Anybody in Ireland? And not just Dublin?

im from ireland and dublin is a [Moderated: No offensive language]......... only people who like dublin is people from dublin

:)

I'm so sorry but I cannot agree with all those who say they don't like it here and that the Irish are unfrendly.
I moved here 18months ago and bought our house without a hitch, we have never met two prices, one for Irish and one for forigners, we have found the Irish to be very frendly especially if you try to intregrate and don't refer to home because if you have moved here then here is home.
People often said to us before we moved "what if you don't like it?" we replied that we would sell up,move back to England and spend our money on holidays.
We have no intention of moving yet.

Hi all.. interesting post! My wife and I have been living in the south of England for 10 years and I got a chance to relocate with my company to Ireland. Well I jumped at the opportunity and experience a new country and culture. We found a beautiful country house in a village called Roundwood (Co. Wicklow) and we absolutely love it here. I have made many friends at work and people we have met outside of work are so far (touch wood) been very friendly, although to be fair we have not tried to make any real friends yet.

We would be very interested in meeting any couples/families living in and around Wicklow/South Dublin, as we have only been here a few weeks now. We did live in Donnybrook, Dublin for a couple of weeks, but we are not city people so we headed out into the country!

Well today they are celebrating Freedom day in Dublin (Donnybrook) so we are off to enjoy a boerie roll and maybe we'll see some of you there :)

Keep smiling peeps, you obviously all left SA for a good reason, hopefully you have solved those problems, don't replace them with another countries issues or you'll never find a new home!

Jason

I must admit to taking some comfort in the posts that are on here. 

I'm from Dublin originally, and now I live in London.  I hated Dublin and lived there until I was 37.  If you think that it's a difficult city to connect with, please don't think that it's because you are from overseas.  Irish people can be very cruel to each other and the image of the Irish as a laidback, friendly, inclusive bunch is misleading. 

People in Dublin are either aloof and obsessed with their image on the one hand, or loud, boorish and outspoken on the other.  Either way, they are not interested in listening to or connecting with others.  Their own individual selves provide an endless source of fascination. 

They make decisions quickly and early on about who is going to be in their social circle and if you don't make the cut there is no changing their minds.  It is viciously competitive and not easy to make friends.

On the other hand I'm now in London and it's so refreshing to be in a city where that pretentious nonsense is minimal.

I'm totally with Nicenin on this, I'm Irish born and bred, originally from the west coast but also lived in Dublin for 8 years. I never fitted in to Ireland, I hated the mentality, the laziness, the lack of civility, the feeling of amateurism from all ‘professional' services, the general sloppiness of people both in attitude and appearance and the acceptance that any old thing would do. That's what got me most – that any old thing would do and you were a freak if you dared to speak up or complain. I especially hated Dublin, there was nothing to do there except go to a pub, nobody was ever interested in doing anything else. It was dirty and just had an overall bad feeling. Dublin thinks it's a city but it feel like an amateur stab at a city (yes it's that amateur word again). So I left and moved to London a few years ago.

I love London! I feel like I fit in here, I have friends of all sorts of different nationalities, there's a huge variety of things to do, different cultures to try out, brilliant food and a much bigger and better outlook. It's something that I feel proud to be part of. It kills me though as I love my Irish family and I love the physical country of Ireland but I know I could never live there again as I would just explode with rage and have to go on permanant seditives if I had to deal with Irish society/politics/government/anything else again

Hi all,

I've ended up on this forum because I've googled "I hate Dublin" today. It was good to see some of your comments here and that I'm not alone in my thinking.

I relocated to Dublin from galway 2 years ago. I liked living in Galway, but because of the line of job I'm in (filmmaking) I had to relocate to Dublin. It was okay at the beginning and I tired hard to fit in here, but I think I had enough. I feel like this city is dwarfing me with it's limited culture (save for pub culture), narrow-minded people and a depressing life-style in general. Bad weather doesn't help either.

I didn't want to move and start from the beginning in a new place again, but I've come to a conclusion that I'm not going to miss out on much and it's worth checking out some other places (thinking of London at the moment) as I'm still young.

I m in Dublin n I like it here.

I am in dublin and I just despise it. I am looking forward to move as i am close to depression. I need to see the sun and have real firends. I need to do things that here I cannot do...I  am really fed up of this place

I feel in a prison in Dublin, nothing works properly. I am at home for the weekend and I cant even relax as the allarms start ringing for days and nobody cares to turn it off...Its too noisy and this give me breakdowns...People are unpolite and totally unfirndly...the food is disgusting...the weather depressive...my apartment a disaster..full of issues and everywhere I go in Dublin is low quality...I feel like I live in a third world country in Europe...I wish but i cant see positive aspects for this place...

Jono_dog wrote:

Absolutely right lulu - Dublin SUCKS. I'm an Australian from Sydney and my partner and I came here to make some money to keep traveling (been traveling for 20 months now) - WHAT A MISTAKE. We have been here for 4 months now and we have found Dublin to be the biggest rip-off we have ever known. I don't know why or how people put up with the cost of living in the most unexciting place I have ever been to. The food is absolute rubbish too. We ate at a trendy Asian restaurant in town the other night and before we knew it we had spent 90€ !!!! on a meal that would have cost around A$40 (24€) and it was nothing special. Now I know why there are so many pubs in this town.... there's nothing else to do except drink yourself stupid WOW what fun!!

