Life Partner Permit Clarification

Hello everyone!

I know that there are lots of forums already open about the Life Partner Permit, but I have a couple of specific questions that answers seem to go back and forth on. I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out?

I am a Canadian, living in South Africa on a one year volunteer visa. My partner is South African, and we want to apply for the LPP visa so that I can stay when my current one expires.

I can't live with my partner full time, because my current volunteer visa is attached to another town. However, I can spend one of every four weeks living with her. Would this be enough, along with a lease from the reserve manager (she lives and works on a game reserve) for one year after the visa is approved?

And for the letters from friends and family... do we need certified copies of their IDs? This could prove a bit difficult, as we both live in the middle of nowhere and getting these from others who also live in the middle of nowhere could be an issue.

Will they need the original of my partner's ID book, or will a copy suffice? Must it be certified?

Thank you so much!

I think that you'll find as in almost every country in the world that permits "stable union" visas, you are required to prove at least one year of constant cohabitation, as a couple. Part-time just won't do, sorry to say.

Cheers,
William James Woodward

wjwoodward wrote:

I think that you'll find as in almost every country in the world that permits "stable union" visas, you are required to prove at least one year of constant cohabitation, as a couple. Part-time just won't do, sorry to say.

Cheers,
William James Woodward

I understand. However, it is stated on Home Affairs that there is no specific time frame for cohabitation for this particular Life Partner Permit. Since there is no specified time or time requirement, I was hoping that would provide a bit of leeway for us.

Also wondering if anyone has an example of a letter from parents, stating the validity of the relationship?

Hi napalmbright,

I received my life partner permit eventhough we had not lived together permanently before (only a few months at a time), so I think you are correct in thinking that there is no time-frame for the cohabitation requirements. However, to sign a cohabitation agreement together in order to get the LPP, you need to show (for instance through a rental/lease agreement), that you are/will be residing at the same address. Also, the embassy required a certified copy of the partner's SA ID as well as his birth certificate. I only added in signed letters written by our parents, I didn't add in copies of their ID.
Hope this helps a bit!

Lindsey.dV wrote:

Hi napalmbright,

I received my life partner permit eventhough we had not lived together permanently before (only a few months at a time), so I think you are correct in thinking that there is no time-frame for the cohabitation requirements. However, to sign a cohabitation agreement together in order to get the LPP, you need to show (for instance through a rental/lease agreement), that you are/will be residing at the same address. Also, the embassy required a certified copy of the partner's SA ID as well as his birth certificate. I only added in signed letters written by our parents, I didn't add in copies of their ID.
Hope this helps a bit!

Thank you so much! This gives me a lot of hope.

The lease is all you need even if you do not live together at all - Home Affairs will never know.

Regarding the letters, it is best to accompany them with details of the people signing them and their ID/passport copies.

I applyed for the extention of relative parmit in febuary 2013, i recieved a masage showing that i had my aplication was recieved at the place where i submited my aplication, but even now am still waiting, whenever i go to homeaffairs ,am told am still on pending, .what can i do in order to get my new parmit , is there anyone who can help, coz am stranded.