Renting a property in Mauritius - any advice?

Hi all,

I've just accepted a job offer to work in Mauritius, and I'll be moving out with my partner this September.

We plan to rent a property in the west coast area, and have our eye on Tamarin in particular, but we'd just like to know if there are any things we should be aware of such as hidden costs, dodgy estate agents etc.?

We've been looking at properties on the lexexpress.com website, and they seem very good value for money compared to what we would normally expect to get in the UK, but I would just like to confirm that we're not missing something.

Any help you can give us will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Rents are falling in the West noticeably in 2014 versus 2013.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 1 months deposit (most will ask for 2 months deposit), if you go through an agent, you have to pay an additional one months rent as the agents fee.

If you know people here already by chance then see if they can keep you in the loop, lots of property negotiations don't involve an agent.

Make sure any pool maintenance, garden maintenance or syndic fees are inclusive in the monthly rental amount.

Lots of freestanding houses in the west, there are also communities such as La Plantation Marguery, Mont Calme, Tamarina, La Ranch, but you'll see those when you get to the West.

Avoid Flic en Flac; nice to visit, not to live.

Hope I could help, let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks for the quick reply Gronk, and for the good advice.

I had planned on avoiding Flic en Flac when I read that it was the second largest tourist beach on the island, but I suppose there won't be anywhere on the west coast where we won't encounter tourists at some point. Still, the less the better, and Tamarin, even though it is a tourist attraction, appears like a good potential choice.

Still, I have to say that I (though not my wife) am a little wary of renting a place with a swimming pool. It seems so extravagant, and so unlike the life that we lead here, but if the maintenance is included in the rent and if it doesn't cost that much extra to have it what the hell! I assume it gets pretty hot come mid-summer, and that a pool will come in handy on those lazy (and hazy) days.

Anyway, I will take your advice and look beyond the agents when we arrive. My employer will put us up in a hotel for the first month so we should be able to get a feel for the place before we commit to a contract.

Thanks again!

Best

A place with a pool isn't seen as extravagant here, it's seen as practical :)

Summer months you'll be very happy you have a pool, our first summer here it was our salvation, because sometimes going to the beach in the spring/summer it just too much hard work. The humidity here is extreme November to January (for us anyway being more used to dry heat).

There's a pool shop is Cascavelle (not far from tamarin) that will come and clean your pool for about rs2,000 a month if it's not included in the rent.

Hi Bennet,

My brother occasionally rents out his appartment on short term or long term basis. It is located in Trou aux Biches which is 20 mins Northbound of the city. Its neat/secure/well located and I can e-mail you pics of same if you are interested.

Otherwise, the west is not so advisable - have a look in the North but not too close to Grand Baie unless you like to be near the bars/pubs/clubs. Other principal consideration is - where is the location of your work?

All the best

Treeyam

Obviously work location is important, but any reasons why "the west is not so advisable"?

the environment down the west (being f e flac) is not so much so as attractive and clean as the north. end of the day, this is a subjective matter. only my view, albeit the point of view of a local. you may have a better perspective of flic e flac.

I think the discussion point with Black river, tamarin and the surrounding areas, not Flic en Flac, but thanks.

i  did concur with your point regarding flic en flac. otherwise, tamarin is indeed a nice place. all the best