No Impediment To Marriage Certificate - Visa D Scam

Hi, has anyone requested the "No Impediment To Marriage Certificate" from a Canadian Embassy anywhere in the world (such as Canada itself) and successfully submitted it to a Bulgarian town hall where marriages are registered?

Apparently, there is a law in Bulgaria that Canadians must obtain this document ONLY from the Canadian Embassy in Bucharest. We are investigating this law but it makes no logical sense because it's a Canadian document not a Romanian one.

We tried to get the service lady to write down the law because we cannot find it on a public website. It doesn't appear to be a transparent rule because this print was not mentioned in any of our research for foreign marriages in Bulgaria.

I'm suspecting that there is some corruption in this law because why would the old Bulgarian government grant only the Canadian Embassy in specifically Bucharest that extra power to approve Canadian documents when it's not even a Romanian document? Also, I'm not a Romanian citizen either.

Anyone have thoughts on why this piece of document needs to be issued solely by the Canadian Embassy in Bucharest and not just any Canadian Embassy?

Note: When I say a scam I mean it's a giant wild goose chase and this whole procedure is run painfully inefficiently. xD

Can't advise specifically unfortunately, but we got married recently, it was easier to elope! Had issues trying to get a certificate from the UK embassy.

We went to Gibraltar, it was relatively easy and didn't require a ream of notarized documents.

Most countries, including Bulgaria, have a requirement for documentation to prove you are eligible to be married. That's the "Certificate of No Impediment", or its equivalent. But the laws don't get into detail about where or how it's issued, so certainly would not specify a particular embassy!

This certificate is very standard, and it's generally issued somewhere in your country of citizenship... or one of their embassies internationally. Some may require your personal presence, but others (most?) can do it remotely.

However, it's important to note that the certificate alone is not sufficient! It's a legal document, and so it needs to be legalized/apostilled for use internationally, and it needs a certified translation in the language of the country it will be used in.

We have Bulgarian residence, and we're a LT unmarried couple, so according to EU directives, we have a "durable" relationship and should be recognized as a married couple. On our recent adventure to get Spanish residence, they nonsensically insisted I provide this certificate (so I applied in relation to our forthcoming marriage, and then we simply didn't proceed with the marriage). The UK Embassy in Madrid had all the info online, I sent them my documents (and payment), and they sent me the certificate within a couple of weeks. It was very easy.

If I had done it via the UK (which is possible, of course) I would have had to do the extra steps of legalization and translation. But they recommended (not required!) doing it at the Embassy in Madrid. This was because it was issued in Spain, and it simplified the requirements by being accepted as is (in Spain, only).

So... in your case... a Canada-issued (or, say, the Canadian Embassy in London issued) document needs the legalization/apostillation step... and the certified Bulgarian translation step. Neither of these are difficult, but they do take time/money. But if you do these steps, then I'd expect your certificate to be accepted without any issue.

My guess is that the Canadian Embassy locally can shortcut this step, just as the Madrid Embassy did for me. It's specified as Bucharest as that's the Embassy... while Sofia only has a Consulate / Honorary Consul. So Bucharest is not 100% necessary, but it should be easier. And it's close, so it's not a big deal to go there for an appointment if it can't be done by mail.

So not a wild goose chase (or scam) at all, I think. But merely a bit of a communication breakdown in explaining it. :-) Plus it shouldn't be hard to confirm this directly with either the Canadian Embassy in Bucharest or the Canadian Consul in Sofia.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

"However, it's important to note that the certificate alone is not sufficient! It's a legal document, and so it needs to be legalized/apostilled for use internationally, and it needs a certified translation in the language of the country it will be used in."

"So... in your case... a Canada-issued (or, say, the Canadian Embassy in London issued) document needs the legalization/apostillation step... and the certified Bulgarian translation step. Neither of these are difficult, but they do take time/money. But if you do these steps, then I'd expect your certificate to be accepted without any issue."

The Canadian Certificate of No Impediment To Marriage has been authenticated and legalized, translated and legalized by the Bulgarian Embassy. All of that admin work has been completed. The issue is that our current municipality does not accept this and insists it come from the Canadian Embassy in Bucharest instead (even though it's the same paper).

"Most countries, including Bulgaria, have a requirement for documentation to prove you are eligible to be married. That's the "Certificate of No Impediment", or its equivalent. But the laws don't get into detail about where or how it's issued, so certainly would not specify a particular embassy!"

When we asked the official to write down this law and sign the name it was refused and we got screamed at (:D) so I have suspicions about this "law." We are in the process of resolving this issue by trying to do this process at another municipality and we have received some positive feedback so far. So not all is lost:)

It was definitely a wild goose chase for us as it costed a plane ticket to the nearest Canadian Embassy outside Bulgaria to get the necessary documents we needed because Bulgaria doesn't have a Canadian Embassy. The Canadian Consul in Sofia doesn't speak English and cannot perform any Canadian consular services. The last time we called she told us she's too busy with elections to take calls.

