New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Belize forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Belize if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello everyone! I'm a high school science teacher in Georgia. I plan on retiring after next school year. My girlfriend and I are planning on moving  to Belize hopefully during summer or fall of 2023. I have visited Ambergris Caye a few times and it feels like home. I can't wait to be there full time!

Hi Stacy!  I'm in Belize now on vacation. We've been here one week and still have one more to go.   It doesn't get better than this!  We may be moving down here around the same time. Lol

My fiancé and I are coming back in June and staying for the month.

I can't get enough.

:)yes it is nice ..so is CC...hope it all works out... :)

I just spent 4 days in Hopkins Bay. Small town but has what you need including a nice beach and dining/bar options. Not sure if Omicron will change that but folks were very aware of masking, etc. it sounds like a good price for a rental. I would love to hear if anyone has thoughts or options for Placencia or further south. Yah better Belize it is a nice place to be!!

Hello all  :cheers:

My husband and I adore Belize and recently closed on a half acre of land on the Western side of Ambergris Caye... just a 5 minute walk to Secret Beach! We'll be starting the clearing and home building process soon and hope to be there full time in about 18 months.

We're also brainstorming some commercial opportunities as we're both in our late 20s, so we'll need to be generating some income since we're not quite ready to retire. Looking forward to meeting and learning more about the country and cayes.

Many congratulations Mrs & Mr Fisher.

That is a great power move and therefore you should both very proud of yourselves especially for being so young.

I avail myself for any questions you may have

Good Morning
  I have been actively researching and planning to retire on a beach somewhere.  I have been to Belize a few times on vacation.  Planning a trip down 1st week of June 2022 to check out Caye Caulker.   Would like to connect with other expats who consider themselves successful in the transition from the US.  I have read tons of threads , articles and blogs about expat fails.  For the most part none apply to my situation.  So I have switched from why not to do this to, if im going to do it , do it right!   
   Currently I own a sm ranch in Texas, about 20 miles from civilization.  The quiet slow pace of the Cayes is appealing.   i would welcome any advice on renting, buying , building etc.  I read and hear about planning, i have one, but i have learned that plans are only written to be changed. So this trip is to personally make some contacts and begin the process.   
  Maintaining contacts and developing a network of support is invaluable.  Anyone who is kind enough to reach out and offer me advice can expect I will return the favor in any way I can.   Life is like good cooking,  Fast and hot, or low and slow,  both provide spectacular results if the correct ingredients are used.   My challenge is to find the low ans slow pot I best fit in.   thank you in advance   Jerry   aka Ahab  ( ya ya i know cliche nickname for islands, but was given to me 30+ years ago.  in person meetings can get the full story.  )

:) Hello i love CC that where i plan to live....look on youtube for Dennis kay for buying....im just looking to rent before buying...i just want to be sure first :)  i like going to the beach in san pedro...i was right at home in CC :)  well good luck we guys will have to plan coming together on the beach to meet..and support each other....Salah :cheers:

:) gulf car :)

:):) Stacy B im also coming from stone mtn ga....organizing meet up for support..along with other things :)  hope to meet seen.... :cheers: Salah

mschionesu wrote:

:) Hello i love CC that where i plan to live....look on youtube for Dennis kay for buying....im just looking to rent before buying...i just want to be sure first :)  i like going to the beach in san pedro...i was right at home in CC :)  well good luck we guys will have to plan coming together on the beach to meet..and support each other....Salah :cheers:

I have several lifetime friends in the Atlanta area.  i intend on renting as well.  My current plan as written is to rent for first yr, and have enough cash in bank to cover, expenses for first and second yr in advance.  Purchasing a place is in the budget, but will need to be there to supervise the building or refit of owned property.  i have seen Dennis you tube channel.  I will schedule an appt w him while im there in June.  my timeline is to be full time beach bum in 2-3 yrs.  with many trips between now and then.

You might want to check out Sarteneja. It is a very small fishing village in the Corozal area. There's not much there now, but the road from Corozal is being improved and hopefully completed in five or so years, which will bring more people and businesses there in the future. We bought two adjoining lots of land about five miles north of Sarteneja in Waree Bight, one is on the water (Corozal Bay). Boat access only at this time. Incredible place of beauty and very quiet. There are even a few Mayan ruins next to us. We will not entirely clear the land because we like the palm trees and the shade they bring. Hoping to put up an 800 sf home for ourselves and two little hotel room sized cabanas for family and friends. We will be off-grid, grow a lot of our own food, raise chickens and harvest the rain water. That's the dream anyway. Good luck to you!

