How can I improve my english only 1 month?

My english level A1.

How can I improve my english only 1 month? I want to apply job at foreigner company at HCM C.
My english level A1.

How can I improve my english only 1 month? I want to apply job at foreigner company at HCM C.
- @Ng Sunny
Twice daily conversation with a native English speaker.

Meet every morning and evening for coffee, or walking together.
Listen to English music

Watch English television shows
You wont advance too far in a month.
Watch English television shows
- @Hooked
Good advice, especially news anchors.

ABC, CBS, NBC and the PBS News Hour all have nightly news broadcasts either live streaming or posted immediately after the show airs on YouTube.

So they are available between about 7 AM and 9 AM in Vietnam.

Most have captions.
EFL students that I have talked to who speak quite good English and have clear pronunciation always mention watching tv series, especially an old one called "Friends" using the English language sub-titles and shadowing or mimicking (repeating what the actors say).

Watching this type of program is enjoyable (it's a comedy) and the speaking style is conversational. Search "Learn English with Friends tv series" on youtube and/or try to find the original episodes somewhere.

EFL students that I have talked to who speak quite good English and have clear pronunciation always mention watching tv series, especially an old one called "Friends" using the English language sub-titles and shadowing or mimicking (repeating what the actors say).

Watching this type of program is enjoyable (it's a comedy) and the speaking style is conversational. Search "Learn English with Friends tv series" on youtube and/or try to find the original episodes somewhere.

- @johnross23

This is certainly true, my vietnamese girlfriend improved her americanised English greatly by watching "Friends".

@Ng Sunny Listen to the BBC ***

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Unnecessary comment
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Ng Sunny Listen to the BBC***

- @nscprez

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Unnecessary comment
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Please do not inject political opinion in replies and don't quote posts including political opinion.

Both types of posts are subject to moderation and/or deletion by admin.

Thanks everyone!

The Expat.com forum is dedicated to expat related matters. Topics related to politics or religion won't be accepted.
The moderation team reserves the right to intervene if necessary.

It is best to avoid the BBC, unless you are watching content from at least 30 years ago. Nowadays you will be exposed to all manner of "regional" dialects, and nobody elsewhere on Earth will understand a word you are saying if you emulate them.
It is best to avoid the BBC, unless you are watching content from at least 30 years ago. Nowadays you will be exposed to all manner of "regional" dialects, and nobody elsewhere on Earth will understand a word you are saying if you emulate them.
- @Brick23
Al Jazeera English is usually a good choice for proper English pronunciation as well.
- @Brick23
I always took a contrary position with my students.   Admittedly this has more to do with listening than speaking.  At the intermediate or higher level, I actively encouraged them to listen to English speakers from places other than US/Canada and England.   In particular, there is a lot of material available from the Indian subcontinent and there are people coming from there to work in Vietnam.   I related the fact that one of my neighbors worked for Coca-Cola, at the top levels, directly under an Indian manager.   They also need to listen to people from Hong Kong and Singapore especially as they could end up going to school or work in the latter (but sadly probably no longer Hong Kong.)  These are all people in the world of business with whom Vietnamese may find themselves interacting.  My apartment house had a few Nigerian entrepreneurs who also spoke with a unique accent.   These people hired several seamstresses, a lot further down the income scale than my neighbor at Coca-Cola,  and presumably communicated with them in English

In a more extreme case, one of the teachers at my middle school was a Glaswegian.  I could scarcely understand him if I listened intently but his 7th graders could understand him just fine.   There are perhaps more dialectical differences within England than there are throughout the prior empire.
Youtube is your best bet. watch talk shows or "how to" shows on subjects you enjoy (less boring) and use the subtitles feature. Rewind as often as needed. Giving yourself only one month to improve your English is going to be a challenge. Good luck and I hope you get the job :)
My english level A1.

- @Ng Sunny
Twice daily conversation with a native English speaker.

Meet every morning and evening for coffee, or walking together.
- @OceanBeach92107

This is very good advice. I have been used as a native speaker while in China. Simple conversations helps them immensely. If you base English training was American then speak with American English persons if  British training the stick with some who speaks that kind of English. Pronunciation and different words can be quite confusing to a beginner.
@Ng Sunny

Hi Sunny.

To both improve your English and increase your vocabulary, I strongly suggest you focus on English tenses (past, present, future as well as plurals). One month should be enough time for you to be comfortable.

