Offer in Selangour 5500 MYR is it enough for family of 3 members

Hello ,
i got an offer to work at Selangour with net salary 5500 MYR , My family is me,my wife and my baby child (1 year and 5 months) .

i want to know is this salary OK to live in Selangor and save part of it ,after Tax deduction,spouse deduction ,child deduction and any other deduction .

currently i can save about 500 $ monthly in Egypt and i have a Car , rent is OK and health insurance is OK too .
Please give me replay ASAP.

Thanks

Could you please clarify what you mean by spouse and child deductions as there are no such things to my knowledge.

This is what company told me , if i bring my wife and child then this well be as i think annual payment to their resident !

Hi,

In my view, RM 5,500 is not an attractive salary to come down here... still you need to check with your employer on the take home salary and other deductions, i,e. Tax and EPF, etc.

Based on my simple calculations on the major chuck of the fixed expenses as below,
- You may need RM 1,000 ++ for a decent accommodation monthly
- Transportation RM 500 monthly installment bank loan (if you purchase a local car - you still need to wait at least 3 months till complete your probation period) otherwise if you rent a car means allocate around RM 1,000 monthly

Now you can decide whether its a wise decision to accept above salary and come down here......

However I would suggest you to clarify above with your employer.

Good Luck!

Cheers!

It is a terrible salary. if 21 and single and no need to save can live off it yes. With a family ? You need 10k min before school fees if older child.  I am assuming no perks. If they give you accomodation, medical and child care say then ok good. Otherwise stay in Egypt you are paid far more there! you certainly won't save anything with a wife and baby to support. A trio to the docs cost a colleague 2k with flu with one night in hospital. Imagine a very sick child and no medical....

There are no deductions because you have a wife and a child.  No company operates like that.  If the company wants to charge you for their immigration status, that is another matter.  But it does tell you they are paying the minimum level possible as they do not respect family values.

I presume, deduction what he was referring to additional tax exemption for married status.

If I'm not mistaken:
- Individual and dependent relatives - RM 8,000
- Number of Children - under the age of 18 years - RM 1,000

rasaimachan - yes I think you are right.

I believe that this status is not available until a person is classed as tax resident, i.e. worked in Malaysia for 183 days in any calendar year and there is no RM9000 tax-free earnings (self and dependent) until that time as well. 26% tax is payable as a flat rate. My experience has been that the various allowances against income tax  are classed as "limited" - and not applicable to foreigners.

I hope that the employer is basing the net salary mentioned above on the status of being tax nonresident? If not there will be some surprises in store for samymassoud if the deduction is 26% flat rate until 182 days completed in 2015 (although refundable in April 2016). The deduction per child is RM1k per year and dependent (non working) wife is included in the RM9k per year.

Yes.is no enough for KL's Life.

Thank you all for your great help
i see all suggestions to quit this offer !

an other thing do i need to pay 25 % tax for first 6 months and refund later ?!

In a tax period (Jan-Dec) non tax residents are people who have no chance of being in Malaysia for 182 days (because they arrive after about 01/07/2014) and therefore they have 26% tax deducted from their salary and no refunds or allowances (e.g. RM9k per annum and child allowance RM1k).

Because the future is unknown, when tax period Jan-Dec 2015 starts, the person continues to have 26% deducted, until they have been resident in Malaysia for 182 days. At that point, their income tax will revert to the normal rates and allowances. HR should have all this information available to employees.

When a tax return is made for 2015 in about April 2016, HASIL will assess the tax position for 2014 and 2015 and make any refunds applicable, if tax residency was achieved. Refunds will be settled in about June 2016.

All the information about income tax is explained here:

http://www.mia.org.my/new/psp_taxation_ … amp;id=945

The special note is about absences of more than 14 days for leisure activities which for tax non residents mean that they start counting their 182 days from zero again.

i think eygpt is better you can save 500...RM5500...you cant save...virtually its not enough...tks

that is quite a low salary   in fact its v low   on the other hand  Malaysia is a cheap enough country to live in  it depends on whether there i any future for you here  and that the salary would improve  remember that you would pay about 15% tax    try to get a job in UAE or Qatar   much better salary no tax  as it appears you speak Arabic