Tax on UK pension.

Hello,Im actually poaching for information  here as Im over from the Greece forum.Im asking any of you good people as no one much answers any questions over my [link moderated] stressed because I now shall receive a UK state pension but Im a tax resident here and the money will go into my bank account here,I dont want to pay the Gestapo tax office here any money from my pathetic little bit.I just read that I need to only pay here if I earnt the money here.The personal allowance in UK is around 12.000 and its far below that.Everyone has to fill in tax returns every year here,pay an accountant,not only self employed, in June.I just wont tell them but maybe they will see monies in my bank account,watching all the time.I wasnt asked if I wanted to be a tax resident here they just did it,but is it so that if Im a full time resident I have to be a tax resident too.I know a Brit woman here, she lives all the time here but is a tax resident in UK not here although she owns a house here. but maybe because she takes a rent from there,she avoids paying tax on her swimming pool. Its mind blowingly complicated,can anyone tell me please,Im scared these devils will take my money,thats all the Greek state does.Thankyou for a possibility of a reply.I often tune in to yous all,how life goes there.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Where you pay your taxes depends on your circumstances, primarily where you live for more than 183 days in the tax year and what it says in any tax treaty between the UK and in your case, Greece.  There is a treaty; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that may help you further.

My experience is that these treaties generally accept that all state pension income is taxed at source by the host country, so in your case, the UK (HMRC).  In the UK, this is simplified because the basic state pension is below your personal allowance, so HMRC should not tax it and if you wish, in most cases, you can have it paid directly into your overseas bank account.  Any other worldwide income or other private pensions will be assessed by the tax authorities where you are deemed resident, so in your case, Greece.  I have no idea about the tax system in Greece, so my advice would be to speak to a Greek tax advisor for further guidance; to find a decent one, ask your local Greek Bank for some advice.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thankyou very much for your reply,Im grateful.I think its possible to print off a form on line to send to UK to verify my pension for the Greek tax office,most people working in Greek banks and the general Greek bank attitude would not entice anyone especially a non Greek person to ever ask anything of them,they shout and scream at expats but not Greeks.Thanks again.

I am a UK citizen, resident in Turkey (looking at Bulgaria).
I am in receipt of a company pension, my state pension and a military pension (ie 2 government pensions).
I am obviously not aware of the details of your personal finances, nor your specific resident status in Greece; nor any dual tax/social security agreements between UK and Greece.
But, ANY pension where the source is HM Government (not company or private pensions), is taxable by HMRC before payment, regardless of your entitlement to personal allowances.  However, I have opted to nominate my larger pension (it's over 12k) as my 'prime source of income' and do have my personal allowances set against it.  Hence reducing the tax burden on that pension.  I have my pensions credited, UK tax paid, into a UK bank (another tick in the box to maintain UK residency) and bring them out by bank transfer into a GBP account in Turkey and convert to Lira 'as and when', or bring cash out (within the cash export/import rules) when I travel, or get relatives and friends to bring it out as cash when they visit.
Some pension rules lose their annual 'index linking' when paid into a foreign account.  Some may use a fixed rate of exchange, reviewed only periodically; some use the exchange rate on the day of payment.
How safe is your cash in a Greek account, should the bank/government collapse?  You could build up a significant balance if you don't spend it all as it is paid.
The above info is limited, I know, but I hope it helps you get closer to a decision.
All the best ...
Mark

some links .....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/benefits-an … witzerlandhttps://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroadhttps://hoxtoncapital.com/hcm-uk-pensio … 2EEALw_wcB

Regards,
Mark

Hello helitech,thankyou very much for your long reply,it was kind of you.Yes I am a resident in Greece,I just got the residency permit when UK did the Brexit and that was quite stressful,the permit AND Brexit .It says that ones pension is not taxed before you get it but that one will add up ones total income including pension to the value of 12 and half thousand and then start to paying  tax on all that which is above that number,self assessment. When I had my flat rented in UK the tax office used to send me a form here to fill in about how much I earned from the rent and as it was below the tax thresh- hold I never payed anything. I may go the UK and open a bank account there and have it paid there depending how Covid goes or comes. Thankyou again

Thanks not required ...
When I said that HM Government pensions were paid 'after tax', I should have said 'are taxable at source, if applicable'.
You are quite correct - if income generated in UK is greater than personal allowances, tax will be applied.  As you say ... your self-assessment will sort it all out.
All the best ....
Mark

Thankyou Mark once again,I wish you all the best and for if you move away from Turkey to some other lands,there lots of lands,just not allowed to settle anywhere we please always especially for Brits now with Brexit.