no. 085 240 9333 in case you looking for someone to help you.

Hope to hear a good new from you soon.
Best regards.
J.

Soy nuevo en el foro.
estoy buscando un apartamento para alquilar el mes de marzo-15, me gustaría el cuadrado que forman Pattaya Central, Carretera de la Playa, Pattaya Sud y Tercera carretera.
si conoces algo te agradecería me lo dijeras, a un precio razonable.
Si conoces Residencial Avenue, esta muy cerca de la segunda carretera y sabes como ponerme en contacto con ellos, lo agradecería.
Muchas gracias ....   Algarrobo

Good morning,

I m a 33 years old woman and I living in Paris since .... few years!

I m a an Illustrator and painter artist. I work for myself and I have my costumer in Europe and United states.
I do illustrator advertising, editors, kids room decoration...

I also used to work as a saler in the fashion.

I m thinking to moov in Thailand with my boyfriend who s a manager in the luxury restaurants, Ambassade and Palace in Paris. He knows Thïland well. but just for holidays.

For my part I know and came few times in Bali and Singapor.

I grew up in Africa for my 10 to 18 years old. I really need to back to the expat life with my boyfriend.
We just start to think seriously to this project.

Hope my introduction is not so bad!

:P

Nice to meet you!

Cha

@ algarrobo > Can you please post in english only on this english speaking forum? It will help everybody to understand. ;)

Thanks

Priscilla

hi there! I'm also from Phils and I would like to try living and working in Thailand..How did you manage to go there and work? any suggestions and help?Thanks a lot :)

heya guys..new here and just want to ask anyone who knows any hotel/hospitality jobs in thailand? wanted to move there..thanks.. :)

Hi All,

Thank you for your welcome.

I am italian, 52, married (my wife is Belgian), with two daughters (10 and 8 years old), living in Italy at present. We have been in Thailand several times and are considering re-locating in Phuket.

What's life for families with little children like, there ? Are expatriates with children living in a specific area mainly or anywhere in Phuket ?  What about criminality ? I have never felt in danger in Thailand, nor a hostile atmosphere but surfing the net criminality seems to be an issue in Phuket. Really ?

Thanks.

Federico

hi kat i am mohamed from Egypt i was been many many times Moscow and saint peters burg - i love Russia allot and speak Russian too
any way i think your place is pattaya i come here many times and i live now in pattaya too
because almost tourist here is Russian and many tourist agency and restaurant looking for native Russian language to communicate with tourist  as you know almost Russian tourist    ( говорить немного по-английски )
for this i recommend pattaya for you ......
i wish you good luck and if you come pattay and need any help inform me me too if i find any thing about what you looking for i will inform you

i am mohamed also in pattaya and looking for friends too
i was been Moscow many many times and st. peters burg too and i speck some Russian too
i am in pattaya for long time and looking for friends too

i am Egyptian and i am in pattaya now for long time need more friends here in Thailand
i was been many times russia i love this country allot

wooow its great

Hi, I'm Paul Mehdi, I joined the forum looking for a job application in Bangkok Thailand, I'm actually in France and working in a retail banking group. If you have any advice let me know, thanks to all of you! :)

Hello,

I'm Paul I've lived in Bangkok for almost 6 years now and it is very much home. Having worked in UK pensions since 1985, I arrived here on the back of a round the world trip and Thailand is now in my heart. I have recently set up my own business to bring UK standards to pensions and investments in Thailand so it is very different to the model people will be used to here. It has started well and I am looking forward to being here for many more years. I play golf and pool regularly and am currently captain of the Londoner Golf Society who meet twice a month to try and hit a ball whilst having good fun!
All the best to you all.

Paul

[Moderated: No free ad]

[Moderated: Off topic]

how do you plan to do your own business?
Do you know whats required and how to set it up?

Have troubled to Thailand many times as a tourist and would now like to try it as a long term rental with a view to settling if all works out!
We, my partner Christine and I would prefer Koh Samui and I need help in how to find long term rentals without paying tourist rates. We are both in our 60 and young for our age and don't need to rough it so a villa with pool and balcony would be what we would be looking for.
Any contacts would be appreciated.

paultravel wrote:

Have troubled to Thailand many times as a tourist and would now like to try it as a long term rental with a view to settling if all works out!
We, my partner Christine and I would prefer Koh Samui and I need help in how to find long term rentals without paying tourist rates. We are both in our 60 and young for our age and don't need to rough it so a villa with pool and balcony would be what we would be looking for.
Any contacts would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum
I am sure members will answer your post soon. Have you looked into a visa yet ??

Hi everyone my name is Johan and I just got here this week from Sweden. I really just want to meet new people, so please write me a line if you're up for lunch, hanging out or any kind of fun activity. 
I'm a photographer who has been working as an assistant in fashion, kids-, still life- and commercial photography. Also portraits,  travel and wedding. 
I particularly enjoy eating, clubbing, cinema and exploring.
Looking forward!