Caye Caulker is the main reason we fell in love with Belize. But, by the time we were ready to buy Caye Caulker was too expensive by then. We rode around the island with our realtor, but the only thing left in our price range was a lot behind another house on the water and would have given us a three foot viewing area of the ocean between houses or a plot of land in the middle with no ocean views and lots of flooding during the rainy season. We ended up near Sarteneja, but have ocean front land at half the price as Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. Once the road improvements from Corozal to Sarteneja are done, we may be able to connect our land to it as it's boat access only at this time.

i do not have a car and have been coming here since 2010.  We finally built in 2013...moved in then.  My husband got a very good new inexpensive scooter from Mexico to go to play darts, goes with friends to play golf, takes a cheap taxi bus to go to the Free Zone where there is also gambling.  Some expats play bingo or poker.  There are a lot of expats here to choose from people who have similar interests as your friends.  The Pan American highway goes through the town and taxis are cheap and plentiful.  There are lots of stores, a hospital, lots of medical and dental services, and the airport.  Town water and garbage plckup are excellent in Corozal, and our neighbors do not have dogs that bark all night.  WE are on an expat quiet cul de sac, the sea on one side and houses across the street on a canal.  Choose what suits you and I belleve you will find it here.

Hi!

My husband and I are planning on relocating to Belize within the next 2-3 years. We are in our mid-30s so will both be working virtually for US companies as we are not at the point we can consider retirement anytime soon. We have vacationed in Belize several times and always planned on retiring there, but have recently decided why wait?

We are still very much in the exploratory phase and are looking at either purchasing land now and building later on (we will need the funds from the sale of our house in Texas to be able to build or purchase an already built home), or moving into a long term rental (potentially in a few different locations) to determine where exactly we want to purchase. Our main incentive to purchase soon is the rising price of land, but we are hesitant to purchase without being fully sure of where we want to be. We will be coming back to visit Corozal soon and in the meantime are doing all the research we can to prepare for this move! We are open to any and all advice :)

~Kristen

Hello everyone!! My flatmate & I are moving to Maya Beach July 1. We've already secured housing & are going to work remotely. We're coming from San Diego (I'm a native to Los Angeles; roommate from lllinois). We obviously know what it's like to live in a vacation destination.  Both of us have lived internationally before. We love the peninsula & researched & I traveled back many times until we found the right place. I'm moving for the people, their culture & all that is Belize. The water, the reef, the ruins and wildlife-aquatic & land.People who live in SoCal are dicks, native or transplant. I know how to grocery shop & traveling to Chetumal for stuff. My looming concern is about the actual move. We are already complicated by having "different" pets coming down (3 rabbits & a guinea pig). And the what to pack, what is worth it, what can we chuck. We are in our late 50 & early 60s so there is "stuff". I'm leaning towards selling getting rid of basically everything (selling my beloved convertible Mini Cooper!!) Just bringing clothes basically. Our rental is fully furnished so I am not dragging plates & household appliances. But what about sheets and towels? I have very nice ones of both, but it is some packing space? Is it worth it to pack boxes and send them slow & cheap? Do we pay tax on items we ship to ourselves?
Any help is appreciated.  We count our lucky stars on the place we found on the lagoon, narrow area of the peninsula so only a 3-5 minute walk across to the sea. Hoping that having a place to move right in to upon arrival I think will be nice and less stressful. I think I may change my handle to SAN2BZE for the flight!!

This goes to Ahab. I think CC would be perfect. You can live on the opposite side North of the Split. Also you might like Hopkins.

Billy and Leslie Berrey 
We are retired law enforcement and R/N
We are not moving there we have friends who own a home and we are visiting them in may, and hopefully more in the future.

Hi, I'm from Central Europe. I am an educator and my family and I are considering moving to Belize. The wife is a nurse. We both love nature and peace. due to the lack of knowledge of the English language, we want to focus on agriculture.

