Planning to retire from Uk

Hello everyone

I live in the Uk, and have been looking into retiring early to Mexico. It looks as though Huatalco could be a great choice.

I plan to retire in 2 years so would be 56.

I wouldn't have a Uk govt pension income until I was 67, but if I had enough to provide a monthly income of £1500 for the next 12 years until I'm 67 would that be considered in terms of applying for a visa to reside there. What is the process is this realistic in my circumstances?

Could I rent a spacious 2 bed flat walkable to amenities cheaply? Im thinking around equivalent of $450 per month in this area?

I would be interested to hear your points of view.

Thank you,

Sharon.

monitorfalcons0g wrote:

Hello everyone

I live in the Uk, and have been looking into retiring early to Mexico. It looks as though Huatalco could be a great choice.

I plan to retire in 2 years so would be 56.

I wouldn't have a Uk govt pension income until I was 67, but if I had enough to provide a monthly income of £1500 for the next 12 years until I'm 67 would that be considered in terms of applying for a visa to reside there. What is the process is this realistic in my circumstances?

Could I rent a spacious 2 bed flat walkable to amenities cheaply? Im thinking around equivalent of $450 per month in this area?

I would be interested to hear your points of view.

Thank you,

Sharon.

That's not enough income for legal temporary residency Sharon.

Mexico has been raising the minimum income requirements for some time now.

Google:

"Financial Criteria for Legal Residency in Mexico 2022"

That will bring up the most recent information from a website which is competitive with this one (thus, under the forum code of conduct, I'm not going to share the direct link with you).

Good luck whatever you do.

O.B.

Thank you O.B I could prove double that but I would not be spending that.

My main concern is could I live on £1500 per month which is about $1900 including a rent of $450.

Can you rent somewhere in this area for $450 walkable to amenities

Someone on you tube posts she does but she lives in Mazatlan

Sharon

monitorfalcons0g wrote:

Thank you O.B I could prove double that but I would not be spending that.

My main concern is could I live on £1500 per month which is about $1900 including a rent of $450.

Can you rent somewhere in this area for $450 walkable to amenities

Someone on you tube posts she does but she lives in Mazatlan

Sharon

Currently, £1,500 is worth $2,041.80 USD and $450 USD is £330.59

I think it's fair to say that most expats in Mexico prefer to deal in pesos, as dollar pricing is invariably inflated, at least enough to cover exchange commissions for the landlord.

Based on the searches I've done regarding HUATULCO, If your tastes are simple, it should be possible to find something long-term in La Crucecita, Oaxaca, Mexico that would be within walking distance to amenities.

We have at least one active forum member aliceah who lives in that area and she is very helpful in providing information.

Hopefully she will see this thread and reply to you.

There are a few face.book groups for Huatulco and Oaxaca where you will receive quick responses to almost any pertinent inquiries.

Good luck with your search!

O.B.

One site I read a few times mentioned two different standards for proving income for purposes of getting temporary residence. One is called UMA which was launched I am guessing some time ago. I am not sure which embassies use that and which use the monthly income. Here is the information on that site.

https://www.mexperience.com/financial-c … in-mexico/

I am not sure which embassies out of Mexico use what standard. The UMA has appeared much lower than monthly incomes. Just something to consider. I am also not sure how accurate the site is above but they do publish blog posts and information quite often.

At one point I was considering temporary residence but I would have probably chosen Merida to live in. I did not seek out monthly rents but I can say Merida is a beautiful and safe city and I've had a lot of fun with my months here. I'm leaving Mexico though in a few weeks so I stopped looking for embassies that may support UMA. I emailed a few in the US which is where I would have to start the process and some seemed to have different standards for monthly income but only differing really on a few dollars or tens of dollars. Not thousands of dollars.

Edit:

I just read the site again as I had not seen the 2022 version of it and it appears that most Mexican consulates outside of Mexico are using the higher standard and not UMA while Mexican immigration use UMA. Again, I don't know how truthful or valid all this is since I stopped looking.

