Fishing Saigon River

Question ... I recently went fishing on the Saigon River near D2 ... caught a bunch of small catfish ... but threw them back, as I am not sure if they are safe to keep and eat ... any info out there on the safety of fish caught in rivers around the city?
Question ... I recently went fishing on the Saigon River near D2 ... caught a bunch of small catfish ... but threw them back, as I am not sure if they are safe to keep and eat ... any info out there on the safety of fish caught in rivers around the city?
- @Friday with Mateo
Probably much safer than what you catch on Bui Vien...

- @Friday with Mateo
Probably much safer than what you catch on Bui Vien...

- @OceanBeach92107

Yep best keep your bait dry until you get to Japan
- @Friday with Mateo
Maybe go looking at what feeds into it before fishing it and asking if it's safe to eat

https://i.postimg.cc/hjMthyTG/Screenshot-2022-08-29-151847.png

@Friday with Mateo in a city of 10m, I think it's safe to assume they're no good to eat!

@Friday with Mateo in a city of 10m, I think it's safe to assume they're no good to eat!

- @Chris Diggins

if they were,,, it would be fished dry
@Friday with Mateo

I wouldn't even dare feed those fish to my cat.
Ditch them, and wash your hands thoroughly.

I wonder if anybody (or agency) has actually lab-tested city fish to see what the actual levels of contaminates may or may not be those fish ... for example, large fish like tuna and swordfish are super high in mercury and farmed salmon (most of it) is full of terrible junk too ... these catfish are from the summer spawn and are just around 10cm ... typically small fish have not had time to accumulate the toxins like the larger ones.... I devour those fresh sardines from local markets (high in Omega 3) ... great grilled on coal.

I have not been to Bui Vien for a few years ... but it is an exciting spectacle ... especially for first-timers to Saigon @OB

@Friday

Before I put your post under review please remove the derogatory term irrespective of how you meant it.

@Andybris2020 Never had anyone (in 56 years) say it is derogatory when used to describe "a long time" ... but edit has been made

Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a contemptuous term used to refer to a Black person.

You wouldnt want to repeat it in Australia

I wonder if anybody (or agency) has actually lab-tested city fish to see what the actual levels of contaminates may or may not be those fish ... for example, large fish like tuna and swordfish are super high in mercury and farmed salmon (most of it) is full of terrible junk too ... these catfish are from the summer spawn and are just around 10cm ... typically small fish have not had time to accumulate the toxins like the larger ones.... I devour those fresh sardines from local markets (high in Omega 3) ... great grilled on coal.
I have not been to Bui Vien for a few years ... but it is an exciting spectacle ... especially for first-timers to Saigon @OB
-@Friday with Mateo

Yes, but as with real estate, it's all about location, location, location.

All the fish you referenced are salt water species. They are fished in a much deeper body of water (not to mention much more voluminous).

The Saigon River is at best brackish, receiving only slight tidal swells from Pacific waters. Not enough to flush chemical contaminants from the ever flowing (refilling?) river water. Environmental oversight is lax, and the Saigon River flows through many regions picking up whichever wastes are dumped in to it.

I know they look delicious, but don't dare.....

:)

@Aidan in HCMC 10-4

@Andybris2020 Funny you mention Australia ... when I was living there with my sis ... we went up the NSW coast on Australia day to camp out at Hawks Nest ... 2am my lighter wouldn't work, everyone was asleep ... so I walked over to a loud group down the road to ask for a light ... one guy said "You're American? ... I said yes ... got a light ... and he asked me about Obama getting elected (it was just after the first election) ... then I was shocked when he asked ... "Do you Americans hate (N-words) as much as we do???" ... I was speechless and quickly left the scene ... What if my wife had been black? Really shocked me.

I was speechless and quickly left the scene ... What if my wife had been black? Really shocked me.

-@Friday with Mateo

Which is why I asked you to remove the derogatory term, people can, will, do get offended/shocked.

My experience says if you won't drink the water, don't eat the food that lives in it!

My experience says if you won't drink the water, don't eat the food that lives in it!
-@Hooked

Well there goes grouper, any kind of tuna, sea bass, salmon, swordfish, etc from my menu, since I won't drink seawater

I have water maker

@Andybris2020 all good