Hardware and network engineer

hi brothers and sisters....
i am a 2+years experienced engineer in computer hardware and networking, i want to work in mauritius ....

Hi sakthi ganesan,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Please do not hesitate to ask your questions here.

Thank you

There are more IT engineers already in Mauritius than vacancies so I doubt you would have any luck finding a job unless you have skills which are not abundant in Mauritius, for example, Cisco CCDE, CCIE or CCAr but you would need the experience to go with it which you wouldn't have with only 2 years.  I have previously employed people in a data capture role who had IT-based computer degrees as they couldn't find a job in IT.

Hi Gallois

You are very fortunate to have IT degree holders for data-capturing activities, in that there is and will continue for the coming years an acute shortage of specific profiles in IT.

I am, due to this situation, being compelled to recruit, for two Clients, a batch of Web Designers and Web Developers from overseas.

Cheers

Vayid

Hi Vayid,

The original post was from someone with 2 years experience in hardware and networking and Mauritius has more people with these skills than vacancies.

The other issue of course is the rather odd requirement from Mauritian companies to base their recruitment on qualifications and certificates instead of skills and experience.  All a degree confirms is the ability to remember short-term, nothing more.

Hi Gallois
Though not wanting at all to go into a debate, I consider it a quite hazardous sweeping statement  All a degree confirms is the ability to remember short-term, nothing more.

I would rather say that a degree does not necessarily mean that the holder is better than a non-degree holder, though it surely has an impact on the way the person sees things, and handles things.

For sure, when having to choose between degree-holder + work experience and no-degree holder + experience, most employers will go for the first category.

Anyway, I understand that you are in the field of IT yourself. I would be pleased to have some private exchange with you, if you so wish.

Cheers
Vayid