[Post deleted]

Well... wild goose chase is "a foolish and hopeless search for or pursuit of something unattainable". But it sounds like you went to Bucharest, and you attained the fabled document. Hence, you have the goose... and you will soon be happily married. So why are you so annoyed? :-)

All the info is here:
https://www.foreigner.bg/get-married-bulgaria/

"Well... wild goose chase is "a foolish and hopeless search for or pursuit of something unattainable". But it sounds like you went to Bucharest, and you attained the fabled document. Hence, you have the goose... and you will soon be happily married. So why are you so annoyed? :-)"

I didn't go to Bucharest.

Ah that's a good point, I guess this check is more for Bulgarians, Romanians and Moldovans who are submitting Canadian documents. From my research, The Canadian Embassy in Bucharest represents Embassy of Canada to Romania, the Republic of Bulgaria and the Republic of Moldova so I guess it's specifically for those three groups of people.

There's probably a higher possibility of fraud from their own citizens in Romania, Bulgaria and Moldova than on the Canadian side? I think Bulgarian authorities didn't factor in an edge case, which is if a Canadian wanted to apply for their visa rather than the other way around. However, in my case they checked my ID and knew I was not from those three countries but I still had a valid Canadian document.

I'm sorry that you find it all so frustrating and confusing. But it's bureaucracy, it occurs everywhere (including the wonderful Canada)! I totally agree that bureaucracy is annoying, but it's not a "wild goose chase" or a "scam". We just have to read their requirements and comply. Or not read and not comply... and not get the visa. :-)

In particular, your case is not an "edge case". It's exactly a typical case: a foreigner who wants a Bulgarian D visa prior to applying for residence. :-)

Lots of folks find it challenging, and it would be nice if embassy staff were more helpful. But they tend to be busy, and phone calls are usually unwelcome. In these Covid times, appointments too! So your best bet is usually to send a nice email. You'll most likely need to interact with both a Canadian Embassy and a Bulgarian Embassy. The Bulgarian Embassy in London, for example, I've heard from other posters here, is rather unresponsive even to emails. That's because they've put all the D visa information online... and have given step-by-step instructions for how to submit an application. So they seem to be rather miffed with folks who can't be bothered to read them! :-) Embassies don't usually hire monolingual staff, so it would be very unusual if they didn't speak some English. But, even so, a written email is easier to translate.

This document check is for all foreigners getting married in Bulgaria, regardless of nationality.

It's a completely standard requirement in most countries, not just Bulgaria, to present your (recent) certificate of no impediment.

Said certificate, as a legal document, if not issued in Bulgaria, and not written in Bulgarian, must be apostilled/legalized and have a certified translation. This is also a standard requirement by many countries for legal documents not issued in the country/language where you try to use it.

Therefore, you can obtain your CONI wherever you want, there is no restriction on your freedom of choice in this regard, and you don't have to go to Bucharest if you don't want to. If you're still in Canada, for example, then you'd get it there. (In which case, you'd do the legalization/apostille step there too, but get the certified translation from an official Bulgarian translator registered here in Bulgaria.)

However, the CONI issued by Canadian Embassy in Bucharest simplifies these requirements for marriages taking place in Romania and Bulgaria. It's nothing to do with fraud. And not limited to citizens of the Balkan countries.

So, if an official recommended that you go to the Canadian Embassy in Bucharest, it was neither a requirement nor a law. They weren't being difficult either, they were trying to help you. Hence demanding chapter and verse of the Bulgarian marriage laws would not make you popular.

Likewise, nowhere does it specify a Bulgarian marriage. If you don't like the way that Bulgaria deals with it, you are also free to get married in Canada or elsewhere instead. Bulgaria will accept marriage certificates from most countries, not just Bulgaria! Just make sure he really is a Bulgarian... otherwise it won't work. :-) I haven't had to flash a marriage cert anywhere, but my guess is that a non-Bulgarian one would also need the extra steps to get it legalized/apostilled and providing a certified translation.

And, just FYI... Bulgaria immigration kinda thinks that Bulgarian men are a valuable commodity being sucked into fake marriages with scheming foreign women. Perhaps they mostly worry about poor girls from Ukraine and Moldova... and assume rich girls from USA and Canada won't do such a thing. But please be aware... and make sure you keep documentation about your extensive prior relationship, just in case they get picky on you.

What she is is saying is that she has the certificate from Canada and is not accepted by the local authorities because it is not authorized/legalized by the Bucharest embassy but by the one in Toronto.