Thank you for your helpful comments.  I have a lot of homework to do  📚

Thank you O.B.  for your response I was using exchange rates I'd googled here in the Uk. as a guideline. I have lived in Europe and the US and I'm well travelled. I know that once you are a local you get to know where to eat out (hidden gems) away from the tourists. My theory is you can live in the Uk for £1500 so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that in Mexico. I have seen the place you mention on you tube. I think I need to book a vacation to explore these areas and talk to locals.

monitorfalcons0g wrote:

Thank you O.B.  for your response I was using exchange rates I'd googled here in the Uk. as a guideline. I have lived in Europe and the US and I'm well travelled. I know that once you are a local you get to know where to eat out (hidden gems) away from the tourists. My theory is you can live in the Uk for £1500 so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that in Mexico. I have seen the place you mention on you tube. I think I need to book a vacation to explore these areas and talk to locals.

Sure, that's a good enough budget for monthly living expenses.

I was initially simply replying to your question:

"I wouldn't have a Uk govt pension income until I was 67, but if I had enough to provide a monthly income of £1500 for the next 12 years until I'm 67 would that be considered in terms of applying for a visa to reside there."

The amount necessary for a visa application and the amount necessary for a living budget in Huatulco, Oaxaca are two totally different things.

Best of luck in getting all of the information you need.

I agree that a visit to the area is most likely necessary before making a firm decision to move.

Is that 450 US dollars? Prices are going up. and by the time you get here in a couple years that will not be a possibility. I have lived in Huatulco since Feb 2021. I am renting a 2 bedroom condo in Crucecita, town center for 9500 pesos. That price is only because I know the owner and he was tired of doing it as airbnb and wants someone like me, who takes care of things, to live there all year round. Everyone else here is paying 13000 to 16000 pesos. Those are long term rental prices. Short term is more money. The place I live has a pool. Right now can rent a studio apartment no pool for 5000 pesos a month.  Also the financial requirements for immigration have increased and may increse next year again. You can find that info on line. Sorry to rain on your parade. There is a lot of developement going on. Right now can buy a condo in the complex where i live Cojunta El Mirador for around 100,000 US.  You may consider coming here and buying something which I would guess will go up in value. Rent it until you can retire. Also owning property here can give you a foot in as far as immigration.  Best of luck. Where there's a will there's a way.

I can rent a 2 bed apartment with communal pool in Cyprus for Euro 350 per month.

It's interesting comparing countries and what they are charging.

I am getting the impression that it was cheap in a Mexico but now it's not so cheap.

Yes buying could be an option too.

All options will be considered.

Thank you for your input.

monitorfalcons0g wrote:

I can rent a 2 bed apartment with communal pool in Cyprus for Euro 350 per month.

It's interesting comparing countries and what they are charging.

I am getting the impression that it was cheap in a Mexico but now it's not so cheap.

Yes buying could be an option too.

All options will be considered.

Thank you for your input.

It's still very very cheap in Mexico.

Unless you want something very very nice.

Hi I just found the youtube channel about Huatulco that had been lost. Cindy and Fred started over with this channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2e2WhjLz9k  youtube channel called Life in Huatulco website https://www.lifeinhuatulco.com/  apparently now they are also posting info about Oaxaca.

Thank you I have seen some you tube videos but will certainly check those ones out

Hi Aliceah

Can you tell me what estate agents sell in MXN LOCAL CURRENCY I'm looking for MXN 2,000,000 what could I get for that price in Huatalco?

Thanks Sharon

Most all places are sold in pesos.  I've not done research about real estate cuz not in position to buy. However youtubers Fred and Cindy Life in huatulco may be able to direct you. Also there is a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/545832165582787 Huatulco What's up happening I suggest you ask there.

Thank you Aliceah. I'm not sure I want to buy. Ideally I like the idea of renting if I'm going to live there. I will book a holiday this year and perhaps hook up with retired expats to learn more.