Teaching Pro Bono Publico, Pro Gratis, or Privately (one on one)

What restrictions, if any, exist in VN for a foreigner to teach English "pro bono publico" (free, for the public good) and/or "pro gratis" (for the thanks alone)? Also, what of offering "one-on-one lessons" for a small fee?

Are there Visas which are already held/issued to the holder which would allow for either of these scenarios?

I have cautioned other expats against performing any of these services (free or not). I was told a couple of years back that such services might result in repercussions due to the lost income that registered, legitimate schools might suffer.

Was I correct?

@Aidan in HCMC yes, I think you are correct. I tried exploring this avenue several years ago and got nowhere.

Jy sister-in-law is a Vietnamese teacher. I believe K 6. To work a an aid in her classroom, would seem simple enough to me. Of course I would not expect to be paid.

MAc
Geez,
Sorry behavior for a professed teacher
Spelling atrocious:
Jy=My  sister-in-law is a Vietnamese teacher. I believe K 6. To work a=as an aid in her classroom, would seem simple enough to me. Of course I would not expect to be paid.
At the present time, as we visit w friends in Tien Giang Province, I've created a following of 1 on 1, now  up to 5 kids. Teaching and learning English/(learning Vietnamese myself), along w math and science.
After we get our home built, I expect to have the same kids in our home. But, I'll have more tools to w with. But, that'll be bout 5-6 mo. out.
Again not expect to be paid, maybe bring some food.

MAc
That sounds wonderful, Mac. It would do VN well to have more people like you.

Are you able to do this based on your being married to a VN? I saw SteinNebraska's post (thanks, SN!) re spouses not being required to hold a work visa.

And what of a foreigner with a different type of Visa? Could they offer to teach for free? One on one for a small fee?
Would be nice to know all of the "T"s which have to be crossed, and the "I"s to be dotted.
There is a huge difference between getting away with doing something (in Vietnam) and being able to legally do something.

No foreigner legally teaches in Vietnam without permission AND without someone taking responsibility for giving that foreigner permission to teach.

A simple way to check to see if I'm correct:

Walk into the nearest People's Committee and tell them you'd like to teach for free in Vietnam and ask them if you need permission.

Even if your marital & residency status don't require you to have a work permit for employment, you still need to register your employment.

Try registering yourself as a self-employed or totally volunteer teacher and see if you aren't at least required to have a sponsor take responsibility for you and your activities.

Again, people have gotten away with doing it without permission in the past and some will probably continue to get away with it in the future.

On a related issue, the government's recent push to control VOA business visas and long-term tourist visas has been driven at least in part by their desire to eradicate sub-standard ESL teachers.
There is a huge difference between getting away with doing something (in Vietnam) and being able to legally do something.

No foreigner legally teaches in Vietnam without permission AND without someone taking responsibility for giving that foreigner permission to teach.

Walk into the nearest People's Committee and tell them you'd like to teach for free in Vietnam and ask them if you need permission.

Even if your marital & residency status don't require you to have a work permit for employment, you still need to register your employment.

Try registering yourself as a self-employed or totally volunteer teacher and see if you aren't at least required to have a sponsor take responsibility for you and your activities.

Again, people have gotten away with doing it without permission in the past and some will probably continue to get away with it in the future.

On a related issue, the government's recent push to control VOA business visas and long-term tourist visas has been driven at least in part by their desire to eradicate sub-standard ESL teachers.
- @OceanBeach92107

A good reality check OB for some of the posts I have been reading on here recently by some who are living in a dream world!

- @OceanBeach92107

Thank you for that, OB. My thoughts, precisely.

The reason for my starting this thread was because my friend, visiting from Canada, had been approached by one of my neighbours asking whether he would be willing to give his son two or three lesson a week in conversational English. I advised him against it. The same neighbour had approached me back in May. I declined, stating that without his procuring the relevant paperwork that I would be technically teaching his son illegally. I'm surprised he decided to head-hunt my guest.

I live in a small village on the outskirts of Duong Dong, Phu Quoc. I told my friend that whether he visited the neighbour's house, or whether the kid came here for lessons, mattered not a tot. Word would spread like wildfire, and he could soon expect a visit from the local authorities.

A good reality check OB for some of the posts I have been reading on here recently by some who are living in a dream world!
- @goodolboy

I strongly resemble that remark!

:)
Thank you for that, OB. My thoughts, precisely.

The reason for my starting this thread was because my friend, visiting from Canada, had been approached by one of my neighbours asking whether he would be willing to give his son two or three lesson a week in conversational English. I advised him against it. The same neighbour had approached me back in May. I declined, stating that without his procuring the relevant paperwork that I would be technically teaching his son illegally. I'm surprised he decided to head-hunt my guest.

I live in a small village on the outskirts of Duong Dong, Phu Quoc. I told my friend that whether he visited the neighbour's house, or whether the kid came here for lessons, mattered not a tot. Word would spread like wildfire, and he could soon expect a visit from the local authorities.

- @Aidan in HCMC

Jeez, I would help a kid out. Be neighborly. My impression of Vietnam is that one has a lot of personal freedom here. We don't sweat Chinese police or Russian gulags. When word got out that a foreigner was helping kids with English, my worry would be a stampede of nice pleading parents for their kids. And the policeman's kids.  Worst case, ask forgiveness.
Worst case, ask forgiveness.
@gobot

Worst case, get deported.
Worst case, ask forgiveness.
@gobot

Worst case, get deported.
- @OceanBeach92107

My fear exactly, and I indicated as much to my friend.
Try explaining to your next host-destination the reason for the big, fat, bold "DEPORTED" stamp in your passport.
That would be the worsterest of all :)