Flying during to Morocco during flight ban

I heard announcements that Morocco has banned all international flights due to Omicron, but
then I can book  a flight to Morocco on a travel website.   Can I
indeed travel to morocco via an airplane?

Flight ban is supposed to end 12/31

They did and airlines will sell tickets even if it is banned. That's why passengers should check https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … ravel.html before buying tickets. Also, this information changes monthly. They banned all incoming and outgoing flights, even with USA.

flights are susspended to and from morocco until 31st jan  they have extended it unfortunately

All flights from all countries, inbound and outbound (except for government officials, health workers and exceptional cases like those that need to return home) are banned until further notice. It was extended recently to the end of January 2022, but as the news of Omicron in Morocco is vague and the countries which were on the A-list do not have Omicron spread under control, I wouldn't hold my breath for borders to open up any time soon. The date will likely be extended further come January.

Third Dose/Boosters are finally under way at a faster rate (I am speaking on behalf of Canada, primarily) for A-list countries, so Morocco may have a specific target in mind (for example, 50% of foreign populations boostered) before borders open again. I know for a fact that is what they did for direct flights from Canada, without PCR testing, to resume. The situation was pretty bad in Morocco prior to Omicron when flights were restricted to B countries requiring PCR testing while A countries didn't (July to September), so the all country flight ban is likely a lessons learned response as Morocco is in the same continent as Omicron originated.

I have no affliation, but follow AtlasFlyer on Facebook or Twitter for more information about border ban extensions and flights. Said person has been translating the official news and posting on those social medias almost before news sites like Morocco World News. And you can get more information if you have questions which you may no get on news sites.

https://www.facebook.com/atlas.flyer.mahttps://twitter.com/MATravelAdvise

P.S. When I refer to A countries, I am talking about Visa-Free A countries like Canada, UK, USA, etc.

So what I'm your opinion is a realistic opening time? I desperately need to get to my wife.

Morocco has extended the ban on all international passenger flights to and from Morocco to the end of January 2022. There no guarantees that the border will open in February. My flight for January was cancelled.

Mrmonk7663 wrote:

So what I'm your opinion is a realistic opening time? I desperately need to get to my wife.

You are not alone with that sentiment. I, too, was planning to visit my wife in February/March and still hopeful I can around that time or delay until the summer.

There were special (repatriation) flights FROM Lisbon, Istanbul and Dubai to Morocco on the 22nd, so you missed your chance, if you had Moroccan residency or citizenship.

Realistically? I cannot say with any confidence. It depends on multiple factors because Omicron is more deadly than any other variant before it. Even with two vaccinationations, you can become severely sick or worse as the efficacy is reduced to less than 70%, while if you take a third dose, you can retain the 90+% efficacy. Effects, symptoms and condition also vary from vaccine to vaccine (i.e. Moderna with a higher efficacy versus Pzifer against Omicron).

And that, using data from other countries of vaccinations/boosters, really is the only plausible way government and airlines can use to open the border again. Of course, as Morocco relies on tourism for their economy, they don't want to close the border too long. Also, opening up too early would be a disaster if someone took an on-arrival PCR test in Morocco and tested positive, borders would immediately close again. Repatriation flights are a nightmare; very expensive, too. I know because I experienced it in September.

I think we are at the tail end of this COVID pandemic, so if we are able to get over Omicron, and nothing else spawns (keep in mind that Omicron mutated from a lab via testing of PCR tests), we should be seeing borders open up quicker than previous variants.

I think it's best to just get your third dose and wait about 2-4 months. Look at the data of all the A-list countries getting boosters or downward trend of cases (specific to omicron as non-omicron can just be anti-vax people or children that don't have two doses). Europe will be the first sign for a potential border opening, followed by UK, US and Canada.

I had Covid in Morocco already.  Was stuck their 6 weeks.  I'm vaccinated.  Booster isn't an option….they won't let you get it early.  But none of that matters.  Omicron is all over Morocco already.  It's there.  Closing the borders obviously didn't work. It's just frustrating.  I will rebook for February with the knowledge if I might have to rebook yet again. I have no residency but I am American so in the A List.

No . No flights to or from Morocco at this time.

The airlines will allow you to book flights as they can only anticipate when borders will re open. Its all a guessing game and happening all over the world.
If borders remain closed they will cancel the flight and allow you to re book.
It's happened to me five times now.
You just have to be patient.

Air France still has NOT cancelled their January flights, even though their system says no flights to Morocco.

As of yesterday or today, they have no flights to Morocco from Paris or New York. Seems like they have cancelled them. May have been delayed due to the holiday period (minimal staff at call centres that would be flooded).

No they are cancelled.  Mine got cancelled fully. I also got an email that said there were no reroute options.  There are flights in March though.