I think I'm going to have to move back to France or Portugal where the food is good, the people have depth, the sun shines and the culture is not all about drinking, talking about the weather and who died last week.

I am a Portuguese living in Dublin for close to 7 years now. I think you will like it very much in Portugal! No money, lots of criminality, government keeps robbing people and not recognizing for our efforts to develop the country and they constantly rip off tourists!

Good luck! :-)

Love Ireland btw... I feel that a lot of people that didn't adapt in this country just didn't really try harder or due to negative experiences ended up hating the country. Dublin is a great city to travel from (to other countries all over the world) and I have found the Irish to be a great Craic! The weather is shit... true... the life is expensive... also true... but you do earn a lot more money than anywhere else and get recognized for what you do instead of being forced to work overtime just because...

Thats my point of view, anyway! :-)

Hi Lulu - you still in Ireland or back in France?  Margaret

well i am irish,.i do find  that irish people have not travelled too well or understand or want to understand other cultures too much,.even when i travel for work about irelad i am  viewed with suspicoun   in strange  towns,
ireland is so much about alkol,.if u go to pubs and smile a lot you wil be probably better welcomed,.
to day i met a guy who hated africans other days i met peopel who hate eastern europe people,.i guess it depends on the education ever of who you meet as well,.,.its ot all sunshine easy liveing in ireland,.,.cheers mike

deadlysurfer wrote:
Jono_dog wrote:

Absolutely right lulu - Dublin SUCKS. I'm an Australian from Sydney and my partner and I came here to make some money to keep traveling (been traveling for 20 months now) - WHAT A MISTAKE. We have been here for 4 months now and we have found Dublin to be the biggest rip-off we have ever known. I don't know why or how people put up with the cost of living in the most unexciting place I have ever been to. The food is absolute rubbish too. We ate at a trendy Asian restaurant in town the other night and before we knew it we had spent 90€ !!!! on a meal that would have cost around A$40 (24€) and it was nothing special. Now I know why there are so many pubs in this town.... there's nothing else to do except drink yourself stupid WOW what fun!!

I think I'm going to have to move back to France or Portugal where the food is good, the people have depth, the sun shines and the culture is not all about drinking, talking about the weather and who died last week.

I am a Portuguese living in Dublin for close to 7 years now. I think you will like it very much in Portugal! No money, lots of criminality, government keeps robbing people and not recognizing for our efforts to develop the country and they constantly rip off tourists!

Good luck! :-)

Love Ireland btw... I feel that a lot of people that didn't adapt in this country just didn't really try harder or due to negative experiences ended up hating the country. Dublin is a great city to travel from (to other countries all over the world) and I have found the Irish to be a great Craic! The weather is shit... true... the life is expensive... also true... but you do earn a lot more money than anywhere else and get recognized for what you do instead of being forced to work overtime just because...

Thats my point of view, anyway! :-)

,..,ey i agree with the OZ couple , I spend big money every day  and the customer liek me is treated liek CRAP,.FRINEDLY GENUINE SERVICE IS RARE IN IRELAND..//

hi lulu im in belfast and been lonely for 13 yrs...also no friends
will chat if u want
xxx

awww me to here 13 yrs and can not like it will chat if u want
xxx

Hi xcynx,

as this discussion dates back to 2006, I invite you to create a new topic on the Ireland Forum.
This might help to get in touch with other members.

All the best,

Francesca

I have two months in Ireland. Moved here from Malta with my wife and my daughter. Kinda alone here, not that easy to make friends.
If you are in Sligo, and you have time for a cup of tea, just give us a sign. I have also created a group on Facebook - Sligo meetups Maybe we can create a group of expats from Sligo and meet up...
Wish you all the best

Hi! How awfull! I was thinking to go to ireland to study english, but when i read all these posts i was scare.... Is ireland só awfull??? What is your opinion about going study and find a Job in ireland? Living in ireland is that bad?

Sorry for my english....but i need classes  :-)

This is the longest thread with posts from forummers with no picture attached to their profile ...  :o

Hmmm, what bad weather in Ireland does to expats ...  :mad:

well how about visiting a few places in ireland with me over the summer lulu
martin

Hiya lulu and everyone else looking to make new friends. I have recently moved from the uk to ireland but im originally from germany. 
I really need to make some friends (no other relationships im happily married!) its so lonely here.
I live in co leitrim anyone else new in leitrim or surrounding areas looking for new friends please reply!

Hi miamymia I live in co Leitrim - Kinlough area - and if you are anywhere near here perhaps we can have a coffee together - we can also speak german - ich bin aus oesterreich - and have lived in London for a long time. My husband is from Sligo and we spend quite a lot of time there too.

Emsi hallo! :)
I would love to meet up for coffee!  Im near mohill so not sure how far away it is from the kinlough area but I have a car. Are you on facebook?  Maybe we can link up there too?
Schön Dich kennenzulernen :)

Mia

Hallo Mia, thanks for the reply. Mohill is rather a long way away for a coffee, but say hallo to me on facebook : Annemarie Sudi Punkti Beglane. We can take it from there.
Liebe Gruesse
Annemarie