First time visit ti bogota

hello everyone,  i am coming to Bogota for a few weeks at the end of April.  Any info regarding areas to visit and areas to avoid would be great.  i am planning more visits in order to find the right area to settle down in.

Hi Rodney.
I am Colombian and I can give you advice about my country, so feel free to ask.
I wonder if by now you are already in Bogota? as you said you will be going at the end of April. Anyway I can tell you...
Try to avoid being in the south of the city that has very rough areas and not so safe for a foreigner (and also you don't have anything to see or visit there).
Take care when you use your mobile phone, try to avoid using it on the street, even in good areas of Bogota you can easily lose it (thieves on bikes that just take it from your hands!!) so better not to take the risk. also take care when you using taxis it is better that you call them instead of taking them on the road.
Where are you going to stay? If you as many young foreigners decide to stay in a hostel in the city center (candelaria, macarena areas) those areas are ok but take care at night.
If you like good food, you must try restaurants around the G Zone (yes that's the name!!) or around the Parque de la 93 or T Zone, although they are a bit expensive you will find good food.
If you are now in Colombia you must go to the "festival iberoamenicano de teatro" The biggest and most important Theatre Festival in Latin America.

Colombia is an amazing country. I have a Godson there. My advice to you is avoid the stereotypes, stick to populated and travel the roads outside the city with those you trust. It does not take much to become a friend with a Colombian. They are in my opinion the most hospitable people in the world. That said, cross them or use them and you will find yourself in a place you do not want to be. Good luck!

Hi Rodney!

It is so nice you are coming to Bogota... it is a very cool city and I know you will love it.

Regarding things to watch out, I agree with Jicane,  you have to remember this is a big city and as any big city around the world, you have to be careful with small things, cameras and cellphones on the street, etc... apart of it, I would still suggest that you stay better in the north of the city, around the T-zone or 93 park. There are more things to do at night, and anyway, turistic things you can always go by taxi or so. But in those areas there are great hotels, restaurants, shopping centers, parks and so on that you can also enjoy at night.
I actually live close to that are and cant get tired of visiting new places everytime.

About other things to do while you are here, In Bogota you sould definitely go to the candelaria neighborhood (old town- centro), and while being there visit the botero museum, and try obleas (a very typical desert with milk caramel)... visit as well Monserrate, which is a nice vantage point and has a small flee market and old church; also try to visit the restaurant Andres Carne de Res in Chia (a town close to Bogotá), it is just amazing and you will have a great experience. As mentioned G-zone, T-zone and 93 park have great restaurants and bars.
Outside of Bogotá but quite close, there are also amazing things to see such as the Salt Catedral, and a town called Villa de Leyva (cuttest colonial town ever).

Are you coming with family? friends? some things to visit and see depend on the people who travel :)

Any questions or comments, do not hesitate to let me know... and hope you have a great time in Bogota!!!