Which would be better???

I'm retiring in two years and planning to move to CR...Which is better, San Jose area or San Isidro del General???

I really believe you need to experience it for yourself.  Both are quite different and offer up lifestyles and climate that may be suitable for one person and not another.  You would only be getting one person's opinion.  When we bought our property we travelled all throughout the country with the exception of the Caribbean coast and the Nicoya peninsula (neither of these areas appealed to us).  Where we ended up buying would not be for everyone but it sure is right for us!!!

MajorWoody wrote:

I'm retiring in two years and planning to move to CR...Which is better, San Jose area or San Isidro del General???

I totally agree with Terry.  Remember, you're "retiring."  You can come down, take your time, RENT a place in the middle of the country and just explore to find what YOU like best.

I've said it before, there are those that like and enjoy Jaco as an example.  But for me, it it too touristy and hot.  Same thing as to San Jose.  Many people like the San Jose/Escazu area.  For me, they're a nice places to visit, but.... 

Take your time and fine what's best for you.

- Dave

As to those 2 places specifically:
San Isidro is a farm town. I imagine it's grown quite a bit from when I used to spend time there, 18 years ago, but I also imagine it's not that different in that it's a slower paced town, not a lot of traffic, not a lot to do, yet very tranquil for a town of its size. Just a nice quiet traditional Costa Rica town whose economy is largely based on the farms around it.

San Jose on the other hand is a big city like any big city that has a lot of traffic, smog and people. The surrounding areas are nicer, less "big city-ish" for sure, but still have a "city" feel to them.

I would point out also that - without having statistics to quote from - San Jose' and surrounding areas surely have more crime than San Isidro.

Personally I much prefer San Isidro, and even moreso the areas surrounding it. It's only 45 min or so from the beach and some nice beaches just a little further out.

Originally I wanted to live in an area between San Isidro and the beach but a) the property values went sky high out that way; b) it's 3 hours from San Jose on a very windy and somewhat dangerous highway; and c) it rains a lot more than some other areas. I chose San Ramon because it's closer to San Jose' for medical care and things, the airport is closer, and it's a nice medium sized town with a kind of small town atmosphere and also has a hospital and doctors and such.

Like the other posts said, though, you just have to go and figure out what YOU like, as everyone is different. Some people prefer to live near San Jose' because there's a lot to do, more people to meet and so on. I am one of the few people who LIKE visiting San Jose' - I think it's fun and interesting. But I'd say the majority of expats hate it. And I wouldn't want to LIVE there or too near it.