Running group in the north? Recommendations for safe places to run?

I am a keen runner but not having much luck so far with a) the traffic b) the dogs c) the unpleasant harassment that female runners seem to have to put up with when running alone, so I'm looking to find some running buddies in the North (I'm in Pereybere). I do know there are other running clubs out there, but many seem to involve traveling across the island every weekend, whereas I wouldn't mind being able to run a bit closer to home.

Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions as to good places to run in the North that are safe (in terms of traffic and whatever other hazards?). I don't mind driving to a nice peaceful running spot, if such a place exists?

If anyone wanted to start a regular running group, I would be looking to start off at about 7-8km runs, and if all goes well, build up to the half marathon in July.

Mont Choisy beach is a descent place.

The best place to run is in Sodnac, nature park. Secured with SMF guards for security.
Only thing, its a bit far from the north.

i am keen to run, am in the north, and join u, but my issue is that am not a regular runner and get tired in just 10 mins run... running in competitions is impossible... running just for fun and health is ok for me... let know if i can join...

So did you have any luck in finding a decent place in the North to find a run? I'm also finding myself in the same situation and would like to know if you had any luck.

Cheers

Imran

Hello all, I'd also be interested in a regular run in the north; weekend would be best. Nowhere ideal springs to mind but the North East might be quieter. I'm away for a few weeks but will have a scout around after that.

Wandlewed

I'm often running in the North (around Pereybere) however these runs normally venture onto the main roads which are full of hazards. There are some nice quiet back roads and dirt tracks (some of which I have managed to get lost on) I am usually running alone in the early mornings but would be interested in running with a group in safe area. Has anyone run at the forest just after the Vale? I am hesitant to run there alone, but as a group this could be a good location away from the roads.

There are the Time Trials every Tuesday at Mont Choisy Shopping Promenade.  Registration 5-5.30 for a 5.30pm start, 5k or 8k. Same route each time but there are lots of people all standards that do it.

could anyone please let me know about this half marathon in July ? I would be keen to do that....thanks in advnace !!

Hello, I found this very interesting but old thread while searching for "where to run in the north of Mauritius".
I agree 100% with the original request, even if I "run" with my husband, the moment we split (he's much faster than me and doesn't need walking breaks) as a girl I find myself mildly harassed *all* the time. During weekends the beach in Trou aux Biches is literally too crowded to actually make a real run and for mid-of-the-week runs, after working hours it gets dark so early it's difficult and not safe to run on roads (no sidewalks, why??).
We've also been running in the Daruty forest a couple of times but locals told us to pay attention to thieves which I've seen the last time we went (haven't been back since).
So far, no actual place has been ideal. Any other ideas? For example, are stadiums open for track running?

And to reply to Anjuraj, this year the marathong will be 19 July 2015
http://www.marathonrunnersdiary.com/rac … rathon.php