Are you sure? That's not at all clear from her post!

Possibly, you may be right, that she has the CONI from Canada.

But if it's not legalized... and/or not translated... then it won't be accepted. These steps are not done by the office that issues the CONI. So if you just grab it and rock up to a marriage office in Bulgaria it's not gonna work.

So the option is to go to Bucharest and get a new one (because it won't need these 2 extra steps)... or send the Toronto document back to Canada to get legalized... then send it back to Bulgaria and get a certified translation done here... then take it to the marriage office. You pays your money and you takes your choice - but it's one or the other.

If it's from Canada... and duly legalized... and with a certified Bulgarian translation... and they still won't accept it... then, yeah, that's messed up and I can understand anyone being annoyed. But pretty sure that's not the case.

The wedding requirements are pretty clearly stated (I posted them already), and they don't mention Bucharest!

As an extra wrinkle here's what Canada says (and specifically mentions the "nearest embassy", which, here in Bulgaria, would be Bucharest):

Statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad

"A certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad” is a certificate that confirms there are no objections to a proposed marriage or civil partnership. It is sometimes required if you are planning a ceremony abroad.

Canada does not issue certificates of non-impediment. Instead, we can prepare a statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad (“in lieu of” means “instead of”.)

If you are already abroad, you may be able to obtain this document from your nearest Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate. Consular services provided at Canadian missions abroad are subject to fees under the Consular Fees (Specialized Services) Regulations.

https://www.international.gc.ca/gac-amc … x?lang=eng

Here's another interesting one that indicates the CONI not even required in some countries.

Government of Canada
UnitedKingdom.gc.ca

Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage

For marriages in the UK there is no requirement for Canadian citizens to obtain a certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad or any other document from the Canadian High Commission.

If you are to get married elsewhere, please check the requirements with the authorities of the country concerned.

Certain countries do ask for a certificate of non-impediment to marriage issued by the Canadian authorities. The Canadian Government does not issue these certificates, but some countries may require a statement confirming that this is the case.  This is called a statement in lieu of a certificate of non-impediment to marriage.  Please contact the Canadian embassy in the country concerned in order to establish the requirements for Canadians getting married locally. The statement may have to be issued in that country in the national language. Please consult the list of Canadian embassies and consulates for email addresses and websites.

https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/u … x?lang=eng

Therefore... it's not Bulgaria's fault at all. :-) They ask for CONI... that's legalized in the country of issue... and with a certified Bulgarian translation.

And Canada says they don't issue CONIs... so you gotta get a substitute... from the nearest embassy. Which is in Bucharest.

"If it's from Canada... and duly legalized... and with a certified Bulgarian translation... and they still won't accept it... then, yeah, that's messed up and I can understand anyone being annoyed. But pretty sure that's not the case."

This is the case.

"Therefore... it's not Bulgaria's fault at all. :-) They ask for CONI... that's legalized in the country of issue... and with a certified Bulgarian translation."

And Canada says they don't issue CONIs... so you gotta get a substitute... from the nearest embassy. Which is in Bucharest.

The statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad from Canada was not an issue. The issue was the statement in lieu of certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad from Canada is not from Bucharest.

"I'm sorry that you find it all so frustrating and confusing. But it's bureaucracy, it occurs everywhere (including the wonderful Canada)! I totally agree that bureaucracy is annoying, but it's not a "wild goose chase" or a "scam". We just have to read their requirements and comply. Or not read and not comply... and not get the visa. :-)"

Not your fault but my partner and I are working with some people to draft some new and improved policies for Bulgaria. With the new government in charge (who was a Canadian and graduated in the top ranks in Harvard) we are hopeful to make a dent.

I mean it's going to be a long and tedious process but I think many Bulgarians will be grateful that more people are stepping up to challenge draconian laws and make changes to the current constitution.

I don't expect you to believe me but I think with hard work from educated people, Bulgaria can become much more than its current state.

You are going to try to change the Bulgarian constitution?

That's a big ask! And probably one of those thankless tasks too... as I don't imagine folks will be suitably grateful, even if you were to achieve your aims.

Which is not to say I disagree with you. It's an interesting change to see a more westernized guy get elected... and certainly the country has some significant issues that it should address.

Hopefully, you and your partner will focus more on corruption and big impact legislation... rather than marriage certificates. :-)

You are very brave, and I hope you make some progress.

Or, if not, you persuade your friend in high places to let you build a dacha on the Black Sea coast. :-)

There is only an Honorary Consul of Canada to Bulgaria in Sofia which can't do what you require. This is the same for all over the world. Your nearest Embassy is in Romania.

I am sorry if you find this is wrong but there is nothing you can do about it.