Hello Everyone,
I am new to Expat.com and sure will get to make friends in Thailand. I am moving my base from Philippines to Thailand (Phuket) next month( Oct.20,2014 ). Have taken a tourist and the same time I'm looking for a job there iether in engineering jobs or teaching job,because I want to help my husband for our children to finish their schooling ,especially this coming school year  because my eldest daughter is turning to college next year and financial security for the whole family. and hope to do well. Thailand has always fascinated me and I hope I can land a job here .

I hope and pray that my prayer will be granted with the help of expotblog..Thank you very much in advance..

More power
Josephine R. Moralita

Hello everyone,
I am Pema Dolkar from Bhutan. I have graduated this year and I am looking for a job in the tourism and hospitality sector as I have completed my degree in this particular field. I have been to Bangkok before and have fallen in love with the unique culture and vibrant places of the city.. Well this is probably the summed up version.

Thank you  :)

hi
sorry are you female or male
a lot of hospitality and tourism happens in Pattaya
so maybe try here

Oops sorry, I am a female and thank you for the info

what is your native language
and you speak and write English
what about Thai do you speak and write Thai

hello
a lot has changed since the Junta.
The work permit rules are strictly enforced and penalties are high
The border runs are not easy to do now as the system has been abused by to many for to long
There is an investment visa but I think as you are talking about 3500 baht rooms this doesnt apply to you
Retirement Visa you will need 800K in the bank for a few months before you apply or 65K per month pension money and be able to show some evidence of this to Immigration.
if you get married then its half the amount of 800K

My native language is known as 'Dzongkha', yes I do speak and write in English. But however I do not know Thai language.

Welcome to Expat.com

Hi I am Martin, new to this forum.
I would like to know the best place to advertise top of the line camera Lens,
Also the best place to advertise my Chev cruise to sell
I have tried this Expat.com and after 3 months not 1 reply so there must be better places to advertise.
Can anyone help with some good advice?
Thank you all Marty.

Expat Zone !!

I am Jons from Thailand work as an engineer.

(Moderated: no free ads on the forum pls+ register in the business directory)

ur introduction is more then enough its nice to b living in thailand as an expat but which part u r planning to live i am living in pattaya here we have a varitey of cultures and many thing so if u wanna b here i can b useful and helpful to u

hi everyone,

m new on this forum so don't really know how to post anything here!
i have visited thailand once - phuket and nearby islands....and found people there and the place beautiful and i am considering to move to bangkok for work purpose.
i am a fashion/apparel designer by profession and has been in this field for 7 years....designing kid's and women's western wear.
have been applying to various jobs online but havent got a headthrough till now....so i am seeking help from people here on this forum regarding the same - how to search for jobs/also if anyone here knows of any opening in this field.

any kind of information will be of great help

have a wonderful day!

thanks

Wow I am excited to to be on this Blog...as I need help. I am a single male working In a village east of Beijing China as a english teacher and I am on contract until July 2015...This will be my last year in China and I so badly want to find a safe place  (Phuket)
to retire(work Part Time) and live five months of the year in Thailand, then go home each year to Canada.  I am a Canadian from New Brunswick.  I am coming for a visit to Phuket in a couple of weeks ..end of September 2014..to check it out....Just need to meet people alraedy living there....

Just need a plan...never know may leave tomorrow...:)

Prayers to All

Russell

Wee Chat is tuzzell56  or 13269094446 text

Hi...been living in Thailand for almost 2 years now. I head the primary school division in one of the international schools in Nonthaburi. I planned to stay for 2 years initially but decided to extend my contract further as I am loving it here for now. Love to meet with other fellow expats or even local Thais who speak some English, hangout with and maybe explore a lil' more of Thailand together whenever possible.

My name is Julie Howard. I am a Canadian who has lived in Asia for the past 28 years beginning in Tokyo and subsequently moving to Hong Kong, Hanoi, Chiangmai, Ho Chi Minh City, Phnom Penh and Bangkok where I have have resided for the past nine years with my husband Michael and our two Golden Retrievers in “an oasis” in the middle of the city. I have been a primary through middle school teacher, librarian, trainer and recruiter, exporter of Asian furniture, presenter of ESL programs for a variety of corporate clients, fitness instructor and Bed and Breakfast Operator. I am International marathon runner, love the outdoors and have trekked in Nepal and Bhutan.

My proudest accomplishment has been the recent publication of my book HARRY HOWARD Memoirs of an Expat, Frequent-Flyer, Cross-Culture Golden Retriever. Harry lived in five countries and has been given the wherewithal to describe the countries and cultures he lived in and at the same time provide insight into his Human's culture shock as we moved from country to country.[moderated: no free ads please]

Hi all

I am Eugene and planning to long stay in Bangkok. I am looking forward to make new friends in Bangkok and establish contact and friendship. I am contactable @ Line eugene5320 or whatsapp me @ +65 90305320. Thank you.

Closed