Huge problem with removal asking for more money than agreed

Hi, I have a big problem with the removals. I agreed to pay 3300 €, half in cash in the loading and other half in the unloading. At the start everything was fine. They came for the things fast.

Then, I had to wait from the 18 of March till the 17th of April, because allegedly there was problems with the ship that wouldn't want to go (they didnt explain why).

But now comes the bad part. They ask me a further 690 €, because they claim that in we only agreed to the transportation to the port, not to my home.

In the document I signed it says Origin and Delivery my home address, but they say that as in the concept it only says "Maritime Transportation" I have to pay that 690 €. I told them hundreds of times I wanted it delivered to my home, and it is a removal, not a commercial transport, but they didn't say anything until nearly the last moment.

They are telling me that it will come the 24th and if I don't pay I will  be charged for the days it is in the warehouse.

I don't know if I should pay and then claim them (it is agreed I would pay by PayPal) with the possibility that PayPal doesn't return me the money, or that I should tell them a big "no!" and try and force them to do what we agreed.

I don't know really what I can do save let them take my 690 € with absolute impunity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MaltaCommando wrote:

I don't know really what I can do save let them take my 690 € with absolute impunity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you do not find a better solution and you are mad at them, you can maybe order that specific service (the delivery to home) from a competitor of them. It will probably be a little more complicated, you will probably pay more or less the same BUT at least you will not pay those €690 to them.

Pay, receive your things and then sue them

Spiridonov wrote:

Pay, receive your things and then sue them

You forgot the wait "5 years bit" after the "then sue them"

I would use a local transport firm, there are loads in the phone book, it will be cheaper so long as you pay cash!!

We had a similar issue when the groupage firm in Malta wanted to us to pay a handling fee but our shipping agent told them this had been payed and they dropped the charge.
Terry

Wow.. These people sound like the same guys that did this to me.

Whewn we moved back to England from Malta in 2007 we was meant to get all are stuff we owned shipped to England.

Everything was fine at first we paid and they came and took are stuff..

It wasn't till we got back to England and we rang them to just ask where are stuff is at the moment.. They said the ship that is meant to send it is having problem.. So we just said okay and expected it to be a few weeks late.

So we waited a bout a month and rang them back up asking where are stuff is.. They then said still in Malts and then they said was meant to pay more money... I forgot how much they asked but it was so expensive we couldn't afford it.

So long story short... We lost all are stuff.. Beds, Sofa, Tv, just everything because these people tricked us and took are money and are stuff..

Well, in theory they say that the 690 € is exactly what the shipping company charges to deliver it home, but of course I can't trust anything they say now.

You know if it would be cheaper for moving from the port than 690 € for 25m3? Monday maybe I will ask some companies, but I don;t think it will be much cheaper and it will probably I would have to go to the port and sort it out, which I would prefer to avoid.

I would open a claim through PayPal, but sue them seems quite ineffective to me. All the same I have asked the law consulting agency of a relative to see if there is something to do about it.

SoullessOnyx, in my case for 690 € I would rather pay than lose all things, that's for sure. I only hope that they're not tricking me and the things haven't even get to ship, and I am just giving them more money for nothing.

You should have a contract signed by both parties, it should give you a price and if it states to you home address then it should be delivered there. They should also give you the name of the ship which you can track online. Find out who the handling agents in Malta are and ring them to find out what is happening.
Also check with a local firm to see home much they will charge for the same journey, but only consider llegal action after you have obtained ypur goods. If you are thinking of going down to the bonded area in HalFar you will not get in without the paperwork from an agent.
Once you know the name of the ship google "Lana marine traffic"
and click the first link. Click the coordinates in red on the left hand side and it'll bring up a Google maps location of the vessel.

Good luck

Terry

If you knew all what I experience now with companies in Malta, I could write a book. Sometimes, you are in a strong position, sometimes no. In your case, you are not in a strong position. Try to negotiate. I would avoid another company since they will refuse to do the job if another one is implied.

MaltaCommando, if you cannot name and shame on this board, please will you pm me the name of the agent in Malta?
Thanks.

It maybe the shipping company at fault, not the agent in Malta

Why cant we name and shame surely thats the point of a forum?

MaltaCommando,

Are you shipping from the UK? if so could you PM me the company you used.