@Rado74 

If you need someone to teach you English, please let me know. I am a Teacher. 

@shemekarobinson1 

you are very kind, we appreciate it, I try to learn vocabulary and I don't solve grammar yet. I follow the rules that life will teach me. We also take a son who is 19 years old and who speaks a little English.

Hi, I'm from Central Europe. I am an educator and my family and I are considering moving to Belize. The wife is a nurse. We both love nature and peace. due to the lack of knowledge of the English language, we want to focus on agriculture.

- @Rado74
As I am sure you already know English is the official language of Belize. However because many Hispanic folks are here too, Spanish would also be a very useful  language for your family to learn.

You say, "we want to focus on agriculture". Do you mean starting or buying a farm?
If so, I have friends that because of health reasons are looking to sell a farm they have been running near Independence Belize Stann Creek District, for a couple of decades. They both speak several language's including German. The husband is currently in Germany,  just in case that might be your location.

If you would like, I can pass your email address to them.   There is a link to send private message (rectangle) at top right of the page.
hello,am Samuel by name my wife EDD is closer ,we planned moving to Belize for Birth Tourism

can anybody help me with the best hospital to contact as regards that
furthermore i will appreciate if anyone can help me with accomodation infomation in Belize.

Am a Nigeria.
hello,am Samuel by name my wife EDD is closer ,we planned moving to Belize for Birth Tourism

can anybody help me with the best hospital to contact as regards that
furthermore i will appreciate if anyone can help me with accomodation infomation in Belize.

Am a Nigeria.
- @onisam52
WOW
I haver never heard of anyone coming to Belize for any kind of Medical reason.
Some folks here go to other countries for treatment as the medical facilities in Belize leave a lot to be desired.
Hey All,

Tj here.  I'm a newbie and I am getting real close to being able to make my dream of moving to Belize a reality.  It's a little intimidating doing this solo but I'm really getting excited about it because it is now getting very real.  I'm retired military and recently divorced so I have jad a few life changes happen but I am so ready to get on with living a slower pace life in paradise.  I'll be reading and posting where I can to gather more info but please feel free to send me any messages you think of because I know it will all help.  Thanks in advance.
@Julien

I am CC and I've just moved to San Ignacio.  I am really looking for friends to meet.  I am a creative kind of person who enjoys other's company.  Really would like to meet up.
@Julien
Hi !
My name is Renee.  Excited to meet everyone on this forum
Interested to support others and also gain connections and friendships.

I just bought property near Secret Beach. The plan is to build, rent the space when not there as I evolve to snow bird status for part of the year.

Please say hello, share any tips!

Can't wait to hear from you!

Renee
@Julien

Hi there . I moved to Belize about 15 months ago. My wife is Belizean and we met in California. After many visits here over years we decided to retire here. We live in Ladyville and love the sea breeze. We go to several resorts to enjoy the jungle here as both love to bird watch. Fishing is another thing we share with friends. Cheers everyone……oh and I am not US. I was born inLiverpool , England but worked for many years in California.
Hi all,

I am Paul and will be heading to Belize in a few months, October '22 is the plan. While I am hardy and rugged my better half is not so much. Due to the aggravating rejections we have faced getting her a visa to the US I am selling my home and moving to a place that will allow her(South African) to be with me for a substantially lower cost of living than the US.

Ideally we would rent a cheap flat then possibly find some rural(like very rural... mountains and jungle type) land on the off chance that we will be sticking around for a while until she gets her visa or we fall in love with Belize.

From my meager google searches it seems someplace off Hummingbird Highway would be the end goal, but until then a cheap flat $500-750 USD would hold us over. Not set on any city location just yet. Are there a lot of scams run on expats with rentals?
@Ahab1111    Hi Ahab, my wife and I moved here about 18 mos ago . We got a nice place inLadyville about 5 mins from airport.

We love being close to sea. There is a nice marina 3 mins walk away and I walk dogs to shore every day. About 15 mins at most.

We thought about cayes but even a large place like Caye Caulker can get small after a while. Most of our neighbors are locals even though may have lived in USA for some years

Very safe place and we have good friends here already. Please call if you want to discuss options . Tom *****
Moderated by Djameel last year
Reason : Please share contact details via private message, thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Hello!

