San Ramon

Hi, can anyone tell me about SanRamon? We are moving over next month and are interested in that area. Are there valley views there of city lights? I know it is cooler there which is good. Any comments could help. Thanks, linda

Disclaimer: I am prejudice, because I happen to be selling some property in San Ramon and plan to retire there in another year.

The reasons I chose San Ramon:

It's less than an hour to the San Jose Int'l airport and San Jose.

It's got a hospital there (important for us older folks)

It's a beautiful area - cloudforests in the surrounding mountains.

It's a perfect sized town - not too big and not too small.

They have banks, a mall, an open air fruit and vege market where farmers sell their wares every weekend, a cinema, a super store, quite a few restaurants, almost anything you'd need.

It's a very safe town, at least in terms of violent crime. I have heard of some break-ins when people aren't home, but that happens in most areas of Costa Rica, here and there. There are ways to minimize it. Our land is in an area where I have not heard of that happening.

It's at a high enough altitude that it's cooler than most areas of Costa Rica.

It's a couple hours from nice beaches, and from Lake/Volcano Arenal which is a beautiful place for a weekend getaway. (hot springs, volcano views, horseback riding, waterfalls, lake, etc)

All in all it's a really great area. I looked at several other areas very closely before deciding on San Ramon. One of the considerations is that the prices for property are still lower in San Ramon than the "discovered" areas like Grecia, Atenas, etc.

Ask any specific questions here and I'll be happy to answer if I can, or PM me if you wish.

Hola Linlsd,

I live outside of San Ramon and agree with most of what Sanramond had to say, my exception would just be on the hospital.  As posted in the past, I literally would not take my dog to that hospital.  Again, just personal experience and opinion.  Yeah, I know what they say about opinions....

Where we live, we have a view of the lights of Punteranas.  There are many nice views from around here.  You will not find great views in the downtown areas of San Ramon.  But I also like it for the small town that it is.

Today was a good example of this time of year - 60 degrees last night, 85 today, clouded up a bit but has cleared for the sunset.  We get "a lot" of amazing sunsets.  Not a lot of rain so far this season.  But, October will make up for that. October is the only really sucky month here.

Will this be your first trip down?  If so, and if you are from Palm Beach, Florida, plan on some culture shock for a while.  I am serious.  It is an adjustment.  Living here is NOTHING like living there.  Just give it some time.  There are no restaurants comparable to that area.  (Again, my caveat - this is just my personal opinion as other do like some of the restaurants.)

If you don't already have someone to show you around, I'd be happy to.  I do not want any money for this or from you. 

Also, if you don't have a place to stay when you first start your search, there are some nice cabinas just outside of San Ramon if you're interested.  No, I don't rent them, just suggesting.

- Dave

Hola buenas diaz,

"livecostarica.com" is a good site for San Ramon. Also just search San Ramon Blogs on the internet their are a couple of good places to look at.  I have never lived in San Ramon,  but have read a lot about it. If you are going to become residents, you will be required to join the caja ( Health Insurance). The caja in San Ramon is very good, the nurse even comes to your house for your annual flu shot...Good luck on moving to Costa Rice, I have been a here a couple of years and love it....
Dennis

Hi Dave, I wish that you wouldn't of reminded me of the sucky month Oct. is, we will be ther in oct. in Grecia and Atenas with a local guide. Maybe we can go early in the morning prior to the down pours in the afternoon. Jerry

I am greatful for your replies about San Ramon. We are planning for the end of August and hopefully get in touch with you. We already are renting afriend's   House which is way over in San Carlos but we will have to research from there long distance. We are shipping my car over then and will ship other things when we find a place and know what we will need. What is the differences other than the obvious, between a rentista and an x pat? Requirements? Thanks again, linda

Here is a link to the ARCR website that compares residencies.
Cheers .... Terry

Jerry,

One of the many nice things about living in Costa Rica is that if you don't like the weather where you are, drive a few hours and it will be 100% different. Sometimes, quite literally, you can drive just a few minutes and the weather will be different.

Two days ago I was 500 feet up the mountain at a friends house.  It was foggy there and about five degree cooler.  My house is three minutes down the hill. 

It's is common to receive non-stop rain for days and even weeks in October.  It's the one month out of the year that I prefer to travel to another country.  BUT, depending on the storm, that time of year certain part of the Caribbean side are much nicer.  And remember, no matter what, it's always warm.

- Dave

ExpatDave wrote:

Jerry,

One of the many nice things about living in Costa Rica is that if you don't like the weather where you are, drive a few hours and it will be 100% different. Sometimes, quite literally, you can drive just a few minutes and the weather will be different.

Two days ago I was 500 feet up the mountain at a friends house.  It was foggy there and about five degree cooler.  My house is three minutes down the hill. 

It's is common to receive non-stop rain for days and even weeks in October.  It's the one month out of the year that I prefer to travel to another country.  BUT, depending on the storm, that time of year certain part of the Caribbean side are much nicer.  And remember, no matter what, it's always warm.

