HOW TO : Foreigner to Marry a Moroccan. Step by step instructions.

Hi everyone.

Ive noticed that alot of people ask for help re mixed marriage in Morocco. Here is my own personal experience that i want to share.

Some information you might want to know is that im from New Zealand and my partner is Moroccan and we completed this whole process is Agadir, Morocco.

Step One: Before leaving your home country you should sort these papers

1. No Impediment to Marriage certificate
2. Updated Birth Certificate
3. Criminal records from Home country
4. Certificate of Previous employment stating dates worked and annual salary
5. Certificate of Nationality (If your country does not have this then your birth certificate and passport will be fine)
6. Certificate of Religion

After you have all these papers you should take them to a notary public or a government official to state that the documents are true and accurate.
They need to put there signature and stamp on your papers.
After this you then need them to be translated to ARABIC. DO NOT TRANSLATE TO FRENCH IT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

After the translation you then need to send all the papers to the moroccan embassy designated for your country. For New Zealand it was the Moroccan embassy in Australia. You need to include in the package a cash cheque for them to put the special stamps on the papers and a prepaid courier bag to send the papers back to you.
(For information on how much you need to send for the cash cheque you should contact the moroccan embassy for your country)

Once all of this is done you are good to go to Morocco.
Once you are in Morocco you need to go to the MINISTRY DE LA JUSTICE , RABAT. Its a day trip and you need to get your criminal records from there. Get them done up in arabic. Cost is 30dh.

Once you have this paper you and your partner need to go see a doctor in Morocco and get a general test done on both of you. This includes general check up, xray and blood tests. cost is 200dh each.

After this your partner needs his or her moroccan national identidy card (THE NEW ONE), criminal records from his or her city of residence, no impediment to marriage certificate and an updated birth certificate.

Once he has these you can both take all your papers to an adoul. He is the one that will help you to marry in court. Depeding on your country it will range between 2000 to 3000 dh.

Then your done...fianlly!!!!

It sounds simple, but Its the most time gruely process and EXPENSIVE i might add but worth it in the end.

Give your self plenty of time. Theres always something or someone to sting you money wise around each corner so be prepared for a few shocks. (It always good to know someone in the legal systems e.g.: A main police officer or official, Morocco is unfortunately corrupt in more ways then one so what ever you think it may cost you be prepared to double it as under the table cash payments to even simply admin workers will help you get your things done faster. Sad but true).

Please responde if this has helped some of you to get a better understanding.

if you have any questions please feel free to ask :)

Since our marriage in Morocco we now both live in New Zealand and have been married over 3 years now and still going strong. All i can say is if you are going to Morocco to meet the love of your life, take your time...there is really no need to rush. If someone is trying to wine and dine you on the first visit to marriage then reconsider. i remember sitting in the courts with a couple of other moroccan/foreigners wanting to get married and i could see how fake it really all was. It was funny because wen me and my partner went to get signed off from the police and judge they actually said they were ''refreshed'' to find a couple that were around the same age (I'm younger) wanting to get married, they seem to see way to many illegitimate marriages, and i could see what they mean.

Cheers

Good job, well written.  This was my experience (I'm Canadian).  I think you have done a good job of listing what needs to be done.  Especially the documents that the foreigner needs from her/his home country.   Good post.   M

Just a side note from your excellent description, I am from the U.S. and just married my Moroccan husband last September, 2013. I did not need the employment information, the doctor check up consisted of no more than a brief office meeting (no blood work or x-rays), you will need 4 copies of each translated and stamped document, and being a Christian woman I had to have a sworn statement of my Christianity translated to French NOT Arabic--this is the ONLY document that MUST be in French NOT Arabic (we found that out the hard way).
Good Luck to all!

mwstebbins wrote:

Good job, well written.  This was my experience (I'm Canadian).  I think you have done a good job of listing what needs to be done.  Especially the documents that the foreigner needs from her/his home country.   Good post.   M

Im glad you have found this post of some use. :) thanks for your feedback

RAEzWORLD wrote:

