I'd like to housesit or live with a family

I'm dreaming of Guatemala. I lived in Spain and in Costa Rica, and I'm thinking that Antigua answers my need for beautiful buildings and parks with people, as well as warm and sunny (compared to Oregon). Maybe I can come in December 2013 or January '14. I'd like to housesit or live with a family to find my way around before renting a place.

Hello rebecca sorens.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Guatemala forum for more visibility.

The Community section in the Guatemala classifieds could help. You should post an advert there.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hola Rebecca-
I am a 69 year old Canadian who has lived in the Antigua area for 2 years now. I am very familiar with the area, have many friends both in the Guatemalteco community and the ex pat community. I host a monthly luncheon where I mix up my groups of friends to promote better exchange between cultures, and ages.
I have a nice two bedroom apartment about a ten minute walk from the Mercado, with a lovely guest room, Real hot water in the showers, and a well equipped kitchen with all the necessary things.
If you would like a place to stay and a local guide until you get your feet on the ground, send me an email and we can chat.
You have certainly picked the right time to come. Ask anyone locally, and we all prefer the weather here between November and March.
Michael.

Hi Michael,
I'm planning to come and visit Guatemala on January and/or February and I might be interested by a rental in Antigua, and having a guide to show me around !
What would be the price for 1 week rental ? Is your apartment situated in a nice and safe area ?
I'm also planning to take Spanish classes during my stay in Antigua. Would you recommend any specific language school ?
Thanks in advance for any information.

Monique

Hola Monique-I am in a very safe area, just a few blocks from the Mercado in Antigua. Rent is Q1000 per month, all supplied except groceries. I have wifi, a proper hot water system, (not a widow maker shower), and am well acquainted with a few very good Spanish teachers. I personally have found one on one better than the schools, which have a wide range of teachers and curricula, some great, some only so so.
Once your plans have firmed up, I can pass on information and emails for two or three of the teachers.
weekly rent is Q350, or about $45.
This is a wonderful town, with a huge range of activities available, and super transportation to other sreas within Guatemala and Central America.
You can reach me direct at [email protected].