Moving to Reunion

Hi,

We are moving to Reunion Island in July. The removals company has asked us for a 'certificat de demenagement' for Reunion customs department to certify that we are moving out of UK or at least out of the city we live in. I just called Manchester city council and they have no clue about this type of document. Could anyone who has recently move from UK to Reunion provide us with some more information about this document?

Thanks
Ben

Have you queried the French Embassy in the UK about this?

I thought the 'certificat de demenagement' was only for those moving from somewhere else in France, and is delivered by the municipality where they're moving from.

It could be that out of habit the removal company is asking you for certificate which, as non-French, you don't have to supply.

When we had an international move back to Reunion from South Korea I can't remember being asked for this certificate, but admittedly Korea is not European Union.

Thanks. According to the removal company in Reunion this document is important to avoid paying for the 'octroi de mer'. I was thinking that it is normal for a municipality in France to issue this type of document.

Good suggestion. I'll speak to the French Embassy in London tomorrow. Or maybe i could ask the customs directly and get something in writing.

Did you have to pay for 'octroi de mer' when your moved from S. Korea?

Thanks again!

When you call the Embassy do bear in mind that "octroi de mer" is specific to the French overseas departments - they might not know what it is.

On leaving Korea we were asked for a certificate of change of residence (≈certificat de demenagement?) but I can't remember if we supplied it, or if it came from my husband's employer or maybe even from the removal company in Korea.

I can't find the document that would say if we paid "octroi de mer" on our container on arrival, but as it was coming from outside the EU things are different.

Your removal company should be used to international moves though, they should be able to explain everything to you (in English).

Yes, the 'certificat de demenagement' is the same as the certificate of change of address. Instead of this document they do accept un 'avis de mutation' from an employer which I guess you got from your husband's employer. But I thought that this was for someone who is being posted overseas by his employers.

I think I would have to speak to the customs department.

Thanks