Overstay Consequences

Hi,

If someone overstays the tourist card, pays the fine and leaves the country.  Do they have to stay outside the DR for a certain amount of time to renenter?  Will they have a problem if they leave for a week and then come back?

There is no time requirement for leaving the country.  Although the overstay fine can be far less expensive then the cost of a trip!

No you can come as often as you want just pay the overstay fee every time you leave and have been here for over 30 days.

Bob K

Hello,

Just want to clarify. So, the only consequence for overstaying (with a tourist card) for year or more is that I would have to pay exit fee when leaving, am I right? (I'm not going to have a job here)

Currently that is correct. The new fee for over a year and less than two years is $8000 pesos. The government is starting to make it more difficult to stay that long with out getting your residency.

Bob K

Correct at the moment. Nothing is expected to change soon, but it will change. Coming into a new election (2016) they are already starting to be careful about what they do in the government. I do not thing we will see changes yet.