- Dave

This is very true.
Altitude also makes a big difference. If it's too hot where you are, drive up another thousand or two thousand feet for cooler weather. But weather patters are all over the place creating many micro-climates.

In fact, if you get up around 4500-5000 feet, to me it is quite cold - too cold in the evenings!

Hi Linda,
We have been living in San Ramon de Alajuela for over four years and write a lot about our experiences as well as the weather and cost of living on our blog. We also have a free newsletter if you are interested.
retireforlessincostarica.com/
Gloria

Linda,
I read  "retire for less in costa rica" they do a great job with there blog.  Highly recommend it...

gloriamy wrote:

Hi Linda,
We have been living in San Ramon de Alajuela for over four years and write a lot about our experiences as well as the weather and cost of living on our blog. We also have a free newsletter if you are interested.
http://retireforlessincostarica.com/
Gloria

Hi Gloria, thanks for the link, I'll check out your blog.
I don't live there yet, but we own property (and selling some lots from that property) and plan to retire there next year.

What part of San Ramon do you live in. Maybe I know you, or of you. I know quite a few people in San Ramon area.

Hi. I would very much like to live in San Ramon. I'm a retired female, former social worker, living on social security of approx $1400 per month. Ive read blogs that state there are affordable rental apts available but cannot find any listings for them. I will not have a vehicle so I would need to be within walking distance to shopping, etc. And I do like to be around people

Can you give me any advice as to how to locate affordable apts in San Ramon? I really could use some help.

Any help would be much appreciated

elayne

ahimsa108 wrote:

Hi. I would very much like to live in San Ramon. I'm a retired female, former social worker, living on social security of approx $1400 per month. Ive read blogs that state there are affordable rental apts available but cannot find any listings for them. I will not have a vehicle so I would need to be within walking distance to shopping, etc. And I do like to be around people

Can you give me any advice as to how to locate affordable apts in San Ramon? I really could use some help.

Any help would be much appreciated

elayne

Hola Elayne,

There are quite a few apartments in San Ramon - downtown.  I would suggest that you come down, stay in a downtown hotel, not the nicest but they are safe, and then look at apartments from there.  Many in that area are going to be word of mouth or posted on boards at the local stores.

You should be able to get a furnished apartment for around $350-$400.00 per month.

Do you speak enough espanol to arrange for an apartment?  If not, you could hire a Tica to translate for you and show you around.  If you want some help with that you can send me a private message on this site and I can recommend someone for you - a local lady who's English is good and is a very nice person.  I think she charges ¢2,500 ($4.37) per hour plus you'd have to pay for a taxi.

Let me know if you want some help with this.

- Expat Dave

Like Dave said, the best bet would be to stay in a hotel or perhaps a temporary house rental for a couple months and look around for an apartment. Taxis are not too expensive and there are bus lines to you *might* also find a house for rent or a cabin or room in a house, not downtown but close enough to take a bus or taxi into town. Just an idea...
There is a Facebook page on San Ramon, I can't recall the name of it right now but if you can't find it PM me and I'll get the name of it for you. On that page someone might know of an apartment or cabin or ? for rent near town. For example, the road going out towards the University and then on out to Piedades Sur has buses going by once an hour I think. That might be a good place to look for a small house or room in a house. Not sure if there are apartments out that way or not.

Thank you so much for your information. I hadn't thought to rent a place for a few months while I get to know the area. Is there such a thing as a rental for a few months in the area? Im not financially able to stay in a hotel for that long unless they are a great deal cheaper than I think. I think a short term rental (so long as they exist) would be the best way to go.  There are no rentals on line.  How would I find a short term rental? I'm thinking it goes like this. You rent a hotel room until you find either a permanent or temp apt. So my question would be how hard is it to find a decent apt in San Ramon? With a small dog?

Your suggestion of staying in a hotel while I look for a permanent apt makes perfect sense and I dont no why that never occurred to me. I'm relieved to hear that it is not too difficult to find a decent apt. I have a small dog. How much more difficult will
that make finding apt? Thank you for giving me the average rental.  I heard they were low but I really wanted to make sure. As to speaking Spanish I know basic words and can construct simple sentences so I would definitely need someone to help translate. You have no idea how much time I've spent trying to get this information.

Check out gringocentral.org. Then get hooked up with the group in town that meets one day a week. Sorry I don't have the info on it but someone at the facebook page will or at gringocentral.
Then go to facebook - join if you have to - and go to San Ramon Costa Rica Info and join that group, then start asking people there.
Renting an apartment with a dog is going to be harder but probably not impossible. That's another reason why I think a small house or cottage on the edge of town might be a better option. But there are also houses in or near town.
It's complicated for sure, you will have to at least rent a hotel room (La Posada is about the only one in town - be sure to make reservations well before you come - they used to fill up), but there are also a couple bed and breakfasts but not in town.