Just a side note from your excellent description, I am from the U.S. and just married my Moroccan husband last September, 2013. I did not need the employment information, the doctor check up consisted of no more than a brief office meeting (no blood work or x-rays), you will need 4 copies of each translated and stamped document, and being a Christian woman I had to have a sworn statement of my Christianity translated to French NOT Arabic--this is the ONLY document that MUST be in French NOT Arabic (we found that out the hard way).
Good Luck to all!

hi raezworld. thanks for your input. i think a lot of it also depends of the country you come from and also the city in which you complete your marriage in. When it came to the religion part the adoul asked me about my religion....i don't come from any reglious family so i said I'm nothing, he laughed but in the end told me i had to declare some sort of religion so i got a written letter from just the local authorisation centre to say i am christian (new zealand being a christian background) this cost me 10dh. very strange to say you had to have this one in french as the courts would only accept mine in arabic...once again this may depend of the city i think. thanks for sharing you experience.

Yes! Imagine our surprise after the cost of having it translated into Arabic AND notorized, that it had to be in French? ! Because Morocco is a French county, technically, was the answer we received.   :/

RAEzWORLD wrote:

Yes! Imagine our surprise after the cost of having it translated into Arabic AND notorized, that it had to be in French? ! Because Morocco is a French county, technically, was the answer we received.   :/

hmm very strange indeed. oh well....theirs always i different story or way in morocco haha. oh well glad it worked out for you in the end :)

wish you all happyness guys :)

ichtar1 wrote:

wish you all happyness guys :)

thankyou :)

you welcome summer..i asked you in other forum is your husband is amazigh or arab?  :heart:  "one heart for you and him"  :P

ichtar1 wrote:

you welcome summer..i asked you in other forum is your husband is amazigh or arab?  :heart:  "one heart for you and him"  :P

he is amazigh yes :) lovely place agadir and lovely people. :) will be good to holiday again there :) are you from agadir ?

i am also amazigh..i am totally native amazigh..i am originally from tafraout "he will know where is it"..and i study before in agadir..

ichtar1 wrote:

i am also amazigh..i am totally native amazigh..i am originally from tafraout "he will know where is it"..and i study before in agadir..

nice :) i just had a look at the map. i had never gone there but looks lovely. :) i always enjoy taghazout that place is my total heaven haha. enjoy the beach there and everything. i went to the other major cities of morocco and found the people of agadir to be a lot of friendly, and i think its becoz people  there are amazigh. :) well i live their for 1 year in agadir ...well inzegane i was.

yes i know inzegan..and agadir anyway i love villages more than cities..i feel good in village...i am writer so it help me for inspiration
:)

Hello
I have started all this and cant wait. I have been dating my fiancee for10 months and finally took a 2week trip for the 2nd time. He and all his family ask for my hand in marriage.  It was a special time for all of us. I am from the US and just want to ask how long is the immigration process? Time and cost?

@misty gibbons. Congrats :) where abouts will you be getting married in what city .. .? In regards to your question re immigration ? Do you mean you want to become a moroccan resident ?

We will be doing everything in Rabat. And the immigration part is for both of us. We plan to live 2 years in US and travel back and forth

Misty Gibbons wrote:

We will be doing everything in Rabat. And the immigration part is for both of us. We plan to live 2 years in US and travel back and forth

Hey. Oh easy for you doing it all in rabat. :) im not really to experienced re the whole immigration process in morocco. I believe if you want to earn a moroccan residency ( and this is from my knowledge from the ministy of foreign affairs morocco ) is that you have to at least $50,000 usd in a morccan bank account and a propety there too. Although if you marry you kinda automatically qualify for residence. Its a strange process. all i did was keep to being a tourist visa and kept prolonging it. Re immigration to the usa not to sure sorry as im from nz. My husband got from nz a work visa under partnership for 2 years but the requisit is that we had to be living in the same home with proof for 12 months minimum and evidence of our relationship for him to come back to nz. uSA might be totally different though

Thanks for beautiful post. Its really helpful for me because i m the way this situation. I am from India working in abroad and want marry with my g/f from Casablanca. Hopefully this information will help to us.

