Have some questions to ask

My wife has accepted a position with Amazon in Gourock.

I am told that Glasgow is an hour away.

I am told that Greenock is 15 minutes away and beautifully situated on the lovely River Clyde.

I am also told that Greenock is a hotbed of dangerous criminal activity, and it is not likely that strangers will last the night in that wicked, wicked town.

Compared to what? I need to reach out to some expats for help. Are we talking Detroit, MI or Sugar Land, TX?

Hi dalelinn,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

In order to bring more light to your questions, i created a new thread with your post on the Scotland forum.

Thank you and have a nice day,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi

I live a few miles away from Greenock. The main industry in Greenock was shipbuilding and it's demise has left the town a bit run down looking. Dangerous ? Compared to the USA there are no problems.
I think you will prefer gourock and there are plenty of small villages along the coast which are really nice. Sailing is a big activity in this part of the world.
Glasgow is a nice city but like any big cities you need to keep your wits about you. Good active arts and music scene in glasgow.
Want to know anything else ,just ask

Generally speaking, you're going to be a lot safer at 10:00 PM about anywhere in Scotland than you would be a 1/2 block off of Beale or Bourbon St at Noon in the States.  With that said, I can tell you that Glasgow is a little 'rougher' than Edinburgh, but it's more hooliganism than anything else. 

As is true about anywhere these days, there's quite a lot of drug use in certain areas, but you typically don't see too much evidence of it on the street. (Although, I was a bit shocked to see some 'foolio' snorting coke in plain sight on the train to Stirling in December).

All in all, Scotland is an awesome place full of great people and perhaps best of all, you won't get stuck listening to 'Country' music- HaHa!

I think you'll enjoy your time there...

JohnMarc