Many thanks

Its all a bit confusing to me, Are you using an agent, a removal company or a shipping company? Also you said " I agreed to pay 3300 €, half in cash in the loading and other half in the unloading" so do you still have to pay the other half? If so this puts you in a stronger position to negotiate. Try offering them half of the extra money on delivery to your home, but do not pay them anymore until you have some sort of agreement.
This is the website for the Malta consumers association who may be able to offer advice ..
http://www.ukecc-services.net/Maltacons … iation.cfm

Terry

brayster99 wrote:

a potential liablous law suit maybe..... there is plenty of scope to promote the good ones and no scope for anything at all to do with the bad ones...

Could there not be a "not recommended section" any one interested in finding out why could PM the person who posted to find out the reason?

Terry

toonarmy9752 wrote:
brayster99 wrote:

a potential liablous law suit maybe..

for both the poster and the forum owners

I've just checked our contract and it specifically states that our belongings will be unpacked by the agents of the shipping company in the rooms of our choice.
I'm still going to get a confirmatory undertaking as well though.

Could you please pm the company as my bother in law is shipping his
Stuff and I don't want the same happening to him. Thank you! And good luck x

tearnet, yes, I've got a bill signed by both parties, where it says origin and destination (my house). They given me the name of the ship, and I have confirmed that it is true, it wil arrive in Marsaxlokk day 24th. Thanks for the website, I had no idea that you could track nearly any ship by internet.

redmik, pm sent.

georgeingozo, the fault is of the removal company based in spain.

brayster99, I want to avoid any possible trouble. If somebody wants to know the name of the company to avoid it, send me a pm. If the moderators think there isn't any problem, I will post it here.

Rocking Ken, no, it is based in spain.

tearnet, it is a sort of transport company that also does removals. They contacted me through Shiply, offered me 3500 €, and we negotiated and agreed 3300 €. All offers in that website are for the full transport, but we didn't go through the whole process by the website, so Shiply can't help here.

The amount was 3100 € = 200 € of custom taxes (why there should be custom taxes in the EU I dont know, maybe it is another sort of taxes). So I paid 1550 € in cash and we agreed that I would pay the other half by PayPal. I told them that I would pay on delivery, but on the paper my father signed it is told that the payment would be made on the delivery of the BL, which are the legal papers of the container.

This company just limits to take the stuff in the first house, transport it to the port and then they pay for the container to be moved by the shipping company and they contact the shipping company to make the deliver to my home in malta.

Besides this, we've had to wait without all our things for one month without even getting to the ship when it was supposed it would be one week to be embarked. They don't reply 90 % of my emails, and I have to ring them with different mobiles because they don't want to reply me to those they know.

I see they have facebook pages. Perhaps some leverage through there, perhaps?

Update: I have arrived to an agreement, they have offered to me that they will cover half of the extra charge they were going to make me pay (I will pay 345 € extra instead of 690 €). I tried to contact the shipping company but they say that they can't do anything as the container is in the removal company name.

So I'll wait that I receive the things and then I'll contemplate if I claim by PayPal or legal actions. I have made myself clear that now they send me the bill through PayPal stating clearly that it will delivered to my home and that now it covers all costs.

I am posting this info in the interests of helping and there is no criticism intended.

I have just spoken with our shipping company and it was suggested that perhaps there are some issues arising because delivery to a residence is more complicated than expected.
For example, if delivery is above a first floor residence and that was not disclosed then there would be extra charges.
If there are parking problems or a vehicle of significant size cannot access the front of the residence then that could incur extra transport and handling costs.
Also a permit has to be applied for for the unloading though that cost is very small, in my case €2.30.

We were lucky enough to be able to take pictures of the access to our residence, parking availability and pictures of stairs and doorways etc so as to fully inform the shipping company.
I also found out the costs of hiring a furniture lift, if required, which for information, for us is €35 + VAT for one hour.

I realise that this may be of no specific help to MaltaCommando but others may find it useful.

MaltaCommando wrote:

Update: I have arrived to an agreement, they have offered to me that they will cover half of the extra charge they were going to make me pay (I will pay 345 € extra instead of 690 €). I tried to contact the shipping company but they say that they can't do anything as the container is in the removal company name.

So I'll wait that I receive the things and then I'll contemplate if I claim by PayPal or legal actions. I have made myself clear that now they send me the bill through PayPal stating clearly that it will delivered to my home and that now it covers all costs.

That I think is a significant outcome. It may not be ideal but you get your things and that is the main thing. Prosit!

MaltaCommando wrote:

Update: I have arrived to an agreement, they have offered to me that they will cover half of the extra charge they were going to make me pay (I will pay 345 € extra instead of 690 €).

MaltaCommando if you are considering legal actions I would do so ASAP. For example the fact that they are asking now for €345 instead of €690 is a MUCH better position for them from a legal point of view. They could have some criminal liabilities if the quantity were higher than €400.