Thanks

I'm afraid I have to agree with the cynicism of xb23. Very, very few of these marriages work out for a number of reasons. There are pages and pages and pages of stories of disastrous marriages on the net, including on this forum, mainly detailing rip offs, demands for money often to solve (imaginary) family disasters, infidelity. Don't make the mistake of thinking that "my fiancé/fiancée is different, s/he LURVES me". In 99% of the cases, this will be false. If you believe this, you are in for a very big fall.

At the first instance of "could you pay for my Mum's/Granny's/cousin's scanner/operation/medicine/house repair costs/back taxes/car repairs?", just run a mile. Pay it once and you are lost. The demands will accelerate in frequency and cost.

Never, ever pay regular subsidies to a family or "fiancé/fiancée". Never pay dowries, advances, until the day itself.

If you don't pay heed to this, you will be lost.

Oh, and one last thing, if there is a large age difference between you and your Moroccan "fiancé/fiancée", ask yourself why on earth they would be in LURVE with you, especially in the case of much older women and younger Moroccan men.

Well, having read the thread, I'd like to add my 2 or 20 cents' worth if I may.  This is based on my experience and on that of several couples I've known along the way.  I will doubtless be accused of naivety by some, but it is my sincere (and reflected) opinion.  I do not think it is as black and white as Moroccans (in this case) being purely out for what they can get in these relationships.  It's a part of it, it's definitely part of it - the elevated divorce rates in these relationships (such as my own) is testament to that.  But I think there are also genuine emotions involved, except perhaps in extreme cases.  Human beings are complex things, not cardboard cut-outs or figures out of some pantomime.  Few relationships are entirely devoid of self-interest of some kind.  It is actually possible to be out for what you can get and also feel some level of attachment or emotional involvement with somebody.  My Moroccan ex-husband exploited me, no doubt about it.  But then he exploits most people he gets involved with.  I also know he had some genuine feeling for me.  In our particular case, it is completely false that the family were also self-interested.  My ex-husband's mother and sisters are decent, caring people with large hearts and strong values; I have remained on good terms with them and continue to see them from time to time.  I have never really understand why the males of this family are not from the same mould though it is probably largely to do with the upbringing of boys here. 

As I say... my few cents' worth.

Yet they allowed him to exploit you... As if they didn't know about his nature(!)

They are called MorocCON for a reason.

No, actually.  The exploitation (I won't go into it) took place when we living in the UK together - they knew nothing about it at the time - and at the time of our divorce, my ex-mother in law insisted that my ex-husband pay me back a large part of what he took from me.

If he has received his Indefinite Leave to Remain/Citizenship & was not deported, then his family asking him to pay back is nothing. The purpose of marrying a British or any Western citizen is obvious. Once that goal is achieved, paying back means zilch.

Monsieur, you are clearly so embittered by your own experience that you see nothing but total depravity in all this :)  In fact, my ex-husband wasn't interested in getting ILR - it was me who pushed for him to see the point of it, did all the paperwork, etc.  He did get it but left to return to Morocco shortly afterwards; he has never been back to the UK since and has no interest in going back.  He has a good job here and earns a good living; in the UK he had to work in a factory for the minimum wage.  He stuck at it for two years (frankly more than I could have done) and the experience was more than enough.

Are you British?  If so, you put me to shame.  This is so sad and so forlorn a view of people whom you simply do not know.  My in laws, or ex laws, are devout Muslims whose lives are bound by daily rituals of prayer and devotion.  I have never been treated with such respect or such graciousness as I was and still am by my ex-mother in law whom I see quite often, particularly as she is the grandmother of my son.  They have no reason to want their son to be a British citizen (he is not anyway) and they are completely indifferent to the matter.

I have met loads of decent Moroccan men.  My ex-husband was not one of them.  Basically decent Moroccan men don't typically seek out foreigners to have relationships with.  But I love my ex-mother and sisters-in-law; I have never seen or met with such kindness, hospitality, warmth and disinterested sharing as I experience with them.