My husband and I are moving to Belize in September and could not be more excited! We will be traveling from Oregon to Belize with 3 dogs and 2 chickens- so should be quite the  s l o w adventure :)

Any comments/thoughts/insights are welcome!

Vikki and Tony
Hello!

My husband and I are moving to Belize in September and could not be more excited! We will be traveling from Oregon to Belize with 3 dogs and 2 chickens- so should be quite the  s l o w adventure smile.png

Any comments/thoughts/insights are welcome!

Vikki and Tony
- @vikkiwhittum

Well, we know for sure you need  time sensitive paperwork from your vet to bring in the dogs.

But you better check directly with Belize customs to see if you can even bring in birds of any kind . Especially  now with world wide outbreaks of Avian flu.
@Ahab1111

Hi Jerry!  Would you be willing to share your sources for "expat fails"?  My hubby and I are Canadians living about 45 min SW of Toronto Ontario looking to make the move to Belize for our retirement (hopefully in about 3 years). I've just started my "recon mission" and would be grateful for any guidance in this regard. (we've signed on with a "tour" hosted by a Californian development that will be soon started between Hopkins and Placencia.

Thanks in advance

Leah
I've just started my "recon mission" and would be grateful for any guidance in this regard. (we've signed on with a "tour" hosted by a Californian development that will be soon started between Hopkins and Placencia.

Thanks in advance

Leah
- @LeahB123

OH MY.......
I wonder if this is part of the same group of California CON Artists that have been stop TWICE now.  Many people have lost millions at their lying hands. In 2018 The United States FTC requested the courts HALT a massive Scam named "Sanctuary Belize" . This resulted in a few folks going to jail, and caused the Largest International Belize bank: "Atlantic International Bank Ltd." to file for BANKRUPCY . This Belize bank was granting foreigners loans on the properties, even after they knew it was mostly a scam, bank employees were  part of the sales team.  Again millions were lost.

This huge property is located  on the coast just across the Sittee River South of Hopkins. You can see it on google maps. I drove through parts of it back then, they did complete a nice marina, and a few homes. Many lots had water lines with meters, miles of roads were carved out, jungle was cleared , it looked great......but most of the money was used for a luxury life style for the California scammers, not to finish the infostructure the buyers thought they would get.

PLEASE Google: FTC Sanctuary Belize Scam, and Atlantic International Bank Ltd. bankruptcy  and other terms similar to see for yourself. 

There is always the possibility this operation you mentioned is ok, but PLEASE PLEASE ask a LOT of questions of them before signing up for ANYTHING. 

The previous scammers had great websites, full length, professionally created video's to suck people in. Even some semi famous people were conned into being in videos and bought property without realizing they were being made part of the scam. They even had a nice News Letter they put out every few months, showing just enough alleged progress to keep hooking new folks.

Leah,
Please use this forums Private Message to send me the name of this project. i know a lot of local folks in and around Placencia.  I would like to make inquires  to see if they know anything about this.
Thanks
Hello everyone,

Gentle reminder: this discussion is ment for introductions.

Should you wish to discuss another topic, please create a new discussion.

Djameel
Expaqt.com Team

@Julien Howdy and thanks for the offer.  I have lived my life on the Texas Gulf Coast and retired from the railroad industry.  I am coming to Belize the latter part of August to check out the possibility of a permanent move there.  I have been particularly interested in the San Pedro area and my interests are fishing, beaches and music.  I would like any pointers on areas to visit and places to stay. 

Hi everyone, Hope you all well. Im Nqobizitha from Zimbabwe (Africa) I'm planning to visit Belize in august 2022
Hello, Belize is a beautiful country, and the people are quite unique. I've been in Belize for the past 6 years and will be repatriating to the US over the next few weeks. I'll have to settle my retirement affairs and will be more involved in helping my family. If anyone has any contact info for moving service providers, please feel free to share.

After I move back to the US, I'm planning to relocate to Germany, where I can be of support to my granddaughter, who recently got married. Her husband is in the military and will be traveling quite a bit. She just found out she's pregnant, so hopefully I'll be around to help her.
@Maryann Pg
Hello! Good luck with the repatriation, I'll keep my eyes out for shippers to the US.

Where are you located at, presently? And, where were you living before you moved to Belize?

Take care!
Closed