There are a number of excellent videos available, and while learning English tense you will be using new words and phrases in example sentences.

Good luck with your job prospect.

(I have no association with any videos provided in this link)
@OceanBeach92107

Thank you so much, I will try more
Good morning evrey body!

I am grateful in advance all. I need try more and more 1f60a.svg.

I wish all have a nice day.

Sunny
The biggest issues for most Vietnamese are, past tense, pluralization and prepositions.
dating with GI .1f600.svg
The biggest issues for most Vietnamese are, past tense, pluralization and prepositions.
- @colinoscapee

I'm still working with my wife and daughter on those three.  They are doing quite well, though.  I always remind myself they are doing much better than me with my Vietnamese.  With the daughter in a US high school she is catching up quickly and is now correcting mom's grammar.
@hphuong0007

Not quite sure how focusing on anything related to Gastro-Intestinal will help Sunny with her job application, unless of course it's with a GI unit at a hospital.
dating with GI

XKbzmu.jpg
- @colinoscapee

When I noticed my students dropping final "S" sounds I did some asking around and found that other than, although the language contains the sound in other places in words, no native Vietnamese words end in "S".   Of course in English this sound is essential for both plurals and possessives.  Many of them may be thinking the S but not voicing it.  I noticed that when they pronounced the word alone they would include the sound.  Based on that, I found that a solution is to have them pause after words with S endings.   Once this becomes habitual they will naturally drop the pauses.

The problem with past tense may also be mostly pronunciation based on the D-T shift depending on whether the prior consonants are voiced or unvoiced.   There are several good YouTubes on this.
- @colinoscapee

When I noticed my students dropping final "S" sounds I did some asking around and found that other than, although the language contains the sound in other places in words, no native Vietnamese words end in "S".   Of course in English this sound is essential for both plurals and possessives.  Many of them may be thinking the S but not voicing it.  I noticed that when they pronounced the word alone they would include the sound.  Based on that, I found that a solution is to have them pause after words with S endings.   Once this becomes habitual they will naturally drop the pauses.

The problem with past tense may also be mostly pronunciation based on the D-T shift depending on whether the prior consonants are voiced or unvoiced.   There are several good YouTubes on this.
- @THIGV

The main problem for Vietnamese using past tense is that in Vietnamese they don't conjugate the verb they use đã as a tense marker. You are correct about the final sound pronunciation.
@Ng Sunny

A story:

My Mexican student in America asked me the same question. He was in middle school. Age 13 from Tijuana, Mexico. He and his father had newspaper delivery to do every morning. He crossed into America to help his father, early in the morning. His father worked in San Diego, California, in America.
My students name was Humberto.

I asked him where he played after school?

He told me: " I play with my friends in Mexico.

I told  Humberto to spend more with English speakers in San Diego. It will help. (His Grandmother lives in San Diego, California. He spent more time at his Grandmother.

He did and his school grades became better in English. This is about  his education and time spent listening and speaking.

Find time to spend more time with English speakers, along with your regular learning of the language.

I hope this helps you.

Mac
@Ng Sunny

to make major gains you need to "actively participate" in the language. That is not just watch tv or listen to music. but engage with others. you must speak or write ,not just listen or read. This is true of any skill: you don't get good at football by watching.

I humorously suggest 3 ways: (1) Go to America or Britain; (2) Get a job (waitress?) in  a place with mostly English customers, or (3) get an American/British boyfriend
@Ng Sunny, the football analogy
( analogy = example) is a good one. One more thought, find phrases and ideas you like in Viet. Using paper and pencil, for 30 minutes per day, translate them ah, ah, ah, ...pencil and paper only now! Translate them into English. Next, look at the meaning in the eye of your mind, repeat the phrases 15 times out loud.  Next day do the same, but pencil and paper again. I see there are several teachers here, from the heart, telling you keep going!
Mac
@Ng Sunny
Hello!
Improving English in a month looks like a challenge. I highly recommend you to concentrate on a specific vocabulary, business conversations, writing, and reading that will be used in a desirable job.
The first time you wouldn't need to memorize a tonnage of slang, informal idioms and sayings, offensive words and phrases and inappropriate vocabulary. It comes later in the course of time.
And one moment I advise you to consider international companies with most non-native English speakers who use English as a working language. It wouldn't be so hard/scary to speak with them with mistakes. Of course, in order to speak and write like a high-educated native it requires more than one year.

All the best, Erzhena