Oh by the way, you said they are devout Muslims, yet allow their son to marry a non-Muslim woman? No religious Muslim family would allow such a thing to happen. And before you tell me you reverted, they still wouldn't allow it. So my judgement was right. :)

Reverted?  You mean converted?? 

You obviously understand nothing of what it is to be truly devout.  In fact, people who are truly spiritual are far more open to other people and other faiths than people who might be described as "social" Muslims, who are the majority.  Your view of Morocco is very partial and incomplete.  You have understood one part of it but actually there is far more to it than that.  Which is why I still live here.

How do you know I am not a Muslim?

My comments will be deleted by the moderators as usual, or the thread closed. So it's quite futile to continue this. I bid you farewell.

stop being off topic / trolling on threads and we'll definitely stop moderating you. The exchange between CathyMarie and you is getting personal and you should exchange in private.

Apologies.  I have no desire to continue the conversation, either in private or public :)  I did just want to make the point that the exploitation of foreigners by Moroccans is more nuanced than some people are saying and also, more importantly (to me), that it is simply not true that ALL Moroccan families are just "out for what they can get".  This is insulting and, in my opinion, based on ignorance of Morocco.

No need to apology CathyMary, my message was address to xb23. Looks like all his recent messages are here to create controverse.

Thanks so much for all this info! Quick question- translating documents is to Classic Arabic not Darija right?

No, neither.

Translation is to Modern Standard Arabic, the language used by the courts, the cops in their statements, affidavits, TV and so on.

Thank you!

hello
It was soo nice to hear your story..Actually I am also going to Morroco to get married.
Can you tell me about any Moroccan Consulate in Auckland?
Please tell me how did u get visa of Morocco? Do I have to go to the embassy myself for the visa?
Please help
regards
Muhammad

Thanks for that helpful information I wonder if you can tell me about certificate of religion? What is it and where do I get it ? No one.seems to know!
Thanks

You go to the embassy in Rabat after taking all your documents you must apply for the visa online make sure you have all documents with you as there is nothing that tells you online... Before you go put your impediment up and fly straight away with this in hand in uk it lasts only two months

Paulabell wrote:

Thanks for that helpful information I wonder if you can tell me about certificate of religion? What is it and where do I get it ? No one.seems to know!
Thanks

Morning,

For a Muslim, a certificate of religion is obtained from their Mosque. I'm assuming in your case, it would be the Church? I'm not sure if in Morocco, they allow a Muslim male to marry a non-Muslim who does not belong to the Ahl-Al Kitaab (People of the Book). As according to the religion, Muslim men are not allowed to marry someone who isn't Muslim/Christian/Jew. So maybe that's the reason why they request to see proof of your religion. And like a Muslim, that's obtained from your place of worship.

Regards

Are you baptised if so your baptism cert

are you from N.S?

mwstebbins wrote:

Are you from N.S Canada mwstebbins?

HI Cathy I admire you for being honest
There is good and bad in all men and women all over the world. But I dated a Moroccan guy and ended up tremendously hurt as did he. Their culture is so different and as a strong women we ended up constantly fighting.
I looked online at all the ex-Moroccan daters and the hatred they had for the men who had took them for their money or a visa. But wise advice was from a lady who simply said just carry the red flags and put them up if they ask for for money, a visa, help for their family with finance.
I had none of this but as a Non Muslim I found it hard to be in a relationship with a man with so many rituals to undertake. I was a former Christian so understood alot of it but it overwhelmed me.
Joined up with the culture you are going to have a lot to deal with so to anyone considering or involved in a relationship with a Moroccan and they are gorgeous guys, take your time. That is the advice I was given - time - and it proved, like in any relationship we were truly a mile apart.
We were in love and it was a very painful split and never going to work for us.
As for older women and younger men it is the same vice versa - again time proves and the red flag warnings.
Good luck and hey we all think we are different - so did I