Health insurance

Hi

I'm a newbie on this site but in the process of buying a house in Frenaros.

Hopefully relocating permanently in December from UK.

I will be 56 but I'm lucky enough to retire early from nursing.  I won't be working in Cyprus as non EU.

I'm moving out on my own (well with dog and cats).

I've no idea how the health care system works in Cyprus, particularly now we are not EU.  I assume I won't be eligible even when over 60 for Cypriot healthcare as I've not worked and paid into it?

I've been looking into health insurance but quotes are in excess of £300 monthly which is a huge chunk of my pension!

Has anyone got any advice or recommendations please?

Thanks

My partner and I have paid €200 each for the year through our lawyers but not made it live until we move over on the 9th of October. I'll try and find out which company they use tomorrow, we open bank account tomorrow morning so I'll ask our rep tomorrow.

I think if you look further on this site there's insurance recommendations. If you're in good health just do the basic insurance cover until you get residency over here.

Thanks Tim- I did apply to the ones on the site but as I said they are coming in high.

Am in reasonable health but have a cancer history over 10 years ago.  Don't want to take any chances but also hoping I'll never need anything serious sorting out.

Is yours €200 monthly or for the year?

£300/mth is the typical quote for health insurance for internationally mobile persons, i.e. not relating to the country of residence. The plus of such insurance is the underwriting company usually located in a reputable jurisdiction like UK or US. The minus is obvious - the price.

There are local Cypriot reputable insurers providing decent packages for about 60 eur/mth. I personally used Atlantic insurance. Also considered Universal Life.

PS. EUR 200/year is headache rather than real insurance. Works well for the bureaucratic immigration purposes only as part of required documents pack

@BJ Windsor I agree the cheap one really only gives sufficient cover to satisfy immigration....  The cover is minimal for sure ...

When we first got here 8 yrs ago we.took Abbeygates bronze package via AIG and that was then €800. Per year each ...it's considerably different now ....am pleased we are of an age and status to be covered by GESY...

Thanks guys, I will look into these.

Toon would I be eligible for GESY at 60 if I've not worked in cyprus and will moving post Brexit?  If so, does that cover everything such has hip replacement, triple heart bypass, cancer etc?

Gesy covers most things and is capped at €150 cost annually but you cannot benefit from it unless you work and pay into the system via social contributions... (Sadly you cannot make these on a voluntary basis).....or are in receipt of a UK state pension via the form S1....

Some are caught out and pay gesy contributions @2.65% on their personal private pension incomes declared through Cyprus taxisnet system.. And cant join it or benefit from it and still have to have private healthcare including repatriation cover

So I guess I'll have to try and find a job and pay into the system - I saw earlier the hospitality trade are struggling to find workers. 

Yes but depending on your skill set and the passport you hold that could be difficult ..as pink slip residency route does not allow working.. and remember if non EU third in line for jobs after Cypriots and EU nationals

If working is essential.then you need to be in a " in demand skill" group and find a sponsor.. hospitality would appear to be short staffed but remember much of it is seasonal

Not impossible but definitely challenging

Good luck

Indeed!  Technically my skill set is palliative nursing, but I don't speak fluent greek and therefore can't work as a nurse in cyprus.

Had thought of private care for ex pats but due to the difficulties getting work as not in EU I  think I will just have to retire and volunteer at the cat and rescues

Don't give up on it ..... Keep trying you never now what opportunities might arise once you are here....

As a volunteer myself for cat welfare n peyia and coral bay with Only TNR I commend your choice of volunteering... We are always on the lookout for trappers feeders and assistance in our shop.