Increased ATM charges

I've been using Agri bank ATM's down here in Can Tho for quite awhile now because the limit per withdrawal is 3mil VND Vs  while the other ATM's are still at 2mil VND per. In the past the charge has been about $1.43 for each and my bank hits me for a flat $5.00 each time. Just checked my online statement and Agri bank has upped it to $4.43 per withdrawal. Not sure if the other banks have increased theirs. That is a huge increase.

Get used to it, amigo.  Remember how much they jacked up the gas prices a couple of years ago?  The price of that simple cup of coffee, too?

I don't see it getting any better, anytime soon.

That's why I stopped using ATM's. Just have my money sent from the States every couple of months.

Yup! the ATMs are changed!

I used to withdraw money from ANZ bank's and Citibank ATMs with the amount of 10 million VND ($500) and got charged 40,000 ($2) each time.

I just found out I can't no longer withdraw 10 mil each time. I can now withdraw only 4 mil ($200) and am charged still 40,000 ($2). Guess who wants to get richer? :rolleyes:

Although, there's still one Citibank ATM in district 2 that allows me to withdraw 10 mil each time! I'm happy enough but maybe my little short happy time will be over soon! :(

When did ANZ increase the charge. I just withdrew last Friday and it had not changed. Thanks for the heads up though. Guess it is time to start doing xfres from my stateside bank as well.

I just returned from ANZ on 11/29/13 and was still able to withdraw 10M and was still charged 40K VND.

which ANZ is that? the one in district 2?

Maybe one of the reasons is that ANZ in Australia only made between $5-$6 Billion profit this year and they need a top up from Viet Nam to help them out...............Poor Multi-Nationals.
You can see their problem can't you.

post removed

Thank you!

I believe it has been changed a bit! I used to draw money at ANZ's ATM in Saigon center, near Rex Hotel with the amount of 10 mil. Now it says clearly on the screen that "the maximum amount is 4,000,000". The charge still the same, 40,000 VND each time.

I sure you are correct. I'm not here to argue, only to tell you they allow me to withdraw 10m VND for the same 40k VND fee. I doubt I am getting special treatment as the screen clearly states this. Perhaps you could go over to the ANZ I use and test my theory.

bta87 and Ngan:
You're both correct. Banks change the withdrawal amount by ATM location based on the average amounts withdrawn over time. If one has a 10M limit, but there are very few withdrawals of that amount, the maximum limit will be lowered. The ANZ ATM I use in Phu My Hung still has a 10M limit with 40,000 fee.

SM,
  Thanks. The man of reason comes through again. I know I have seen the amount move about, both in this country and in others. Never could attest to why that is. It had seemed to me that if they got low on money and then would reduce the amount. As I have gone back to the same ATM the next day and received the larger amount. This happened to me a lot when I lived in Mexico. For me I'm just thankful I can still get 10m VND. Maybe I should not advertise that fact so much. Thanks again.

In Nha Trang I can only get $100 from ATM which charge me $2, my bank then charge me $5 per withdraw, ouch! Now, I send myself $1000 through Western Union via online banking, cost me $22. Still looking for cheaper ways

Awayland,
   When I lived in NT I used ViatagBank and could get more than that. Maybe that too has changed. This was this past Spring. You might want to check out a bank wire transfer from your bank back home. I found it to be the way to go in NT. Here in HCM it is a bit different as we can withdraw more then you at the moment. If you PM me I can probably give you directions to their ATM in NT.

I just went to ANZ recently and it looks like they changed it so maximum withdrawal at a time is now only 5 million per transaction with a 40k vnd fee when about a month and 1/2 ago I could take out 10 million at a time for the same fee. I'm guessing they're trying to make money off of fees since we now have to do multiple transactions if you want more than 5 million. Anyone else see this?

Nothing has changed with my account (US) limit and any alternative bank suggestions are appreciated to avoid fees and standing there forever to withdrawal multiple times. A couple a years ago I was able to wd 20 million Techombank though they're now like most banks where it's 2 million max per transaction the last time I tried.  I also tried Citibank recently which had a max of 8 million per transaction which is better than 5 mil, but not great if you need to do multiple transactions.  Any other bank ATM suggestions? 

Thanks in advance

Get someone to Western Union you that way you dont get raped

lance96 wrote:

I just went to ANZ recently and it looks like they changed it so maximum withdrawal at a time is now only 5 million per transaction with a 40k vnd fee when about a month and 1/2 ago I could take out 10 million at a time for the same fee. I'm guessing they're trying to make money off of fees since we now have to do multiple transactions if you want more than 5 million. Anyone else see this?

Nothing has changed with my account (US) limit and any alternative bank suggestions are appreciated to avoid fees and standing there forever to withdrawal multiple times. A couple a years ago I was able to wd 20 million Techombank though they're now like most banks where it's 2 million max per transaction the last time I tried.  I also tried Citibank recently which had a max of 8 million per transaction which is better than 5 mil, but not great if you need to do multiple transactions.  Any other bank ATM suggestions? 

Thanks in advance

If you have a Wells Fargo account in the States you can transfer USD to VietinBank or Vietcombank for a very small fee. That has been the cheapest way I have found so far. ATM fees for foreign debit cards can really mount up.

lance96 wrote:

I just went to ANZ recently and it looks like they changed it so maximum withdrawal at a time is now only 5 million per transaction with a 40k vnd fee when about a month and 1/2 ago I could take out 10 million at a time for the same fee.

Which ANZ ATM do you use? If you read this entire thread you'll see that I and others have said the amounts of withdrawal vary by ATM location. It's possible that only the ATM you're using has changed, and you may still be able to get 10 million at another ANZ ATM location.  However, given that most all banks in Vietnam lowered their ATM limits a few months back, I would not be surprised if ANZ has finally followed suit.

@SaigonMonkey, Yeah it could have to do with the location.  I was previously withdrawing at ANZ on Pham Ngoc Thach, Dist 3 over the past year and no problems taking out 10 mil, then more recently (about a month and half ago) near Big C in Hanoi for the same 10 mil amount, but now that place went down so maybe I'll try another branch. 

@Parymd, wire transfer is a good idea, I had called WF a while back and will need to set this up next time I'm back in the States since the first transaction needs a signature in person.  This would be better over the long run and in the meantime I can use ATM's plus transfer money to a family member in the U.S. to wire to me here which isn't the best but beats withdrawing over and over.

Thanks for the replies and do post if you find an ATM that allows over 8 mil ..or maybe not since we'll all raid it and it'll become the next bank that only allows 2 mil  :|

I know where you live!

OK guys and gals,  let's revisit this thread and share info about where the ATMs with the highest withdrawal limits are in HCMC.  The one I've been using, an ANZ in Phu My Hung, has dropped its limit from 10 mill to 5 mill.  Is there an ATM anywhere in HCMC that allows higher than 5 mill withdrawals?

Hi Khanh.....do you know if there is a CitiBank in Q1 where I can go INSIDE the bank to withdraw money?  I have a CitiBank account here in the US and they say that I can move my money from the US to the VN (CiiBank) free of charge.  I don't like to withdraw money at an ATM machine.   Rather go inside the bank to do all my transaction.

Let me know the address of the CitiBank with a walkin lobby so I can withdraw my money from a REAL teller.

Budman,
  I use DongaBank up here and can get 5m still for 20k.

Hi thuy4tien!

You can go to Sunwah tower. Citibank is on the right side of the building.

Address: 115 Nguyen Hue Street, District 1.
Working time: 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM

Phone: (84 8) 3824 2118
CitiPhone: (84 8) 3521 1111.