You will pretty much HAVE to rent a hotel room (maybe $60-80/night) until you find a place to rent. Unless you know someone here to rent you a room or something, there's no other option. That's why you need to try to talk to people on the Facebook page for San Ramon imho.
I know a few people on that FB page and someone MIGHT be willing to rent just a room to you and your dog temporarily at least... til you find a longer term rental.
I have rented houses for 2-4 -8 weeks before in the San Ramon area. The only one I know of right now is way out in the boonies though. But you should be able to find something in the $300-600/month range.
Good luck!

It could be harder to book a hotel room with a dog, than an apartment.

Hi.

Your information is invaluable. I'll connect w the website you suggested and get a Facebook account. If I could find a good Samaritan in San Ramon who would short term rent I'd be thrilled. I'm doing this alone and would feel much more secure if I had a contact or two in Costa Rica.  Again you've been awesome

Okay! Last question I swear. If I lived on the outskirts of town...a suggestion you made..Would I be able to walk to town?

I sure hope it's not, hard to get a place because I have a service dog that helps me to move around.
I can move around a house just fine but when I'm outside, I need him.
He's not a therapy dogs like what SOME people use there regular pets as "therapy dog/cat/ whatever" animal. I even have his coat with ID like a driver lin. And I have my dr's letter too.
Please let me know if this helps to get a place.
Thanks guys

ahimsa108 wrote:

Hi.

Your information is invaluable. I'll connect w the website you suggested and get a Facebook account. If I could find a good Samaritan in San Ramon who would short term rent I'd be thrilled. I'm doing this alone and would feel much more secure if I had a contact or two in Costa Rica.  Again you've been awesome

Initially, you can stay where many Gringos start out in the area.  There are furnished cabins about 7 km outside of San Ramon with a bus stop within easy walking distance.  A taxi from there to town is only ¢3,000 ($5.25).
See cabins at:  https://www.facebook.com/cabinasofcostarica

Cesar,  ("see-zar" en espanol) the manager, speaks very good English and does allow dogs.  The rate is $700 per month.  You could start there and search for a more permanent location.  The cabins are rented by Gringos the majority of the time so you'd have others to talk with and get ideas from.

The Tica that I mentioned before also lives close by and could help you with communicating, negotiating for apartment.  Send me a private message if you'd like her info.   :)

- Expat Dave

GinnyP wrote:

I sure hope it's not, hard to get a place because I have a service dog that helps me to move around.
I can move around a house just fine but when I'm outside, I need him.
He's not a therapy dogs like what SOME people use there regular pets as "therapy dog/cat/ whatever" animal. I even have his coat with ID like a driver lin. And I have my dr's letter too.
Please let me know if this helps to get a place.
Thanks guys

Does anyone know what the laws are here with respect to service dogs????

- Expat Dave

'Paperwork' from your home country may not assist you in allowing you to have a service animal in a rental home. The same goes for handicapped parking permit: you will need to apply here. Just recently I met a woman who had to move because the condo managers had decided that animals were no allowed.

Pets are not allowed on buses and only the occasional taxi may allow it, if you have struck up a 'relationship' as a regular user.

It may be harder to find a fully fenced yard for your pets.

I know a great taxi driver in the San Ramon area and if you pm me I will turn you on to his name and phone number. Pretty sure he'd be okay with a well trained dog. He's a "pirate" taxi but SUPER professional and reliable and cheaper than the "licensed" taxis. I have used him many times and he's a super nice guy, very trustworthy and reliable.

I can't answer whether or not it will be hard to get a rental with such a dog. I would think that it will be somewhat more difficult than without a dog but not terribly difficult, but that's just a guess. Ticos seem to love barking dogs, from what I can hear!  ;-D

ahimsa108 wrote:

Okay! Last question I swear. If I lived on the outskirts of town...a suggestion you made..Would I be able to walk to town?

Depends on how much you like to walk and how far out you live!  ;)
Seriously, that's hard to say. I have never looked into renting around town because I don't like living in a town/city, I live out in the sticks.

I have seen various places for rent just walking around town in San Ramon, and I would imagine there are some just outside of town a half mile or so but not sure.

Start making contacts with some of the realtors in San Ramon who have rentals (google them) go to the facebook page for San Ramon and so on and start just talking to people if you haven't already. Sooner or later you will find some answers and probably find a rental that will work for you.

Can't remember if you speak Spanish but if you do just go around town talking to people, that's how a friend of mine found some rentals outside of town (he wasn't looking for IN town). If you don't speak Spanish Dave mentioned someone who can translate, also many of the realtors are bilingual.
Note you will likely NOT get the best price via realtors, but they can be helpful in finding rentals.
Best prices are usually by meeting people at random... But sometimes that's just not practical.

And by the way if you don't know Spanish start learning NOW. it is imperative if you want to do well living here, to learn Spanish imho. Even if you just were to learn words for looking for a rental, that might lead you to something. Amazing what you can do with even just a LITTLE Spanish.

Tks
I will pm you
Ask for barking, Nova is a Husky so he doesn't bark...lol he sometimes talks
Some people are scared because he has bright blue eyes and ask if he bits, I say "Not unless I tell him to"
but he will lick you to death
But he does shead like all huskies do