In which region is this company based? What type of company is it? SL?

Where is the agent based? Who is the party that you paid and the one you have an agreement with? The agent and/or the removal company?

MaltaCommando wrote:

So I paid 1550 € in cash

Do you have a receipt of that?

there may also be the requirement of a warden (15-25euros) to control traffic flow if you are on a main road - - plus if, like us, are adjacent to a bus stop you will need the permission of transport malta too.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

there may also be the requirement of a warden (15-25euros) to control traffic flow if you are on a main road - - plus if, like us, are adjacent to a bus stop you will need the permission of transport malta too.

All of which I doubt that the Maltese will bother with!

Maltacommanda
Great that you have a satisfactory outcome.
The ship tracker is great if you are interested in looking at what goes where!

Terry

tearnet wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

All of which I doubt that the Maltese will bother with!

Maltacommanda
Great that you have a satisfactory outcome.
The ship tracker is great if you are interested in looking at what goes where!

Terry

they did with us Terry - twice...once three years ago and again 9 months ago. And our friends did it just 10days ago with the exact same requirements.

MaltaCommando wrote:

Rocking Ken, no, it is based in spain.

Thanks, on my contract they specifically say it's delivery only to the port and I have to arrange pickup and delivery to my address but as I have a heavy good license anyway I'm thinking of hiring a truck and doing the work myself.

Ken

If the shipping company asks me for some extra charge, I'll redirect them to the removal company and the "all costs included" bill I've paid, so I hope there won't be any trouble about this, although I am starting to think there will be.

Lusco, I didn't thought that, I hope that with a claim through PayPal there is enough, as going through the law, at least in spain, is completely ineffecient and expensive.

The agent is based in spain and is a SL. I have the agreement with the removal company. And yes, I have a bill where it shows I've paid 1550 € in cash.

I have seen that yesterday the ship entered port (it arrived the 23, but wasn't able to enter to the port).

I have now a question: now that the ship is in the port, how much time will more or less take to deliver to my home? the removal company just say that "they will ring me soon", but that, knowing them, could be one month more. Any experience with this? the cargo ship carries 8,500 containers (or at least has capacity to), so if it was one of the first, I fear it could take even two more weeks, and I'am fed up with the waiting.

Edit: I have seen now in the marine website and the ship has already left the port! they have unloaded just between yesterday and they have gone this morning. I suppose there wasn't much to deliver to the port. Hope this means a faster delivery.

Our stuff landed this Tuesday and it was delivered yesterday ( 2 days )

How are you getting on?

Good and bad news.

The shipping company says that they haven't paid the delivery to the second floor, the spanish agents said that they paid everything, and told me that they will claim to the shipping company. The shipping wants to deliver Monday, tomorrow, I asked the spanish agents if I should tell them to come another day, but they say that I just hire two persons to unload the cargo to my flat, because the 340 €the shipping company asks is too expensive. But I don't want to mess more the whole affair, so I'll pay the 340 € (besides I dont know anybody to do the job for less than that amount).

Now my problem is that the permits of unloading can only be expedited wednesday, and they told me to go to the police office in Qawra. It is closed today, so Monday I'll have to ring the shipping company, explain the whole thing about the permits and see what we can do.

All the same I'am inclined to do it tomorrow if possible and finish this nightmare once and for all.

Just do it tomorrow, job done. We have moved twice and never bothered with the permit, we just told the neighbours what was happening. The lifter and removal guys just got on with it.

Terry

tearnet, where you on the second or on the third floor? is very big the lifter?

The problem is that I am a bit concerned, as they say they have to carry the container, leave it on the ground, and then lift the things. Although we have a road closed to the traffic, there is people going in and out the garages and I can see that the street will end up awfully blocked and probably with problems (we have a police station just down the road!)

Second floor and roof, the lifters are pretty compact and don,t take up a lot of room. This is Malta, don,t worry and leave it to the lifter guys.

Terry

Hope it all goes well. Fingers crossed for you

Does anybody know how much are the fines? I ask as I have a great talent to attract problems :( . The shipping company said that I should get it and if not any fine will be directed to me.

for the sake of 2.33 euros is it worth not having it...

I was under the impression and certainly for Xaghra that one gets a permit from the Council Office, not the police.

Well finally we got our stuff!!!!!!!

HOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Now we are checking if everything is there, and then we'll see about the claim.

Thanks to everybody for the moral support and their ideas. In the end the council permit wasn't needed.