Ramadan Rules

My wife and daughter are coming over and I am not sure how Bahrain deals with Ramadan.
What happens to the shops, bars and restaurants during this time?
I am aware of the procedures in Saudi and UAE, but I have not experienced Ramadan in Bahrain.

aliman4 wrote:

Bahrain as I know open country. no rules , bars and resturents full day open

Are you really living in Bahrain?

no food or drink served during daytime hours.....most places open in the evening for ifta...no bars open or music during ramadan

Omeath wrote:

My wife and daughter are coming over and I am not sure how Bahrain deals with Ramadan.
What happens to the shops, bars and restaurants during this time?
I am aware of the procedures in Saudi and UAE, but I have not experienced Ramadan in Bahrain.

During Ramadan;
-You are not allowed to eat or drink outside (public areas) during fasting time, after iftar (sunset) you can,
-Working hours are shorter than other months,
-All restaurants, cafes etc. are accepting guests around iftar (sunset), till end of sahoor (sunrise)
-You can buy food from supermarkets or hypermarkets (daytime), but you are not allowed to eat or drink in public areas during fasting time,
-No alcohol sales allowed till Eid (for 30 days starting from midnight-today),
-Shops and shopping malls are open, but their timings may be different than other 11 months,
-If you have alcohol in your home, you may consume at home, not in public areas,

If you want more information, please don't hesitate to pm me or post here.

I hope you and your family will enjoy your time in Bahrain during Ramadan.

ihsanozbakir wrote:

During Ramadan;
-You are not allowed to eat or drink outside (public areas) during fasting time, after iftar (sunset) you can,
-Working hours are shorter than other months,
-All restaurants, cafes etc. are accepting guests around iftar (sunset), till end of sahoor (sunrise)
-You can buy food from supermarkets or hypermarkets (daytime), but you are not allowed to eat or drink in public areas during fasting time,
-No alcohol sales allowed till Eid (for 30 days starting from midnight-today),
-Shops and shopping malls are open, but their timings may be different than other 11 months,
-If you have alcohol in your home, you may consume at home, not in public areas,

If you want more information, please don't hesitate to pm me or post here.

I hope you and your family will enjoy your time in Bahrain during Ramadan.

That's what I call clear :D
I would just add that what goes for eating and drinking also goes for smoking which is strictly prohibited in public from sunrise to sunset.

Take the opportunity of your family visiting to take them to one of the many Iftar buffet offered by the hotels and restaurants. There is a great atmosphere and nice food. You can find one whatever your budget is.

Enjoy

Olivier

Also you can't chew gum in public during daylight hours. All places that sell alcohol closed last Thursday. Some expat clubs open as normal and put a tent up for the smokers (Dilmun Club) The Rugby club is closed during the day but open every evening. I'm not sure about the British Club. The Yacht club is open normal hours too. You do need to be a member of one of the clubs to access them though.

All restaurants, coffee shops, take away place etc will all be closed during the day but will probably put special offers on for the evening.

Remember to cover up, not show too much skin and be respectful of our hosts during this month.

I found this link quite helpful for Ramadan information, including opening hours of various places!
http://mumsinbahrain.net/Ramadan.html

I hope it is of assistance to you too!

TTFN
S

If you don't believe you are not allowed to eat smoke drink chew in public, please go ahead. Particularly do it in front of a police car. Then let us know how you get on.

Just to let you know, the British club is open and selling food and drink during Ramadan.

I also saw what appeared to be a Muslim teenager walking around a supermarket eating the contents of her trolley.

Do they let non-members into the British Club nowadays?

Smooch303 wrote:

Just to let you know, the British club is open and selling food and drink during Ramadan.

I also saw what appeared to be a Muslim teenager walking around a supermarket eating the contents of her trolley.

Doesn't mean it's not illegal and there are certain circumstances in which females are allowed to eat during Ramadan.

brightonguy wrote:

I think it's limited access during Ramadan to non-members.

Scottrace: what are the certain circumstances? Not that i would eat, drink, smoke, chew gum or anything anyway. I'm respectful  ;)

Smooch303 wrote:
brightonguy wrote:

Scottrace: what are the certain circumstances? Not that i would eat, drink, smoke, chew gum or anything anyway. I'm respectful  ;)

I think all the expat clubs allow their members in during Ramadan but certainly at the one we are members of you are still not allowed to eat, drink or smoke outside during daylight hours but you can indoors (or in the smoking tent).

Pregnancy and that other female time of the month as far as I understand it means you don't fast.  Think I would rather fast than someone think I am pregnant or have to explain that the other reason to the police ;)

scottrace wrote:
Smooch303 wrote:
brightonguy wrote:

I think all the expat clubs allow their members in during Ramadan but certainly at the one we are members of you are still not allowed to eat, drink or smoke outside during daylight hours but you can indoors (or in the smoking tent).

Pregnancy and that other female time of the month as far as I understand it means you don't fast.  Think I would rather fast than someone think I am pregnant or have to explain that the other reason to the police ;)

I couldn't quite imagine having to eat outside in this heat anyway.....phew!!

Looks like I have a get out of jail free card then but I'm still respectful to the culture and eating and drinking in my home only  :D

Cor there really are silly comments on this forum today and I'm glad our regular members corrected things. Lots were arrested and imprisoned for chewing gum and drinking water during daylight hours last year. Heavy fines were also given.

Expat club rules are clear:

Members allowed anytime
Reciprocal members allowed anytime
Signing in of a guest only after Iftar

Eating and drinking only allowed inside the restaurants, smoking only in the tent if it has been provided.

If you are new to the forum, you quickly get to know the people who haven't got a clue and who will give you incorrect information. Please ignore them or question them. (Ignore is probably better) I'm sure our Muslim members (of whom there are many) will put the situation straight.

Looking forward to seeing more arrests on the front page of the GDN

For those who want to smoke indoors, Country Club restaurant and sports bar allow non-member expats in (but no locals or Muslims) and they both allow smoking indoors.

Woman charged for smoking during Ramadan - GDN 09/07/14

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsDeta … yid=380770

Can non members get in the country club before Iftar as my husband has got a guest from uk and would like to take him out for a meal and a drink before he goes to the airport

Hello there Palm grove,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Well this thread is quite an old one. According to

Josnuggles wrote:

Expat club rules are clear:

Members allowed anytime
Reciprocal members allowed anytime
Signing in of a guest only after Iftar

Eating and drinking only allowed inside the restaurants, smoking only in the tent if it has been provided.

However, i won't be able to tell you whether the rules have changed since. Better you create a new topic on the Bahrain forum so as to be up-to-date.

Bhavna